“In a class of its own”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“In a class of its own”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Very little of the CA coast is inaccessible by car. This it. Admire the gorgeous scenery without any interference from modern civilization. The State Park has trouble maintaining this remote resource, so do your part and keep it clean and clear.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank lizardl3gs

Terre Haute
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Wonderful last minute addition to our trip”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My son (14) and I squeezed in an easy 2-night trip of the northern 8 miles or so of the LCT. Note the road coming on from 101 through the redwood state park is tough on brakes. :)

Since we arrived late afternoon, we only did the few miles to the lighthouse. A couple were already squeezed into the top of it so we set up our tent on the south side out of most of the wind. It WILL be windy on the coast! The next day we ventured down to Randall Creek. I also went further to Spanish Flats and back while my son played on the beach.

After having to hike through lots of cinders at our first stop, Lassen Volcanic National Park, the sand and rocks weren't that much harder to traverse. It helps a lot to walk in wet sand or in other people's tracks.

Be prepared for lots of wind, quick-forming storms, poison oak (which I got despite long pants) and know the tide tables. A bear canister is also required for all smellables.

I'm so glad we adjusted our road trip schedule to squeeze in the couple nights here!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Michael R
Escondido, California
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Magnificent!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

When on the main street (CA-211) in Ferndale, a town that is a designated State Historical Landmark, make a right turn onto Ocean Avenue. In about 500 feet at the next intersection, turn left onto Mattole Road, selected by National Geographic as one of the thirty-six most scenic drives in the country. This route takes you to "The Lost Coast," the longest completely undeveloped stretch of shoreline in California. Flanked by the highest seaside mountains in the Continental United States, the Lost Coast at sea level provides one of the most remote wilderness treks in the lower 48 states. Along the way, you will pass a former stagecoach stop called Capetown; and along the coast south of Cape Mendocino is the westernmost point in the continental United States. Before starting out on this remote beautiful drive, make sure that your vehicle's gas tank is full, and that you have ample food and water.

Visited November 2012
8 Thank MrLorin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best 3 day hike ever!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've done ALOT of long distance backpacking along the AT and North Country trails and this was was most beautiful 25 miles I've ever seen. Yeah, the sand and rocks can be difficult and a little tiring. But, just slow down and enjoy the ocean life. You'll get more than ample collagen time on the level, lush flats. Yes, the trail is not not well marked. But how lost can you get? Makes it even more interesting. I carry a heavy pack so given the potential for quick, wet changes in weather I packed a 10x12 tarp along with my tent and it's a GOOD idea to take a light pair of water shoes for stream crossings. Trust me. The hike goes TOO fast. Do this one and find Gods playground. AWE INSPIRING!

9 Thank Johnfrombrm
Lafayette, Indiana
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great trip”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We drove the Lost Coast Trail when leaving Eureka for Mendocino. It was a narrow, winding road with spectacular views of the coast in the middle stretch, winding mountain roads at either end. Much of it travels through dairy country populated by cows rather than people. The coast is rugged. Beaches are pebbly or rocky. Mattole road ends up by winding through groves of huge redwoods at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It took more than 3 hours in total but was well worth the drive. Be sure to bring food and have a full gas tank as amenities along the road are few.

Visited October 2012