“Needs some more updating”
Review of Eureka Inn

Eureka Inn
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Neat experience and we can now can we stayed at this iconic hotel. Our room was outdated and bathroom original from the day it was built. TV was nice and worked but everything else is circa 1940 or earlier. Had a unique smell and feeling to staying here. Seemed abandoned. Friendly staff and great location just needs more updating. Shower didn't drain well and water was slow and a little brown at first, but had to give it a chance since it's so famous. Felt spooky

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Eureka Inn

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this because we wanted to stay in something more representative of the area historically. The inn is lovely and the lobby and history are warm and inviting. The rooms however, if they are not renovated (which is only a few), are spacious but very shabby .Lighting is poor and furniture is old and scuffed. Carpeting was worn and stained and we were put off by this alot! Bedding is fine and comfortable. The staff is helpful. It is hard to define this hotel and to review some aspects.
The breakfast that is included is meager and very cheap. Coffee was horrible and weak. Presentation was open grocery store packages. They could do much better or should even not include it for some upgrades elsewhere.

Room Tip: I would only take a fully renovated room if I had known what the others were like.
1  Thank BinghamtonBeth
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This historic building and the lobby are very impressive. There are displays in keeping with its age and history.
Our reservation seemed to have been lost and it took the staff quite awhile to find it but eventually it was sorted out. They were very pleasant overall.
Our room was partially renovated. The furniture was a mix of old and new, bed and linens were fine and the bathroom was a perfect combination of vintage and modern. I hate to say this but the carpet was disgusting with crusty looking patches. I wouldn't walk on it in bare feet. I can't understand remodeling a room and not replacing that horrible carpet first thing.
Having said that, there must be hundreds of rooms in the hotel and redoing them all would be a terribly expensive and probably useless task for the amount of traffic they would get now in Eureka. It will take a lot of time and money to get this place to an even standard. I really applaud them for what they are trying to do and would probably stay here again to be supportive. So I would say give them a chance and support their efforts.

3  Thank MP439
Reviewed September 29, 2013

When first checking in I chose the least expensive room- when I checked it out I immediately went back downstairs and asked for one of the renovated rooms....mama mia what a difference! Ask for one of the renovated rooms as they are much better. The others are really rather dirty with moldy tile in the bathroom.
The Front Desk person was very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast in the morning was marginal and I would suggest that they provide a variety of choices instead of only strawberry yogurt, bananas, bagels with only strawberry jelly provided, and pretty weak coffee. Yikes. But the room was nice and the location good with off street parking.

Room Tip: ask for renovated room- don't stay here if they are not available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013

As alluded to by other reviewers, the first thought as you enter this fairly imposing building is that Stephen King may have done some research here. For us that was a positive as we're fans of the quirky. The staff were for the most part very friendly and welcoming with the exception of the bar manager who brusquely informed us that the bar was closed when we went for a post dinner drink, even though we'd been informed that the bar was open until 12:30 when checking in. Dinner was plentiful and the waitress was lovely. Room was charming and, although a little shabby, very clean. The bed was comfortable but breakfast was skimpy. Not a bad place to stay for a one night stop over, providing more interesting accommodation than the ubiquitous chains.

1  Thank isummers1
Reviewed September 26, 2013

There's a difference in "Historic" and run down and shabby. The hotel staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, but this poor old hotel is in dire need of some paint, new carpet and renovations. I'm not sure what rooms any of the reviewers who gave it more than one or two stars stayed in, but ours was in rough shape. There is so much potential here that is not being realized. While the economy has been hard on us all, just new carpet in the lobby would be a huge help...The smell and stains alone turn you off and that's before you even get to your room. We've stayed in a lot of historic hotels...and love them all. This one, sadly, we wouldn't stay in again nor would we recommend it.

Room Tip: They say there are renovated rooms but that's not what we had....perhaps ask to see rooms before...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My two-year-old daughter and I stayed at Eureka Inn for one night, in one of the renovated rooms. It was absolutely beautiful! Our room was very clean and updated while keeping it's vintage charm. The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous, warm and welcoming. My only issue was that I called to modify my reservation and the young woman I spoke with failed to note the change, so I received a call from the hotel, asking why we were a no-show. It was quickly resolved and check-in was a breeze. The woman who checked us out on 09/19/13 was not friendly at all; she appeared to be greatly bothered by having to do her job. Otherwise, I loved the hotel and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a "deluxe" (i.e. renovated) room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family