“Best Mexican in Eureka - worth the drive to the outskirts of town”

Little Jalisco Taqueria
Ranked #55 of 186 Restaurants in Eureka
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Tacoma, Washington
“Best Mexican in Eureka - worth the drive to the outskirts of town”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

After years of grumbling about the bland and greasy Mexican food in town, I discovered Little Jalisco's Taqueria, which is technically in town but is actually up Humboldt Hill Road. You would never find it unless you knew it was there and went looking.

It is a family run business that makes its own tortillas, chips, and salsas, that are actually spicy and fresh. This is the closest you can get to an a traditional SoCal Mexican-food experience in the county. I had a shredded chicken burrito with sauce, served with tender pinto beans that were not too salty or greasy, and had just a a sprinkling of cheese over it. The side of rice was also flavorful and fresh - not gummy or dried out. I know I shouldn't fixate on these details, but after having eaten at Rita's and Chapala in town, believe me, this was a refreshing change.

I also tasted my husband's enchilada and chili relleno, and I would have been happy with either of those. I am already plotting what I want to try on my next visit - the chili verde, or maybe something with their house-made mole sauce. There is plenty of parking, the decor is colorful with a fun dias de las muertos display, and the service was attentive.

Others may disagree, but as a SoCal native transplanted a few years ago to Humboldt, trust me, this is the place.

• Visited December 2011