“Nice - but on the freeway”
Review of Bayview Motel

Bayview Motel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor. I agree the room is very clean, and has lots of space. However, it is right on the freeway. I did not read anywhere about the noise -- but it is noisy. Thank god we always carry earplugs. Also, I don't care for flourescent lights and that is what is in all the canned lights. There are no lamps - just canned lights.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RoadTripTime

Reviewed October 29, 2006

Growing up, my mother always told me that the difference between hotels and motels was the class. Well, this property definitely fits in the "motel" category.

I booked the "Romantic Getaway" room several weeks in advance. Upon our arrival, there was a domestic dispute occurring in the parking lot. A man and woman were yelling at each other in a van, while their small child watched. We thought it was a little odd, but proceeded into the office. The office is actually someone's personal residence, and it was very uncomfortable walking into the middle of their dining room during dinner.

After giving the clerk my name, he informed me that the room I had reserved (with the jacuzzi) was not available even though I'd held it with my credit card. He said he'd given away our room and there were no other rooms with hottubs available. He had a very poor attitidue, and was quite flippant. This was NOT the warm welcome we were expecting after driving 400+ miles.

We left and stayed elsewhere. If you're looking for friendly customer service, this isn't the property for you.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Pochini
Reviewed October 5, 2006

After reading all the wonderful reviews on the Bayview Motel, my husband and I chose it as the base for our seven-night (Sept. 9-16) Redwood vacation. We had the gazebo room, also called the honeymoon suite, replete with numerous amenities, as well as gas fireplace and whirlpool. The immenseness and cleanliness WAS awesome.

Furnishings were simple, yet elegant; the particular attention given to details was welcoming (extra pillows and towels, loveseat and coffee table, small table and chairs, as well as wet bar, fridge and extra countertop). How many motel rooms do you stay in with trey ceilings and recessed lighting? We did ask for a lamp for the nightstand. The bathroom with two lavatories was really beautiful and large enough to accommodate a wheelchair if needed. Our balcony was spacious. Even their regular-sized rooms were larger than most.

One drawback was that the king mattress should either be flipped or replaced. Also, I wonder why no one has mentioned the din from the trucks and motorcycles on Hwy. 101 directly below our balcony - perhaps on an overnight stay, it wouldn't be noticed as much - my husband said he wasn't too bothered by it. And the "No Vacancy" sign did seem to be ON each evening.

We had good meals at the Sea Grill and Marina Cafe (view was great), but the "halibut and chips" at the Lost Coast Brewery was so good (and priced right) that we ate there our last two nights.

For a stay in Eureka, we too highly recommend this motel. And sweet Morris, the owners' cat, was often around to take a pat from anyone who cared to give it, but was in no way a pest.

A better stay OR value would be hard to find.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Destenn
Reviewed September 22, 2006

This is a great place if you're traveling the west coast. I selected it because of the comments here on TripAdvisor. Although we stayed just one night I know why there were no negative comments.

The front office is located across the parking lot in the home of the owners. Walking into the living room while dinner was being prepared right away gave the feeling that you were visiting friends. Morris the cat greets visitors when he's not napping. He even gave us an escort to our room when we returned from a late dinner!

The rooms have all recently been remodeled. If you are expecting the Ritz, this isn't it. However, it was spotless with all new furnishings. There are many lights in the walls and ceilings which allows you to get just the right lighting that you desire - all without cluttering the room with lamps.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone passing through Eureka. Its comfortable, clean and friendly!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple