“Welk Resorts was perfect for my family with young kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resort San Diego

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Vancouver, BC
“Welk Resorts was perfect for my family with young kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

After reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor before my visit to Welk Resorts, I was a little concerned about this timeshare property. We had booked this resort through expedia.com and found a great flight+hotel package that I could not pass up. I was excited about our first big family trip with a 3 year old and a newborn and didn't want any surprises.

We arrived around 1pm, where we went through a pre- checkin and were given access to the facilities including pool etc. Check-in was supposed to be 4pm, but they called me as soon as our room was ready (3pm). There was a quick pitch by the associate to attend a tour of the facility but I quickly declined and never heard a thing about timeshares or presentations again.

The room we were allocated was a large one bedroom with full kitchen facilities. The pull out couch was perfect for our three year old and I contacted Go Baby Go - San Diego who provided us with everything from a bassinet to a swing for our newborn. I highly recommend this service as it made our trip so much easier.

The best part of this resort is the activities throughout the day for children. Each day has an activities schedule and the children can participate in everything from arts and crafts, making ice cream sundaes, swimming contests and events for the entire family like bbq's etc. Since I wanted the family to spend some quality time resting, we took advantage of the activities and my three year old son really enjoyed his time interacting with other children and partipating in the activities.

The parking is free at the resort and so it the wifi internet access, which allowed us to stay in touch with family and friends without picking up the phone. I took advantage of a special at the Spa for a 30 minute chair massage and wish I would have had more time for a full hour massage.

There are many pools throughout the property and we were lucky enough to have a pool area a minute walk away from our room. There are waterslides on two of the swimming areas and splash zones on a few as well. I purchased some water wings for my little guy at the resort and he absolutely loved the warm pools and hot tubs.

We also ate at the Canyon Grille a few times throughout our trip and including New Years Eve and I was quite impressed with both the service and food quality. There is also a Pizza Hut Express on sitewhich delivered to our room one evening.

There is a Von's grocery store about 10 minutes away and a great Mexican restaurant (10 minutes away) called Cocina Del Charro which we happned to stumble upon.

We took a family trip to Legoland which was essentially designed for young children 3-10. Since the amusement park is located in Carlsbad, the drive from Welk Resort was about 20-25 minutes. It was an easy drive but use your own maps or GPS to navigate the area rather than the maps given to you by the resort.

Overall I left thr Resort thinking we had made a great decision in choosing Welk and I would gladly go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PARSCH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I made my reservations in April for an exchange resort (Welk Resorts in san Diego). I hold a two bedroom unit for a week through Marriot. Interval talked me into getting into this downgraded one bedroom in Welk resorts and told me to check with the hotel periodically to see if the two bedroom units will be released. I was told by WElk that the requests can be made only through Interval. Interval kept telling me that there were no units at all for the week and I will have to forgo the studio portion of my units. I attended a preview of WElk and found out that Interval does this one bedroom exchange for two bedroom units in Marriot claiming that Welk is a premier resort. Much to my chagrin I was dumped into a small one bedroom unit the size of a studio for the premier two bedroom that I used to enjoy at Marriot. To add fuel to the fire I also found out that Interval has their HQ in Welk's premises and all along they played that they know nothing about the resort's availabilities and handle only the inventory. As an advise please do not check into Welk thinking this is better to be downgraded to a premier resort - the accommodation SUCKS! The rooms are very awkwardly set up and my kids had to sleep in a pull out couch that had a terrible mattress. The showers are substandard and I ended up taking my family to LA for two nights. This has been a horrible experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank drsiyer
vfields, Manager at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding. Our
owners deposit their weeks with Interval International based on the size villa
they own. The resort has no control over the size villa or the exchange
process. The transaction is confirmed through Interval International.

