“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Gearhart, Oregon
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel and the room was very nice. The lobby is a bit different but welcoming. There are no luggage carriers but they get a hand truck from the back room to take up bags which is not very effective or esthetic. The room was a king (not many of those available) and had an extra seating area with a spa tub along with a double shower. We had trouble getting hot water and had to call housekeeping and that was resolved. The gas fireplace quit working and we didn't call housekeeping to fix it. They charged $50 for the dog and she was supposed to receive a blanket, bowl, biscuits and bottled water which never appeared and, once again, I didn't want to have to call housekeeping again. That was disappointing. The refrigerator was very small and there was no microwave. The bed was comfortable and linens wonderful. The area has lovely architecture but is not in the safest area of town. Walking the dog meant going across the street to the grass area and returning. Parking is limited and we parked on the street. The restaurant delivered room service for dinner and it was delicious. Breakfast comes with the room and we requested room service because we don't leave the dog alone in the room but the message was not delivered to the restaurant so I had to go down and request it directly from the restaurant. They were very nice about it and brought it up. I expected a little more from this upscale facility, sorry to say.

Room Tip: The Hotel is the only facility in the group that has an elevator....keep this in mind if you stay on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
reviewer8062, Manager at Carter House Inns, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
We love to get reviews with comments and suggestions from our guest. You have given us "food for thought" and your experience at our hotel will help us "fine tooth" our services.

Have a great summer!
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed at the Carter House Inn May 10 - 13, '12. Despite a full house for graduation weekend, the service was as great as the accommodations! The rooms are ,of course, clean and quiet and well appointed withe best linens, toiletries and robes one would expect of a five star hotel. Ashley made us feel as if we were her own houseguests, Tanya was right there with a smile and a delicious hot breakfast each morning of our stay. Thanks Carter House for another relaxing, enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Any of the suites or rooms I have stayed in were very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thanks for writing a review of Carter House Inns in Eureka, Ca, for Trip Advisor. Please keep coming back!
Staff and Manager
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I enjoyed my stay so much last year that I made a point to re-book on a business trip again. It makes business much more pleasurable when you stay at Carter House Inns. Wonderful well maintained hotel with great service. I stayed in the main building where the resturant and bar is - very convenient. The complimentary breakfast and wine tasting with evening snack is a wonderful bonus. I will come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Madelyn M
Dear Guest,
We at Carter House Inns appreciate your review and want to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a review. Good luck in all your travels.
Staff and Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Was here only for 1 night while on business. The Carter House is actually several older I believe Historic Buildings that are near each other that comprise the BB. The main building has the restaurant and I believe 20+ Guest Rooms, there is a second main building across the street plus 1 or 2 Cottages with "Gourmet" kitchens (I didn't see it for myself).

I was in the main building with the restaurant and Front Desk Staff. The building is old, the furniture is older as are the furnishings & Bedding. I was on the second floor and the room was very loud and it was very easy to hear street noise. I believe because of a lack of insulation.

The bed was old and creeky but actually really comfortable. Hot water was spotty as you would guess for an older building. Older folks and small Children should be careful because a couple of time the water went from normal hot to really cold to extremely hot in a short period of time without touching the controls.

The room itself wasn't particularly clean but I do have to say I say the cleaning staff cleaning the common areas in the main building rather thoroughly.

The staff at the BB were all incredible nice and helpful and really went out of their way to assist you. No staff is left onsite after 11PM.

Your rate includes breakfast (which was pretty good), Wine and Cheese at around 5PM and then cookies and Tea at 8PM.

The rate I paid wasn't particulary good but there really doesn't seem to be much else in the area so I am going on a bit of faith the price I paid was reasonable.

I wasn't thrilled with my staff but I wasn't unhappy and would try it again. In reality the Carter House doesn't have much competition.

The hotel Restaurant 301 was really good and they offer discounts on local wines. Also there is a small bar above the check in desk. Fun little bar area with a nice staff too.

Room Tip: Staff off the street and check out your room first...they let you check out your room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank P4620
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Oh, my -- who would think that in a town like Eureka there would be such an amazing, special, unique place to stay. On our way up the coast my husband decided to help celebrate my birthday with a surprising stay at this hotel. He called, asked help in arranging a great birthday for me, and they complied. They gave us an amazing room with a separate fireplace/sitting area, beautiful canopied bed, windows galore, and huge tub. They made reservations at their restaurant (301) -- the best meal of our vacation. Arranged a massage in the room, and bought flowers and had them waiting in our room. Everyone knew us by name and made sure we were taken care of. They offered cheese/crackers and wine in the early evening and breakfast in the morning (but don't plan on eating if you need to leave early -- it's not set up until 7:30 or so). The beds were incredible, the rooms clean and neat, and the service beyond perfect. Traveling down the coast can be stressful (too many twisty roads), but staying at the Carter House Inn makes it all worth it.

Room Tip: Main hotel rooms were wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottPortland_Oregon
MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Hotel was really nice and quaint and romantic. I'd definitely stay there again.

Did a lot of research on food in the area and ended up eating at their restaurant 301 for dinner and the complementary breakfast. Neither meal was worth eating. We ate at a lot of 5 star restaurants on our week long northern CA trip and these were the only two meals we completely regretted. Their chef couldn't even make an over-easy egg correctly. Even at free they'd be something to skip, at their high prices its a joke.

Skip the food, stay at the hotel. No idea where to eat in Eureka, but you're better off going without food than eating at Restaurant 301.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank the_mace
Groveland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Selected the Carter house based on many good reviews. Very disappointed for the price. Family booked all 3 suites in the Bell Cottage. Beds were very comfortable. Kitchen and bathrooms in serious need of an update. Common area cloth furniture needs cleaned or replaced. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was terrible. Omlettes tasted like salt. Free wine is good but skip the appetizers. Since we had the entire cottage our stay was pleasant. Would have been very unhappy to share with other travelers as rooms are very close together and not soundproof. I would not stay here again as I prefer more modern and private rooms. If you enjoy B&Bs they do have some rooms that looked very nice and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Gleavco
reviewer8062, Manager at Carter House Inns, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for letting us know that you did enjoy the staff, the comfy beds, and the complimentary wine while you were at Carter House Inns. However, we were sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We are always working on upgrading, renovating, and refurbishing our rooms and the amenities in the Hotel, the House, and the Cottages. We thank you for your suggestions and we will certainly take them to heart.

Best wishes