“A good deal”

Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Traveling down to S.F., I booked a room here via TripAdvisor and was satisfied. It is an older property (but then I wasn't expecting the Ritz), and very clean so I received a good night's sleep. The manager was very helpful. For the price and easy access, I would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank tokyorose50
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you tokyorose50 for your review. We are happy that you found value at our property and enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Simple and basic BUT very clean, affordable, and friendly!!!! I grew up hearing k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) well there is nothing stupid about this place, they have kept it simple and thereby quite affordable. Did I mention this motel is also very clean and very friendly with a great knowledge of the area (they answered all of my questions and were helpful on finding what I was looking for)!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank BigPitBull
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you BigPitBull for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed our "clean and very friendly" environment. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Got in late, slept, got up & left town. That was enough. The room was small, old, and a bit rundown. Overpriced at $95/nite. There are about eight parking spaces, otherwise you're on the street, like we were.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you cptjoe36 for your review. We were disheartened to read some of your negative remarks regarding our establishment. Keep in mind, you were staying a block away from "Old Town" Eureka and are sorry that you did not appreciate our unique architecture which many other customers have enjoyed.

We are indeed an "old" motel, (50 plus years of service and counting) but you seem to have mistakenly equated that to "Run down". We would love for you to be more specific on what exactly you found was "run down". In any event, we constantly take inventory of "run down" items, and if they are, we replace them when necessary.

As far as the price, we are in line with other budget motels in the area during the busiest month of the year. Perhaps try making a reservation in advance next time at another establishment which fits your budgetary needs. I can't assure that you will be happy with their service and rooms though. Our rooms are not enormous, but they are maintained exceptionally well. Were you told upon check in that the motel was brand new? Most people know from the minute they step foot on our property that we compliment the Old Town area quite well.

Lastly, it seems you also were misinformed about the number of parking spaces we have. We have 21 parking spots (not 8 as you stated), which include 2 parking lots (both inside and behind the motel), along with an abundance of street parking as you stated.

It seems you were misinformed about quite a few things and we apologize if this came from our end. However, for a budget motel, we offer the best service in town and go above and beyond what others can offer. We hope you will join us once again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The motel is kitty-corner from the jail. There was the occasional 'homeless' person. However, I traveled a lot in Eureka and found the homeless in virtually every neighborhood. It is wise to be on your guard ANYWHERE (in ANY city) if you choose to go out late at night.
The room was above the parking area and was accessed by a stairway. The fact that it was on the second story allowed for the 'exterior windows' to be open for ventilation when desired. I felt very safe because of those arrangements. I felt even safer because the motel was monitored in most locations (I didn't check all the locations) with security cameras. In addition there were signs advising that no loitering on this property would tolerated - that the police would be called - and I believed that management would in fact follow through!
My room faced 101 South. The traffic noise was not heard - primarily because the TV was being watched until about 1 AM (night-owl!)! Traffic decreased to the occasional vehicle in the wee hours, so the noise was insignificant. I never heard my motel neighbors - and they never complained of the TV noise!!
The room was basic. The room was clean! While it was small, there was plenty of room to eat, dress or kick back and relax. The room had two queen beds with small 'bureau' in between and two lights above (there was a main light in the room that was switched on at the entry door); a table with 2 chairs; a dresser with mirror on the wall behind; a microwave, refrigerator (not noisy), a coffee maker (free coffee packets/cups etc. No further comment as I don't drink coffee!) and a closet with plenty of 'hanging' room. The bathroom was of sufficient size to do what you had to do without elbows hitting the wall - or even coming close!! It had the sink, toilet, plenty of towels, a shower, free hand soap and free packets of hair shampoo. [I hope I didn't forget anything!]
For (mostly) the women: bring your own shampoo, as the packets provided were too small for anyone with significant hair. Also, there is no hair dryer, so bring your own. The electrical outlet in the bathroom did not work (probably for safety reasons, even though it was on a GFI circuit). You might want to bring a small extension cord in order to use the hair dryer in the other room!
The main reasons that I chose this motel were reflected in most of the other reviews: management extremely friendly (even when there was a parking issue!!); the price was right (about $70 per night); the place was clean; there was a lot of security by way of cameras; it is located within walking distance of 'Old Town.' [Four stars were given instead of five 'cause I'm a snob and the unit is definitely not modern!]
I traveled with my adult daughter. She is a 'miss priss' (sorry daughter), and is high maintenance. She would not stay here again if given the choice of accomodations. I am low maintenance - this facility took care of all my needs.
Sorry this was so long, but you should have gotten a very good idea of the facilities if you persisted in reading this!!

Room Tip: Pick #34 at the front!! Neighbors on only one side. Very close to the exit/stairs. Traffic noise in...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jujubee2180
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you jujubee2180 for your very detailed review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Just a few things, we do provide hair dryers upon request so in the future, please contact the front desk for assistance. Also, your rating of 4/5 stars based on the opinion that our rooms are not "modern" is understandable, however we, along with other budget motels, do not claim to have modern rooms. Keep in mind when rating motels to rate them based on their respective categories (budget motels in one and luxury hotels in another). Based on a budget motel category, almost all of our previous customers would rate us as 5/5. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a one night stopover on our way north to Seattle. The room on the whole was very clean however I found numerous long dark hairs on my towel as I got out the shower which was disappointing. The room had a tv, fridge ( which made a noise all night), microwave and coffee maker so was well equipped but was very dark as there was not much natural light coming in. The owner was very helpful and suggested a place to eat close by which we enjoyed. However the impression we got of Eureka from driving around was not a positive one. I would not return.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank rbutravels

Thank you rbutravels for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our motel. We wish that we could change your perception of our beautiful city of Eureka, however that is something that is out of our control. When reviewing on tripadvisor, we ask our customers to keep their ratings solely based on the property itself as the rest is out of our control. However, we will try our best to bring your concerns up at the next town hall meeting. Come visit us again!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a typical motel- basic rooms, a bit worse for wear in places and in a fairly good location in what is a fairly backward/ run down town.

The person behind the front desk was helpful upon arrival as he informed me of places to eat/ visit.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ChipRocket

Thank you ChipRocket for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your lodging at our location. Unfortunately we have no control over your impression of the city of Eureka and are sad that it didn't meet your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Town House Motel in downtown Eureka is an interesting, older "futuristic" building. I enjoy staying in older motels with character or history. If you do, you'll enjoy the convenient location, attractive and super-clean rooms, wonderful owner-operator, as well as the reasonable price.
On the phone and before my arrival, the owner recommended places to see in the area. He also recommended a great, nearby restaurant which we enjoyed very much. Many to choose from.
The rooms are fairly basic, and surprisingly quiet for being off downtown Highway 101. There are security cameras and the place is well lighted at night.
Save the money and have a great time in downtown Eureka.

Room Tip: There are newer rooms and the original rooms. I stayed in a newer room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MtDavid
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Thank you MtDavid for your review! We are extremely happy that your stay was comfortable and you enjoyed our UNIQUE architecture. It's definitely an attribute many of our customers appreciate. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.