“very cool” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kelso Dunes

Kelso Dunes
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Essex
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the areas in California where one can view the unique aspects of sand dunes.
waterford,mi
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“very cool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2008

Only made it up 2/3 of the way to the highest dune, but wow. I just didn't have time. You'll need 3 hours for the climb, and water.

2 Thank kcsims99

Queens, New York
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Spent a half an hour there and it was awe-inspiring”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

We got there at 9:30 AM in August and it was still brutally hot. The walk from the parking lot, while brief in steps, felt quite long and considering any climbing was daunting as we got to within 1/4 mile of the dunes with three kids and two out of shape city-bred parents. Especially after we had passed the sign about sidewinders making their home in the sands!

Still, passing faded brown terrain to arrive at golden hills straight out of an Arabian Nights kids' book was especially gasp-producing when we heard thunder. Well, my husband thought it was thunder, and I thought it was several huge truck rigs revving up which I knew to be impossible given we had driven over 20 miles of nowhere and nobody from I40 to get here. So that's when I realized it was the dunes talking. We were lucky enough for the sands to shift in some slight breeze and the booming to sound without our feet causing the requisite cascade. It was just an hour and half's detour from our trip west to LA and quite worth it.

4 Thank RoadTrip19Mom
A TripAdvisor Member
“Giant Sand Dunes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2003

The Kelso Sand Dunes are worth more than a quick visit. To get out and hike the dunes I would plan on two hours minimum. You could easily spend a half day or more here, exploring, picnicing (bring your own as there are no facilities). Great photo opps of friends and family standing and sliding on dunes!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member