“Family friendly, comfortable resort”

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Michigan
“Family friendly, comfortable resort”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed a week. Our 10 year old grandson was with us over MLK weekend. The weather was beautiful. We had a lovely week. My husband has a MAC and couldn't get connected to the WIFI. The signal was weak, but my PC connected OK. The rooms are spacious but in need of upgrading. The maintenance crew was prompt and courteous when we called to get a bathroom light replaced the evening we arrived. The resort is not far from San Diego for activities outside the resort. Groceries and shopping are some distance away though and the map provided by the hotel is NOT to scale. The resort has a theater, but the prices are not cheap. There are two golf courses, but we didn't play golf here. If there is a fitness center i couldn't find it. But there are hills to walk, several clubhouses with games, pool, computers, crafts. Nice swimming pools and water slides, hot tubs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaureenMI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
South Holland, IL
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We made full use of the BBQ facilities and didn't have to worry about cleaning up afterwards; it was great. The rooms were very nice and comfortable and the patio was nice for hanging out. I loved seeing the mountains all around. The resort was a bit of a drive from San Diego but not too bad. We grew very fond of Von's and just had a wonderful time in San Diego and Escondido. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Teeta926
Clovis, California
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The employees at this hotel will do ANYTHING to SCAM you. I have a complaint pending with the Better Business Bureau. It's really empty out there; anywhere you need to go will be a lengthy drive. They appear to be kid-friendly, but their staff is completely rude & impatient with children. Additionally, I saw COCKROACHES in the rooms & in their lounges. I was utterly disgusted. It appeared very clean, but COCKROACHES should NEVER be at a "resort." This is more like a motel with nice landscaping, not a resort. Also, their golfing is extremely over-priced.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank 333Traveler333
San Diego
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here on a preview package in a one bedroom villa suite at Villas on the Green, and overall had a really good stay.

Likes:
Love the beautiful landscaping, flowers, waterfalls, grass, fire pits, golf course.
Room was very clean, spacious, updated, had a nice bathroom and kitchen, and big deck.
Pools were very nice and something for everyone – our kids loved the water slide, but there was also water playground, kids’ pools, adult pools, Jacuzzi
-Activities – lots of scheduled activities for the kids – we did poolside candy Bingo, the hoola hoop contest, the $2 poolside snow cones
-The food stand at the new pool – but it needs to open on time; we waited half an hour for them to get set up, and the kids were getting very impatient.
-Summer Nights – July 1-4 – live music, face painting, bouncies, pony rides, farmers market, beer garden, etc.
-Canyon Grille – pretty good food, reasonable prices, and there’s a market on site now, which is convenient.
- Belle Marie winery – across the freeway from Welk – we stopped by on the way in and really enjoyed it. $7 for 5 tastes and they were very good, especially the Super Tuscan and the Montage. They get their grapes from the Guadalupe Valley down in Baja.

Dislikes:
-Check-in: the staff was friendly, but not helpful – I understood that we were going to be in an 851 square foot 1-bdrm villas for the rate we paid, but instead, they put us in one of the 584-square foot 1-bdrm villa suites, and they would not budge.
-The timeshare tour incentives – read the fine print, if you can find it; the trip to Hawaii is 3 days, midweek, and flying from LAX, not San Diego; the Napa trip doesn’t include air; the Catalina and San Francisco trips are not valid on weekends, and for limited dates. And on top of that, they’re not free, you have to pay $80 or so in taxes.

-The scheduled events often aren’t at the time or location specified, which is frustrating (we had this same problem when we came 5 years ago). For example, when my daughter won the hoola hoop contest, the grand prize was a $2 snow cone, which she was very excited about. We were supposed to redeem it at a certain pool at 2 pm. We intended to go home earlier, but we stayed just to get the snow cone. We showed up at the designated place and time, but there were no snow cones. We were told that they were now at a different pool at 4 pm. At that point, we just went home.

Overall, it’s a fun family resort with plenty of activities

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank SDTraveler01
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 9, 2011

After reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor before my visit to Welk Resorts, I was a little concerned about this timeshare property. We had booked this resort through expedia.com and found a great flight+hotel package that I could not pass up. I was excited about our first big family trip with a 3 year old and a newborn and didn't want any surprises.

We arrived around 1pm, where we went through a pre- checkin and were given access to the facilities including pool etc. Check-in was supposed to be 4pm, but they called me as soon as our room was ready (3pm). There was a quick pitch by the associate to attend a tour of the facility but I quickly declined and never heard a thing about timeshares or presentations again.