The information regarding the floor plans and amenities of all our villas are on
the Interval International confirmation. We have worked diligently with
Interval to ensure our guests have a full explanation and expectation of the
villa they have reserved. When planning your vacation if you need a 2BR villa,
please advise Interval International to ensure a pleasant vacation.
Ruidoso NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I was somewhat concerned when I read some of the negative reviews assosciated with this resort but we were able to book the time we wanted and obtain the lodging we desired for myself, spouse and six golfing friends. After staying there, I am convinced that either the reviewers who were so critical had written about a different place and/or were trying to keep folks away for their own motives. Our stay was absolutely first class, Two couples each stayed in a two bedroom condo which was absolutely incredible, spacious and clean, we could not have asked for better, especially since we were trading a time share. The staff was hlepful and friendly, the grounds are immaculate and attractive. We did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on it. I was prepared based on other reviewers to have a difficult time with the time share sales personnel but nothing could be farther from the truth. One attempt was made to interest us in a "tour and presentation" on check-in, we refused and heard no more about it. All eight of us highly recommend a stay, the resort is in a good location and again, the two bedroom condos are very spacious, two good sized bedrooms on each end, two full baths, large kitchen, adequate living room and a very nice patio. Treat yourself if you want to stay in the San Diego area, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank roxieone
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Just returned from California. 11/19/2010 thru 11/27/2010.
Stayed at the Lawrence Welk Resort in Escondido (San Diego)
The resort was very well kept. Public areas were clean and very attractive. Pools and recreation areas were very nice. I stayed in a 1 bedroom unit in the Greenbrier section. The unit was clean and well stocked with everything we needed for a very comfortable week. Very spacious and had a great balcony, with patio set. House keeping came in and took out garbage, and replaced towels once during the week. This was a RCI exchange and we were very pleased with it. Would love to vist again.

4 Thank Beachbabyny01
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

While the resort is equal distance from excellent wine tasting, San Diego attractions, and the Pacific ocean, this place is made to just relax. The weather is great, golf courses are not crowded, lots of pools available, and always engaging activities at the resort. We prefer the older two bedroom Lawrence Welk Resort Villas but all are nice, not real fancy but spacious and very comfortable. The kitchen is great for home cooking, the Canyon Grill food is very acceptable, and there are a lot of restaurants within an easy drive (as well as full grocery stores. The Monday farmers market is great but the resort convenience store is limited and pricy. Even out kids did not like the little Pizza Hut on site. For excitement, go to New York (muggings can be exciting). Go to Welk San Diego to relax and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank polarbearx
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

I was lured into a timeshare talk at Miramar Air show which I had never been to but have notoriously heard about for years. They were offering free air fare and two nights hotel in Hawaii so my wife and i signed up to see what this was all about.
Our tour guide was Scott who was a very genuine nice guy and i respected his opinion and his ability to "sell" the idea of a timeshare without making me feel pressured. I knew from the beginning the chance of my actually signing up for this was about 1%, but i did give Scott my full attention and I will have to say that after hearing all the perks and extras thrown in at the end it was tougher to walk away then i expected. In the end the big factor that kept me from signing was the fact that you had to make a decision during your visit or the offer was void. I certainly am not an impulse buyer, especially when you are talking about a purchase over 10k and i just couldn't get past the fact if this was SUCH A GOOD DEAL as we were told, then why was a being pushed out of my comfort level and told i couldn't go sleep on it? The "closer" or the manager of the sales guys came over and really laid the heat on and that was the breaking point - although he was also courteous his demeanor was that of a pure salesman interested in one thing - closing the deal. When he realized we really were going to say no, he seemed to suddenly lose interest in us and got up from the table and just walked away. Scott was very nice and walked us out - i would definetly ask for him if you ever do this tour!
Regarding the Welk resort in Escondito...it looked nice, but i wasn't blown away by any means. Its in the middle of some canyons and has a golf course and some pools, but if you are interested in seeing San Diego or the ocean, its not that convenient
My last bit of advice - Be ready for a 3-4 hour talk - they tell you 90 minutes when you sign up, but that is definetly a stretch!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank jamesdunton
Salt Lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed here as part of a Timeshare Trade through RCI. There are some great things about this resort and there are some bad things.
Good: There are TONS of pools and activities.
Bad: The pools were really cold and everything is pretty far away. The grocery stores were 15 minutes away and the market onsite was really expensive.
If you do not plan on going siteseeing or leaving the resort this is a great place to stay. I would go in late summer because I would imagine the pools are warmer.
For us, it was too far away from everything. I cannot imagine returning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sarahlovesvegas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
BEST WESTERN Escondido Hotel
3.5 of 5 stars 82 reviews
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Harrah's Resort Southern California
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!