“Wow, Just Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Ritz Eureka
Nashville, Tennessee
“Wow, Just Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

It was memorial day, and apparently most of the town is closed up. Our first two dinner choices didn't pan out, so we decided to try The Ritz, mainly because it was open. We were the only customers at 8:00, which probably should have been our first clue that this place was no good.

Yelp categorizes The Ritz as Asian fusion, but that's definitely not accurate. It's basically, "we have Asian appetizers, and oh yeah, we also have fondue." I didn't really want fondue, so I decided to just mix and match the appetizers to make my own version of tapas. I guess it's good that I wasn't ordering fondue, since they were out of Swizz cheese.

The three appetizers I picked out were 1) Calamari, tossed with garlic, ginger, and basil; 2) Crispy prawns with sweet chili sauce; and 3) Duck potstickers with plum sauce.

My prawns came tempura fried. The batter tasted good, but it was way too crispy, bordering on hard. The sweet chili sauce made things better, but didn't fix it completely.

The potstickers were pretty decent, but again, didn't wow me. The duck and casings were both soft and tender. I liked the plum sauce, although it was a little too salty.

I ended with the tempura-fried calamari, which was ok but not phenomenal by any means. I couldn't really taste ginger or basil though. There also wasn't enough calamari on the plate for the price they were charging. There were a lot of random grilled onions (red and green) scattered across the plate. They were tasty, just a little out of place.

The potstickers and prawns came out fairly quickly, but for some reason the calamari took forever to come to our table. The waitress was very nice, although I felt like she was compensating for the poor kitchen staff. This place has some potential, but it's definitely there yet.

Of the meals on our Highway 101 roadtrip, this was the only one that really missed the mark food-wise.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend