“A must stay gem!”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Sydney, Australia
“A must stay gem!”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

If you are looking for accommodation in Eureka or near Humboldt Redwood State Park, look no further than Carter House Inn. I just returned from a night here and was very impressed. I did a lot of online research and was pleased with my choice.

The room ('Really Nice Queen' Room 212) was charming, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was large with lots of vanity space, great water pressure and all the amenities, including soft bath robes. I was staying on the second floor and had no issue with noise that others have written about. Television included a selection of Direct TV channels and there was a DVD player.

The staff were excellent - I was shown to my room by a friendly and professional front desk attendant and Tanya in the restaurant was very efficient and friendly. It is this type of service that makes this hotel stand out from an anonymous chain.

The breakfast was delicious - a buffet selection of granola, fresh berries, scrumptious fresh pastries (slices of berry galette, walnut tarts and strawberry muffins) and toast in addition to a hot freshly cooked egg scramble with green onions and cheese and crispy bacon. Perfectly cooked, loads of flavor and melt in the mouth. My compliments to John the chef! It was the perfect way to start the day and kept me going through to a late lunch. It was clear that some of the guests at breakfast were regulars (business travelers) and I was impressed that Tanya knew their names and preferences and made new guests feel very welcome. I can see why people come back!

Wine and cheese was served in the afternoon and tea, coffee and cookies at night. Very nice touches that gave this hotel an intimate bed and breakfast feel.

Great location too! Just a few blocks walk from the start of Old Town Eureka with many restaurants and shops.

I felt my stay was extremely good value and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Iznik8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Carter House Inns in Eureka is a very nice, upscale way to pamper yourself as you tour the incredible beauty, coastlines, and magnificent redwood state and national parks in this area of northern California. At the start of our visits to all this scenery, Audrey (the manager) laid out a day's itinerary that we followed to the letter. It was perfect. That evening, we were able to relax with fine wines and a terrific five-course dinner, right in the Inn itself.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Talk to Audrey, the hotel manager.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dickengebretson
NYC
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The Carter House Inn is a true gem and when I return will make sure to spend multiple nights here.

From the moment I arrived, the staff was professional, pleasant and always accommodating. The complimentary wine was excellent and was a welcome treat after a long day on the road.

My room had all those extra touches that showed the pride of ownership.

If you are a foodie and appreciate a great dining experience - plan an evening at the inns' restaurant. The tasting menu with wine pairings far exceeded my expectations and was one of the highlights of my weeklong California coast trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SeatoSeaNYC
Bloomfield Township, Michigan
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed here for three nights, service was great, loved the Bar Tender, named Connnor, who helped us plan our trip down Napa way. He had great suggestions and poured the house wine "Envy" each evening, complementary to Inn staying guests. Breakfast was in the restaurant and always light and refreshing. We also ate dinner here one night, and enjoyed the selections the chef made. Impressive wine list and lots of help choosing the correct wine/dinner pairings. Lovely fireplace in the main room, fresh fruit always available, clean rooms ( somewhat small with little closet space ).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2011

the staff at the Carter Inn are very very attentive and the Inn is decorated so very nicely. We had a very nice stay there. Wine tasting and appetizers in the late afternoon, followed by cookies and coffee and tea in the evening. In the morning a great breakfast bar and hot breakfast served.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mimjones
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Carter House- Eureka, CA

Like many of you, I never write reviews, but this time I was motivated…not because I was tremendously impressed, but rather because I was deeply disappointed that I had paid so dearly ($$$) to stay at Carter House, just north of the Giant Redwood Forest, in Eureka, CA. Let me begin by saying that I spend most of my nights in hotels...not by choice. I am a very seasoned traveler and know when I have been over-charged for services rendered.

When I arrived at Carter House, I had no idea where to check in. They own 3-4 Victorian style buildings, but where is registration? I phoned and got through to an answering service that knew nothing. I went knocking on doors and found that registration is at the restaurant/bar. There was no one to check me in because they were helping other clients and had left the registration building, so the bar-tender offered us a glass of complimentary wine and showed us to a seating area where there was finger food available from 4:00-5:00 only, so don’t be late if you want a small glass of free wine. Did I say small? Unfortunately, I was not offered a refill.

Happy hour, from 5:00-6:00 pm at the bar, is 50% off all drinks, but we decided to pass and checked into our room. Oh, by the way…did I mention that one of their employees dropped a beer bottle right next to the chair I was about to sit down in…the bottle exploded all over the floor and rug and the poor guy spent the next 20 minutes cleaning up his mess right where we were suppose to be seated in front of the fire place where they was no fire.

The room was nice as depicted on the website, but was not in the Victorian Mansion highlighted on the website. Rather it was in the same building as the restaurant on the 2nd floor. Big disappointment! I checked out the restaurant menu and found that it would cost approximately $110 per person and up, not counting tax or tip to eat the five course dinner that came with wine tastings, limited to 3 ounce glasses. I figured this was beyond my budget for the night, so I went and got some carry out and we enjoyed movies in our room.

Our two, double-bed room, was rather large, well appointed and nicely decorated.
The beds were soft, which I distinctly dislike… and the place was noisy…both from the hall side and the street side. We could every car door slam shut for hours. Let me tell you about the whirlpool bath. When the folks in the room next to us turned on the whirlpool, it honestly sounded as if it were in our room and we could hear them bathing and splashing about. Very annoying!

This morning we had breakfast in the Carter House Restaurant and it was outstanding! Our server, Amber, was the best Carter house employee we met. She was kind, eager to please and informative about the Redwoods! Breakfast was priced at $16.00 and was a bargain for that price. Bravo!

So overall, do I sound dissatisfied? Yes, I was! Chiefly because the Carter House is over-rated. Surely this is not the top rated accommodation in Eureka! There has to be something, just as nice, at half the cost…unless of course you figure their breakfast is worth about $50 per person. No thanks! I won’t be back to the Carter House. I will however visit the Redwoods again! Busy traveler from the Midwest.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank MehlvilleHS
Melbourne
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We Stayed 2 nights at this magnifcent hotel, Its not a 3.5 stars as indicated Id easily give it a 6 stars. They upgraded us to a suite with a whirlpool, shame we only had time to use it once but it was wonderful. Room was spacious and gorgeous, staff were fantastic, breakfast delicous I mean what more can I say. Our stay there was perfect!! I loved Eureka!! out of all the other pl;aces we stayed

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business