“Great pizza!!!”

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Ranked #12 of 367 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Great pizza in Escondido, CA. You get lots of food for the price. If pizza is what you want, this is the place to go.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

After a day at the Safari Park, we looked up family friendly restaurants to eat nearby. I had heard about this restaurant (we were going to try the one in downtown San Diego) and was pleased that there was one in Escondido. When we arrived for dinner, we were quickly seated. Our server was friendly and quickly brought us our drinks and took our order. My husband and I shared a meatball pizza and my young son ordered the ravioli. It took awhile for our food to arrive but the waitress did let us know there would be a delay (busy night?). We didn't mind the wait and figured we could eat some bread in the meantime. Several minutes passed and we weren't offered any bread (isn't it complimentary?). We actually had to ask another waitress to bring us some. Our waitress came out moments later and brought us a bread basket. Shortly thereafter, our food arrived. As other reviewers noted, the restaurant uses a lot of cheese. Sauce and toppings on bottom and cheese on top. I've had it that way at other restaurants. The funny thing is, the toppings/cheese do tend to slip off the crust! I wasn't bothered by it (but my husband sort of was). I like a lot of cheese and the pizza was tasty. My husband said he would've preferred less cheese on his pizza next time. The beef ravioli was good- nice meat sauce. Despite, the delay in bringing us our bread basket, our overall experience was good. Our waitress was very pleasant too. I would definitely come back if we're ever in the area again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Filippi's Pizza is a family favorite of ours. This restaurant is within in walking distance (1 block) of the California Center for the Arts and is a great stop before or after a performance there. The pizza is so good it defies description and needs to be experienced. Their pepperoni and cheese pizza is just incredible. We usually get an antipasto salad to accompany our pizza and have never been disappointed. Our kids love the cheese ravioli and my wife is partial to the lasagna. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Randy G
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This restaurant is very dark and charming, which was perfect for Valentine's Day. Although they were extremely busy, we didn't wait long for our food and everything was hot, fresh, and delicious. We ordered a half order of lasagna for the two of us and it was more than enough. The bread was soft and the pizza had so much cheese, I was hating myself later, but loving it at the moment. I noticed a lot of the patrons were locals and the staff seemed to really know everyone who came in. If you are in town, I would suggest stopping here for a romantic Italian dinner.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went late one evening--about 9:30 pm--and had a wonderful time. The food is authentic Italian with mammoth proportions. Our group had spaghetti, pizza, and lasagna. All was delicious and we had plenty to take hone for next-day leftovers. The bread was wonderful. We left right at closing time--10:30--but did not feel rushed in the least.