“Get rid of the smell!”
Review of Eureka Inn

Eureka Inn
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Whatever chemicals that you are using to sanitize the place are way too strong. You smell them immediately upon entering the hotel and throughout it. I know that the Inn is old, but must it smell? The elevator is a frightening experience. Will it make it, I thought each time we used it? There were a few people in the hotel, but we were placed next to a noisy person. Why, with all those rooms? We love the Inn's charm. Why haven't you tuned the baby grand? The place needs lots of tender, loving care, and money to get it up to "snuff."

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Irma W
There are newer reviews for Eureka Inn

Reviewed February 18, 2013

So there I was, planning a quick trip to Eureka for a night and looking for a place to stay. Started my search on Tripadvisor and came across the Eureka Inn. I did a little more research on the place and found out it had reopened after sitting dormant for a few years. My curiosity got the best of me so I tried to call them. I ended up in a continuous loop going from "all staff is busy now" to "hold for the operator". I was nervous about booking this one. Nervous because I wanted to make sure they were still open, nervous because there were no recent reviews, and nervous because the place looked just a little on the creepy side.

I normally don't head out of town before knowing exactly where I will be hunkering down for the night, but something about this place had us hooked and wanting to know more. Why were there no recent reviews ? Why was no one picking up the phone ? Was the place still open ? Was anyone, ( or anything) still in there ? We aimed to find out. It was time to do some investigative travelling.

We headed north and after grabbing some dinner in Eureka, it was time to head over and see what this place was all about. Pulling up in front at a little after 9pm on a Sunday night, we saw no signs of life.My Wife's first reaction was "Wow !, I wanna stay there". I was a little apprehensive. We pulled around back and saw that most of the small parking lot was full. There was one spot left. We were in luck, weren't sure if it was bad or good luck just yet but as we parked the truck, a lit up "open" sign caught our eye. We walked to the back entrance and pushed the huge door open and went inside.

The place was amazing and old, shabby yet elegant, creepy but cozy, and we were fully under its spell. We were greeted by a nice young lady at the front desk who informed us that we could choose either a refurbished or non-refurbished room. We asked if we could see examples of each and she politely led us through the hotel and showed us one of each of the rooms. The original room was no doubt on the tired side, the updated room for about $20 more had new carpet, furniture, shower, toilet, bed, tv , wall paper and was done appropriately to match the hotels age. We went with the upgraded room for $109 plus tax

I will admit, this place is not for everyone. If you are the type that has to have EVERYTHING perfect, likes generic chain hotels and their predictability, never strays outside your comfort zone at all whatsoever, then please do the rest of us a favor and book your room across town as I would not want to have to get stuck behind you at the front desk while you complain about some minor detail instead of enjoying this place for what it is, what it was, and hopefully, what it can be again if the new owner stays the course.

Now that the perfectionistas are out of the way, i will break this place down for you.
We LOVED it. Were there some shortcomings ? Sure.
We did not see any kleenex, no big deal, we used toilet paper. Not sure if it was missed or never there, but we didn't care.
There was no hair dryer. So bring your own.
The bed had no top sheet. We didn't care. We could have used another blanket but we cuddled instead.
There was a fridge, tv with lots of channels,ironing board and iron, nice new bathroom, comfy bed, funky little fake fireplace that is also a heater and tons of character and charm and nostalgia that is sorely missing from most places I stay.

Was it dingy in places ? Yes. But mainly in the hallways and corridors. We felt it added to the charm.The room itself was nice and the main lobby is simply stunning and cool to look at.

We did not try the internet and we skipped the continental breakfast and went to a local eatery for breakfast instead.

We really feel sorry for people that can't and don't appreciate a place like this for what it is.
Do yourself a favor and think outside the boring box for once and enjoy a piece of history. Is it haunted ? Who knows. But the memory of this place will haunt us ( in a good way) until we return. We can't wait to go back. My wife and I loved it, warts and all. You will too.

Room Tip: Get an updated room. We had room 137 and thought it was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Unexpected-Journey
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I went to Eureka for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary (Nov). We booked a local show and this inn. We had a very nice and enjoyable stay. The room was very nice. The hot breakfast was a treat. Staff was friendly and helpful. Wireless Internet was reliable. The location is great. For the money, it was a great stay. Next time we'll try a jacuzzi room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dane T
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Considering that Eureka was foggy and rainy most summer, this Inn was quite a find. It is like a history lesson or stepping back in time. It does have a faint odor of old wood, but it is being renovated and it is a beautiful property, with an outdoor pool that nobody was using, due to the cold and wet weather. The room was spacious and clean, and the service was very friendly. They did not have the restaurant or the cafe on site functioning when we were there, but I am sure when they do, it is going to be quite an attraction for Eureka,as there are not too many attractions except a few old but beautiful houses, or the port, that is also foggy and rainy.
You should try Chapala, a Mexican restaurant with great food and a 10% discount if you sit by the window..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This place was clean and has character. The bathroom was clean. The room was as clean as something that may not have been renovated since the 70's can be. It has not been recently updated, so in this case, "character" implies some slight shabbiness.

It was in a great central location. The staff was helpful. It's no frills, but definitely recommended. I would stay here again. The room we had was large and the bathroom was also large (two sinks).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Beautiful outside OMG inside. we stayed there just one night thank goodness , ants in the sink and on the towels the smoke alarm had a low battery so kept beeping they moved us 2 rooms down. They said bed where new ?? I am sure they where but hard as nails one signle one twin ?
Odd. Dirty and needed a good dust it was late at night so we slept and just left the next day they do do a free breakfast. Once this place is done up it will be great but not public ready

Room Tip: Find some where eslse untill its finished
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Viv31
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When we walked in, I was hit by the smell of perfume masking a musty odor...it was everywhere we went including our room. Lobby was nice but the night desk clerk was strange - she seemed obsessed with the hotel's profit margin & insisted on charging us more than the price shown on hotels.com...but we were stuck & had to agree. We had a choice between a non-renovated room at $95.18 for a double + tiny single. Or for $40+ extra, we could have a renovated one. Went for the non-reno sight unseen & here's what we encountered:

Cons:
-Dirty, crusty carpet
-Hard, uncomfortable mattresses
-Wi-fi only worked sporadically
-Very, very tired decor
-Depressing breakfast (gas station pastries + literally moldy bread)

Pros:
-Breakfast coffee was surprisingly good
-Powerful shower

This was the worst hotel on our 10 day road trip. My advice: just walk away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends