“Run -- don't walk -- but call first”

Brick & Fire Bistro
Ranked #1 of 186 Restaurants in Eureka
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: To just call Brick & Fire Bistro an Italian restaurant wouldn't quite describe it. The space is focused on our wood-fired brick oven - the 'cornerstone' of the kitchen. In it we do everything from bake breads & pizzas, roast lamb shanks & pork chops, and bake ziti and polenta lasagna! We have a wine list offering more than 25 wines by the glass, local beers on tap by Redwood Curtain Brewing, and comfortable, professional servers top off your experience. We love serving the food we love.
petaluma, california
“Run -- don't walk -- but call first”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

In the middle of my appetizer I looked at my husband and said, "I don't think four-and-a-half hours is too far to travel for dinner, do you?"
We were halfway home from vacation and, thanks to Trip Advisor, had gotten a table here. It's certainly the best food I've ever had in Eureka. The place is comfortable, patrons are as friendly as the staff. At one point, I considered asking the table next to ours to join us.
The food is cutting-edge good: my sweet corn chowder was prepared with fingerling potatoes, plenty of bacon and fresh jalapeno -- just enough kick to make one happy. Meanwhile my husband, normally considerate, had a cunning look. "Do you really want to try my mushroom cobbler?"
"I shared," I said.
So did he, reluctantly. And I could see why. I mean, marriage is one thing, but mushroom cobbler? Wow.
Our main courses, beef and wild salmon, were as sensational. We'd had to wait briefly at the bar and Larry (the owner?), let me sample wines until I found just the right one.
We were too full for dessert, alas, but that was our fault, not the restaurant.
We felt prices were on the low side, especially for food of this quality, and we'd just come from two weeks of superb dining in Oregon.
So stop reading this review and make a reservation.

Santa Barbara, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better pizza than Rome”
Reviewed June 18, 2010

This restaurant had only been open for two months when we found it on Google on a trip up the California Coast... it is one of the best restaurants we have been to in a long time! And the pizza was better than our favorite pizza place in Rome! We sat at the bar and watched the action in the kitchen.... great rapport among the cooks and serving staff. Everyone seemed to love what they did, and it was evident in the food. Highly recommend it if you are in Eureka!

Eureka, California
“Figs on a Pizza? But it's Good”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Had a sampling of their food at the Eureka Taste of Main Street and had to check it out. We went there for lunch and tried two of their woodfired pizzas. One was a more traditional pizza with house-made sausage and cheese. It was good and had a great crust but the one pizza that took us by surprise was a pouched fig and walnut pizza with chevre. It had a really good whole wheat crust had a great flavor and the toppings really popped.

Eureka, California
“Best Restaurant in Eureka? Could be!”
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I'm normally leery of giving a five-star review to a restaurant based on a single visit. But our experience at Brick & Fire, the successor to the late lamented F Street Cafe, was so uniformly excellent that I'm making an exception.

We were impressed on walking in the door with the decor and ambience, with cozy rust and earth tones and framed beauty shots of Italian subjects on the walls. The place is small, with maybe ten tables plus bar seating, but not uncomfortably close, and you can watch the kitchen staff at work and see the flames in the massive wood-fired brick oven. Reservations are definitely encouraged - several groups who came in without were turned away, and every table was full.

The menu of mostly Italian dishes informed by local ingredients was so full of tempting options that it was hard to make up our minds, but for appetizers we settled on the grilled Monterey Bay calamari, stuffed with prawns, leeks, and breadcrumbs and served with a yellow pepper coulis with fried capers ($11), and the wild mushroom cobbler, baked in their wood-fired oven ($8). Both were absolutely delicious, and went well with our wine selection, the Wild Aire '08 temperanillo from the Willamette Valley. The calamari was especially rewarding and a good antidote to the ubiquitous fried calamari rings that you get everywhere else. We also shared a bowl of the Italian onion soup, in a white wine and chicken broth and topped with melty fontina cheese ($6), lighter than the French equivalent and very very good.

For our entrees we chose the "Brick Bird", a game hen butterflied and baked on a hot brick and served whole with a pine-nut rice pilaf and topped with a roasted-pepper caponata ($16), with a side of perfectly-grilled asparagus ($5); and the osso bucco, beef shank and cheek braised in the wood oven with white wine, porcini mushrooms, fennel and parsnips and served with baked cannelli beans ($16). Both were excellent, perfectly cooked and savory with a delicate balance of flavors (and plenty of marrow in the beef shank). The only quibble we had was that the caponata on the Brick Bird was just a little too salty, but that was literally the only thing we would have changed in the entire meal.

For dessert we had a very fine bread pudding with chocolate chunks and berries with blueberry whipped cream ($6), with a glass of Hucsh La Blanc '09 from the Anderson Valley, and house-made coffee ice cream served with cardamom-flavored butter cookies ($6) with a glass of an excellent Willamette Valley Riesling. Both were fantastic, but the ice cream I thought was really special, evoking the cardamom-flavored Turkish-style coffee served in Lebanon and other Arab countries.

Service was consistently top-notch. Our server, Camas, was warm, friendly, informative, and absolutely on top of her job, and the other servers and bussers were equally attentive so that we never lacked for water or bread (which itself was really good, a whole-wheat bread with apricot and cumin and parmesan focaccia, both baked in house - people were asking if they could buy loaves to take home - and served with good Italian olive oil).

The two appetizers, one soup, two entrees, one veggie side, two desserts, and four glasses of wine set us back $115 and change before tip - not cheap exactly, but pretty reasonable considering all we got and absolutely worth every penny. Add to that the fantastic service and cozy neighborhood-bistro atmosphere and you've got a real winner - we will definitely be back soon, maybe for lunch and a couple of their delicious-looking pizzas. Highly, highly recommended - come on, Eureka, and support this wonderful addition to the local culinary scene!

3 Thank Fantod
Corralitos, California
“Big Brick Oven”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I had the opportunity to have dinner at a new place last week. Brick & Fire, a small restaurant with a huge wood fired oven was unusual. The interior, done in burnt colors with Mediterranean prints and pots, has a just right feel. Combine the smell and the tangible heat coming from the wood oven and the small dinning room is quite comfortable.

Our party (4) shared a family style Caesar salad, along with stuffed calamari and mushroom cobbler appetizers. Different, but very good. The flat iron steak I had was great. The others in our group had wood fired Pizza, Pasta and Fish. Each of us enjoyed it thoroughly.

The wine list seemed to center on local vintages (probably not hard to do in this area) and provided at least 10 choices by the glass. My own choice a blended red titled "Train Wreck" was recommended by the staff and was excellent.

The staff was very friendly making for a fine causal dinner with great food.

Dinner for Four with appetizers and wine, was just over 110-. Low for this quality.

Keith