“Very Clean, Excellent Service, Nice Room, Great Management.”

Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at this motel for 14 days and found it to be clean, well managed and safe. The owner/manager is on site and the property is well lit with security cameras and secure parking is available in an onsite parking garage. The manager was always available, courteous and concerned that my needs were met. All in all, a nice, clean, pleasant environment with super courteous personnel. I'd definitely stay there again. The location is good for walking downtown and close to historic buildings and victorian homes. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JESIKAMAY
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you JESIKAMAY for your review. We are happy that you found our customer service to be of a high level of standard and look forward to seeing you again for an even longer stay!

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Motels like this, in my opinion, is what Tripadvisor is all about. I never would have picked it, if it weren't TA rated #3. Really quiet and well appointed. Definitely not super modern or anything, but I needed a bed that night and some quiet and that's what I got. My only complaint was that I had a guaranteed reservation and I told the person I made the rez with that I may be checking in late. When I got there at 11pm, the gentleman at the desk apologized that he had forgotten to heat up the room and that the window in the bathroom was open a crack (to air it out, I assume). Indeed it was freezing in there, but I was able to heat it up in about 10 minutes and at least he apologized...most places wouldn't even care. And, it was a good lesson for me to just call ahead and make sure I check in to a warm room....wherever I travel to.

Room Tip: If you check at night in the dead of winter at any hotel, call ahead and ask to have the room warm...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank seeksocean

Thank you seeksocean for your review. We try our best to accommodate our customers and will be happy to do whatever is within our means to make your stay with us comfortable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Town House is a basic motel with one huge difference, the manager is the most customer service oriented person I have met in my travels. I am a business traveller (sometimes as much as 30-40 weeks per year) and I have been doing this for years. I have seen my fair share of hotels, motels, inns, etc and the manager here did things that no 5 star hotel would have done. The accomdations are good, basic needs are met, etc. We had an issue with with my sons camera being misplaced that showed how much the manager here cares. He took this on as a personal mission, he checked in with us on a regular basis, he searched every where he could think, including going through ALL of the dirty linens, then called me to say he wanted to make up for this, liek thi was his fault. My wife had bought a replacment camera and he gave us credity equal to the price of the camera. WHAT??? A motel with character, what is the world coming to. We went off to the redwoods north of Eureka and had a great day. We got back and the manager was beamimg because he had found the camera! It had fallen in the trash and he and his guy had found it. He said that it was a kids Christmas present and that made it a special circumstabce to him. I gladly took the camera back, and put the refund back on my card. Great story, but wait it gets better. In the morning the manager told me he thought about this and he wouldn't feel right taking the money back! OMG what is the deal here, you really care?? He woudl not take NO for an answer so I took the money back, and donated it to Seconf Harvest Food Bank because it was the right thing to do. This was the most amazing story in 25+ years of travel. I hope that anyome that reads this stays here just knowing this is a good place.

Room Tip: Ask the manager, trust me he'll take care of you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Bob R

Thank you Bob R for your review. We are an honest establishment and are glad that you were able to experience a positive experience with your family. We are extremely glad that you described our place as a "motel with character". We appreciate you donating the refund to Second Harvest Food Bank and look forward to having you as a guest in the future again.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Next trip to Eureka I will return here mostly for the location and good vibes from management. Make sure you come with appropriate expectations. This is a VERY basic motel set-up. Pros are a very good central location and secure parking. Room was tidy and clean. Front desk (who I think was the owner) was super nice, helpful, and made you feel like you were giving your money to a real business run by real human beings.Cons are that it is across the street from the police station/courthouse/holding pens and next door to what looks to be a cop bar. Means (probably) good security but not the most lovely setting. However, you are one or two walkable blocks away from the renovated downtown area where you are going to want to end up given the somewhat battered state of the rest of Eureka. Put another way, the hotel somehow fits in with the whole Eureka experience (it ain't South Beach). Felt more "real" and I was happier walking a shorter distance home from dinner to here vs the other alternatives.

Room Tip: They have rooms on the south side that are quieter - don't face the street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank wbsk

Thank you wbsk for your honest review. We are glad that you enjoyed our "basic motel set-up". This is exactly what we offer our guests and hope to see you again soon during your next visit to the North Coast.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Eureka was the first stop of a five day drive down the California coast. We wanted to mix our stays between "local" places and chains. We selected this motel on the strength of it's #3 ranking and relatively low rate. It''s around the corner from the historic Carson Mansion.

Light sleepers should note that it's on the main drag (101) and because it is a small motel it's not really possible to get away from highway noise. I asked for a quiet room and was put as far away from 101 as possible. There was still some noise but not too bad. All but about three rooms are on the second floor and there is no third floor so you don't need to worry about noise from "upstairs."

The rooms are small and there is no breakfast. There's a Denny's a few blocks south on the northbound side of 101 (5th street; 4th street is 101 south and one way). Shower lovers will appreciate that the hot water is HOT and gets there fast. There's only a shower stall; no bathtub.

The motel is in the "business" downtown. The county jail is about a block away. There are some street people in the area but I never felt threatened and we walked back to the motel from a nearby restaurant around 8 PM. You can walk to the historic district.

As others mentioned, the owner is very helpful with suggestions about the Eureka area. I'm not sure what another reviewer meant by saying Eureka is not a tourist town.

It has a very nice historic area that extends from the water to about 5 blocks inland and is about a dozen streets "long." This area has many shops, dining, etc. Carriage rides too. Many of the buildings in Old Town, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, have beautiful murals and there are a number of nice Victorian homes.

We only had about two hours in Old Town before it became dark (and cold, since it was late November) and I wish we had about two more hours. We dined at a local Vietnamese, Thai and Laotian restaurant (Hue, which I'll review separately) which is two blocks form this motel.

I'd have no hesitation staying here for a night again. But it's not my type of place for a stay of three or more days.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you Travel_Grognard for your review. We appreciate your honest review but wanted to clarify that not all our rooms are shower only. Various rooms in our establishment have tubs and we might be able to accommodate you in the future based on availability. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Eureka is not a great town, but it near of the Redwoods !!!!

Eureka is expensive but the town house is affordable.
Everything was clean, the parking is under the rooms and under camera surveillance.
Wifi worked A1
Bed where comfy.

Would go there any time back if I have to stay in Eureka.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
EurekaTownHouseMotel, Manager at Town House Motel - Historic Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Thank you SebTD for your review during your stay. We are happy that you found our establishment affordable, comfortable, and clean. We look forward to your next visit with us in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stayed here fOr the fall admissions day at humboldt. I came with the whole family for my sisters accePtance into the school! When we got here they told us they had booked the same room twice and upgraded us to a family suite which was fantastic. The location is a bit dubious but then again it is located in old town eureka, so don't be surprised if the homeless come out with tue sun. Overall it was a very relaxed stay, room was pristinely clean, shower had the best pressure iv experienced yet, the area is extremely quiet but one thing! Watch out for the poles... My dad totally shaved off a rear view mirror on it!! Lol. I would definitely stay here again next time I come drop off my sister.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you Livelovetravelart for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your upgrade due to our error in booking. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to your next visit with us soon.