“Decent Hotel, but needs new BEDS!!”
Review of Super 8 Eureka

Super 8 Eureka
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family just stayed here for the weekend to get out of the 114 degree heat in Red Bluff/Redding area. Weather was beautiful, 65 degrees and sunny the entire stay.

Hotel was fairly outdated for the price. Paid over $100/nt for a 2 queen room. Check in was easy and staff was friendly. Parking lot was close to room and seemed pretty safe. The room was probably 85 degrees inside, with no air conditioner, so if you are here during the warmer summer months, it may get a little hot/stuffy in the room. The front desk did give us a fan to use in addition to the ceiling fan. The room itself was decent. Bedding was outdated, and carpet was in very poor condition (stained enough to require sandals inside the room). Also, around any of the corners, behind the curtains, along the baseboards, the carpet had not been vacuumed or shampooed (probably over a year) and was just not clean at all. The room had a fridge/microwave which worked perfectly and were extremely clean. The TV had lots of cable channels and was good for killing time. The bathrooms were clean (very clean) and didn't run out of hot water at all and no problems with water pressure.The bathroom was great.

The hotel also has an indoor "Heated" pool on the 2nd floor, and was great for the family. I wish the pool had tiered stairs into the pool for the kids, but just has the metal sidewall stairs and was fairly deep in the shallow end (4 ft). The pool was clean, but definitely could use a face lift. Their was missing tiles, uneven tiling, dirty grout. The hotel had a 3 person hot tub which was nice and also had a sauna. The balcony was nice too, and connects to the pool area and overlooks Eureka. We didn't know the hotel offered a free continental breakfast, so don't have an opinion on that. They should have advertised somewhere...

My main problem was the beds. They were the most uncomfortable beds my wife or I have ever slept on in my entire life. I woke up probably 4-5 times throughout the night tossing/turning. The pillows were extra small, so combine that with a slab or concrete, I mean queen size bed, and its a recipe for no sleep. I would not have stayed here a 2nd night even if it was free, due to the bedding itself. Horrible horrible. Also the wifi was slow. It reminded me of "dial-up", just in a wireless format.

The neighborhood was a bit shady... I wouldn't walk anywhere near here after dark, especially with kids. The cops arrested someone across the street at the laundromat while we were there. Clam Beach was awesome and right down the way... beautiful beach. Also Lost Coast Brewery was awesome!

Other than that, the hotel was decent, just needs a face life and NEW BEDS. I will unfortunately never stay at another Super 8 unless they advertise new bedding... but my family had a fantastic trip. This hotel needs to focus on renovating a bit, and upgrade a few of the amenities. If those were upgraded, I would definitely stay here again and recommend, however until then....

Room Tip: Request rooms with NEW BEDS!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christopher C

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Earlier today, I was ready to sing the praises of this hotel. Obviously an older motel, but the rooms were equipped with microwaves, refrigerators, hairdryers and TVs. Also, it does have a great indoor pool, spa and sauna.

So, why the one star you ask? Well, I came home after the Fourth of July Fireworks Show to find a cockroach sitting on my pillow. Uber ick! I don't care how nice your pool is, or how friendly your staff seems to be - there was a cockroach in my bed. Enough said.

They offered to allow me to switch rooms. Not on your life! A cockroach in one room means a cockroach in all rooms. I demanded a full refund, but only got half, I moved across the street to the Quality Inn and for just $12.50 more a night and now have a fabulous room.

By the way, the night front desk manager said she had worked there for 10 years and never had a problem like this before, but if you look back at a review from August 2011 (11 months ago) you will see that someone else complained about cockroaches.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed 1 night in this motel. Got a good deal as walk in. Room was ok but beds need a refurbishmend. As usual in Motels carped floor, i don't like... but can't change. Smal breakfast included in price. Waking into hisoric downtown ca 10Min.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lucas D
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is the worst I have stayed in, EVER! To begin with, the room was dirty at check in. The windows barely worked. No air conditioning. Noise. And those are the good points.

The worse was the overall condition of the room and hotel; it is worn and badly in need of a top to bottom upgrade. However, the staff were nice.

BTW, our non-smoking room also smelled. With other choices in down, choose any other than possibly the Motel 6 down the road.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless they do a major upgrade of the property!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom25
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have always been a cheap motel traveler and can handle the simple/low end amenities they offer. That said, this was truly the worst motel experience I have ever had. The most challenging part were the beds. We had two queens in the room and tried both, but they were uncomfortable to the point of both me and my spouse waking up multiple times in the night because a hand had fallen asleep from lack of circulation or we had a pain in our back or neck. We sleep on a futon at home and are not spoiled by good beds, so this was truly an absurd lack of comfort. The next challenge was the neighboring room. The occupant had visitors throughout the night each night we were there. A new knock at the door with some conversation occurred about every hour or so. My presumption is that they were dealing out of the room (I speak as a trained Child Welfare worker who has experience in this area) but I cannot be certain of that. The final issue was the carpet in the room. It was not just stained, but matted down in areas with various colors of stain that were rather foul looking. Normally I would write this off as "cheap motel funk" but this time I ended up with a rash on my feet that I attribute to walking across that carpet barefoot during our four day stay.

On an interesting note, when we checked in the desk clerk said he was giving us his best room so that we could give him a good review online (seeing that we got our room with Priceline). If this was the best room, I would hate to see the others!

Room Tip: No room is worth choosing.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela W
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We needed a place to stay on a spur of the moment trip to Eureka so I checked tripadvisor for motels. The reviews were mixed for the Super 8 with mostly positive so I booked at a very reasonable rate. I was not disappointed and in fact was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean I found the room. I recommend you ask for an inside room as the motel is between two one way streets (101N and 101S). The noise level was very low but could be higher on the outside rooms. I have a favorite seafood restuarant in Eureka at the harbor called Marina Cafe and I discovered that the Super 8 is less than a couple miles away. Great room and meal on the same trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bearfoster
EurekaSuper8, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Eureka, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to the Eureka Super 8 Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

We had a free night w/ Windham Rewards, needed hotel in Eureka area, and though the Super 8 reviews were not so great, we decided to try it. We do not regret. The rooms were huge, with microwave and refrigerator, the bed was comfortable enough. The property is well-maintained, the breakfast was decent, and we used the pool and the spa. And sounds like it is a good value - we will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to the Eureka Super 8 Hotel in California . We look forward to welcoming you back to California again soon and we hope you’ll stay with us at the Eureka Super 8 Motel again!
We are keep trying to be more organized for satisfing our honourble guest.
Thank you again.