“Not Enough Food!”
Review of Avalon Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Avalon Restaurant & Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casually fine with warm service, great food, cocktails, fireplace bar, Wine Spectator Awards. It’s all about the guest!
Nothern CA
“Not Enough Food!”
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I complained about the small portions of food we were served to the owner of Avalon. She replied that; "Myself and chef spent a combined 11 years training under the chef considered "the father of California cuisine."
California Cuisine is becoming associated with not only fresh cooking, but with very tiny portions for extremely high prices.
It appears that the appeal of restaurants serving California Cuisine is beginning to wane.....People don't want to empty their wallets without filling their stomachs.
My husband and I are both small people, and left Avalon hungry. The owner of Avalon claimed that she hasn't ever had a complaint about dining quantities before me...but I see that other reviewers on the internet DO feel the same as I do, about the small serving portions at Avalon

6 Thank rubberbum
Julia-Pepin, Owner at Avalon Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Sad to say, and bewildering, but our restaurants have been falsely "reviewed" by a "reviewer" on your site. She originally started with our first location. We opened a new cafe a month ago, and she visited the very first night, the second guest in our door. She ordered one "small plate" for herself and later posted a "review" that even in our new place she always leaves hungry. Since we had her photo from her facebook, we were able to trace her order, find out just what she ate and responded to her.

Just last evening we had out of town guests in our new restaurant, that know us from our original location. They commented that they read the negative review and thought it was very unlike anything they could imagine happening in our restaurants.

As an owner I am very dismayed to see that these types of "reviews by real people" are so proliferating, because they are really just glorified blogging, with direct results in the business end of our industry. It is a shame.

We are always very amenable to making any situation right with a guest, and because of our philosophy and our staff training, we rarely have complaints and problems. We are seasoned restaurateurs, with excellent training and background, place our guests first always, as well as maintain a generous reputation in our community.

San Francisco
“Good food, great service”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

What I liked most about this restaurant was how comfortable it was. Plenty of room to relax and enjoy an evening out to diner. The food was really good, I had a chicken pot pie that was delicious, and the chocolate souffle was excellent. The the wine list was very good, several nice local wines, and a nice -but not pretentious- selection of others. Todd, our waiter was a friend by the time we left. He was right on with his suggestions, too.

3 Thank SayGoWeGo
Portland, OR
“Excellent food, very nice staff”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We arrived about 9;30 pm and the Avalon was the only nice restaurant with it's doors open. The kitchen was technically closed, but the hostess went out of her way to find something on the menu that they could prepare. We had the halibut entree and a mushroom puff pastry appetizer that were both fabulous. We felt very lucky to find this place and highly reccommed it.

3 Thank active4fun2
San Francisco, California
“best food we've had in humboldt”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I went here for my birthday with my boyfriend and loved it! the service and atmosphere was amazing. The food was fantastic! I ordered the fish and usually don't like fish and I LOVED it! Very nice warm place with a fireplace. Very romantic.

3 Thank shadow124
Eureka, CA
“Not worth the money.”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Humboldt County has several elegant, gourmet restaurants.

This is not one of them.

Let's start first, with the atmosphere. The sport laminated table tops without even bothering to use tableclothes. The seating is white frame with fake woodgrain seat and backs. The wait staff wore black jeans and converse 'chucks' - a type of sneaker. The other patrons were t-shirt and jeans. Any style or class this restaurant may have had, has long since faded. (This was for a 7:30 dinner reservation on a Saturday night, by the way.)

Now, for the food. My duck breast was about a quarter sized portion of overcooked, tough 'duck' on flavorless potatoes. The cheese service was overdone, cliche and lacked all subtlety.

For 40-50 a person, I'd expect far better. if you're looking for fine dining in the area, choose Moonstone Grill, Sunset Restaurant or drive down the Benbow Inn (about an hour.)

4 Thank HumboldtAmbition