“They Understand Celiac Disease and Food Allergies”

kyoto japanese Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 186 Restaurants in Eureka
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: look on yelp or the phone book, it is the best restaurant in the area, I am surprised it is not listed here
Northern California
“They Understand Celiac Disease and Food Allergies”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I rarely can eat out because I have celiac disease and multiple food allergies. Another local sushi place in Arcata has sickened me multiple times, and I'd pretty much given up on being able to eat out safely. Then I heard that Kyoto is very accommodating to those with food allergies. I've since eaten here twice, and both times it was just amazing to be treated with such understanding. They really get food allergies and celiac disease here, in a way that few other restaurants do.

My sushi was prepared in its own clean station away from everyone else's. They made a point of being very careful to avoid cross-contamination (it was obvious from the friendly server's questions and comments). It's been a rare experience for me to be treated with such respect and understanding by restaurant staff, and to feel that I could let my guard down and just enjoy a meal safely along with everyone else. They even will make tempura with rice flour if you ask, and cook it separately from the regular version.

The sushi is better than what I've had at a couple of other places in Humboldt (allergy issues aside). The service is friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is pleasantly cozy.

I wish more restaurants were as knowledgeable and accommodating toward people like me.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank My_cats_servant

Las Vegas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was craving sushi in a big way and I figured that being so close to the ocean, I'd have a great selection here. Our fish choices were albacore and salmon. The rolls were okay; a little overpriced for the quality. Service was pretty good.

Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Come Here for Eternal Wait and Disappointing Food”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

It's one thing to have to wait on a busy weekend night for delicious food at your favorite restaurant. It's another thing to wait over an hour for a bored, inattentive waitress to deliver tempura rolls gone cold and once-cool fish sushi gone room temperature on an empty Thursday night. I went here with 3 friends, and we ended up wasting a huge part of our night out at this somewhat dingy place. Our waitress never came to check on us after taking our orders, but we could here her happily flirting with the staff behind the counter as we waited and waited for our food. The food itself wasn't even good, even if it had been the right temperature and freshness it tasted like a beginner was behind the counter. The prices were way too high for Humboldt and for the quality of food. I've been to lots of other sushi places in the Humboldt area (Hana's, Tomo's, Sushi Tao) and every single one far outshone this place in service, food quality, and price. I'll never come back here again unless a huge sign appears out front announcing new staff, prices, and food.

• Visited July 2013
Cupertino
“Sushi me please”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Saklmon with lemon some of thwe tude rolls with strong flavors and great fish I visit here everything we roll into E town. I enjoy this place small cure ansd fun best I have found in the area give me rish and flavors

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Another great sushi restaurant for my N. CA trips!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We didn't have time to make it to Arcata one night before our favorite sushi restaurants closed, so someone recommended Kyoto and even made the reservation for us. We had some new taste sensations. We ate at the sushi bar and ate a lot! We were so hungry from our drive up from San Francisco. Try out this restaurant if you are in Eureka. Service is not as fast as other restaurants, but it's not that long of a wait. And it was worth waiting for!

• Visited May 2013