The room we were allocated was a large one bedroom with full kitchen facilities. The pull out couch was perfect for our three year old and I contacted Go Baby Go - San Diego who provided us with everything from a bassinet to a swing for our newborn. I highly recommend this service as it made our trip so much easier.

The best part of this resort is the activities throughout the day for children. Each day has an activities schedule and the children can participate in everything from arts and crafts, making ice cream sundaes, swimming contests and events for the entire family like bbq's etc. Since I wanted the family to spend some quality time resting, we took advantage of the activities and my three year old son really enjoyed his time interacting with other children and partipating in the activities.

The parking is free at the resort and so it the wifi internet access, which allowed us to stay in touch with family and friends without picking up the phone. I took advantage of a special at the Spa for a 30 minute chair massage and wish I would have had more time for a full hour massage.

There are many pools throughout the property and we were lucky enough to have a pool area a minute walk away from our room. There are waterslides on two of the swimming areas and splash zones on a few as well. I purchased some water wings for my little guy at the resort and he absolutely loved the warm pools and hot tubs.

We also ate at the Canyon Grille a few times throughout our trip and including New Years Eve and I was quite impressed with both the service and food quality. There is also a Pizza Hut Express on sitewhich delivered to our room one evening.

There is a Von's grocery store about 10 minutes away and a great Mexican restaurant (10 minutes away) called Cocina Del Charro which we happned to stumble upon.

We took a family trip to Legoland which was essentially designed for young children 3-10. Since the amusement park is located in Carlsbad, the drive from Welk Resort was about 20-25 minutes. It was an easy drive but use your own maps or GPS to navigate the area rather than the maps given to you by the resort.

Overall I left thr Resort thinking we had made a great decision in choosing Welk and I would gladly go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PARSCH
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I made my reservations in April for an exchange resort (Welk Resorts in san Diego). I hold a two bedroom unit for a week through Marriot. Interval talked me into getting into this downgraded one bedroom in Welk resorts and told me to check with the hotel periodically to see if the two bedroom units will be released. I was told by WElk that the requests can be made only through Interval. Interval kept telling me that there were no units at all for the week and I will have to forgo the studio portion of my units. I attended a preview of WElk and found out that Interval does this one bedroom exchange for two bedroom units in Marriot claiming that Welk is a premier resort. Much to my chagrin I was dumped into a small one bedroom unit the size of a studio for the premier two bedroom that I used to enjoy at Marriot. To add fuel to the fire I also found out that Interval has their HQ in Welk's premises and all along they played that they know nothing about the resort's availabilities and handle only the inventory. As an advise please do not check into Welk thinking this is better to be downgraded to a premier resort - the accommodation SUCKS! The rooms are very awkwardly set up and my kids had to sleep in a pull out couch that had a terrible mattress. The showers are substandard and I ended up taking my family to LA for two nights. This has been a horrible experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank drsiyer
vfields, Manager at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding. Our
owners deposit their weeks with Interval International based on the size villa
they own. The resort has no control over the size villa or the exchange
process. The transaction is confirmed through Interval International.

The information regarding the floor plans and amenities of all our villas are on
the Interval International confirmation. We have worked diligently with
Interval to ensure our guests have a full explanation and expectation of the
villa they have reserved. When planning your vacation if you need a 2BR villa,
please advise Interval International to ensure a pleasant vacation.
Ruidoso NM
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I was somewhat concerned when I read some of the negative reviews assosciated with this resort but we were able to book the time we wanted and obtain the lodging we desired for myself, spouse and six golfing friends. After staying there, I am convinced that either the reviewers who were so critical had written about a different place and/or were trying to keep folks away for their own motives. Our stay was absolutely first class, Two couples each stayed in a two bedroom condo which was absolutely incredible, spacious and clean, we could not have asked for better, especially since we were trading a time share. The staff was hlepful and friendly, the grounds are immaculate and attractive. We did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on it. I was prepared based on other reviewers to have a difficult time with the time share sales personnel but nothing could be farther from the truth. One attempt was made to interest us in a "tour and presentation" on check-in, we refused and heard no more about it. All eight of us highly recommend a stay, the resort is in a good location and again, the two bedroom condos are very spacious, two good sized bedrooms on each end, two full baths, large kitchen, adequate living room and a very nice patio. Treat yourself if you want to stay in the San Diego area, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank roxieone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#13 of 16 in Escondido
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!