Welk Resort San Diego
$109
Best Western Escondido Hotel(Escondido)(Great Value!)
$132
$72
Golden Door(Escondido)
Travelocity
1,697 results
All reviewstime sharesan diegorec centercanyon grillbedroom unitfull kitchentimeshare tourfarmers marketharmony hillwhelkstimeshare presentationmountain villaair hockeyboulder springsparking passtimeshare exchangewasher dryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2008

We've stayed here 3 times over the last 15 years. Some of the recent reviews concerned me a bit but just like every other time, the stay was great! First of all there were no timeshare pressures. We were asked once, declined and that was it.

The units are large, clean and stocked with pretty much eveything you need for self sufficientcy (saving $). The pool w/mini water park and huge water slide is a kids nirvana. The clubhouses many activties and games will keep children and adults as busy as they want to be.
The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the grounds were beautiful.
The golf courses, which I didn't play this time, are inexpensive and fun. Most of the people I watched play were just having fun, if you know what I mean!
One consideration though is the distance to San Diego proper. It'll take you a half hour or more to visit the "popular"destinations. For some though thats a good thing as this resort sits privately and quietly by itself. You'll enjoy, with kids or without.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Kelgee
Reviewed November 3, 2008

We own a timeshare in Cabo; this was an exchange for us (via Interval International). I grew up in the San Diego area and we decided a week in California visiting friends was just the ticket. This resort came up as available. I knew of it, especially since I used to visit there (for lunch) with my grandparents; never thought I'd stay there!
We have a one bedroom in Cabo (Villa del Arco) but were able to exchange at the resort villas (not Villages on the Green) for a two bedroom. I'd read a lot of reviews on here before we left; I was a bit worried since not all of them were great. But, we were very happy with the resort and our room/villa.
Check in was easy; the employee who helped us, Tommy, gave us a few options for villas. We selected one up on Broadway Hill, Carnival #252. In addition to it being huge, we lucked out because it was also an end unit.
As others have reported, the lay out of the villas are nice. You walk in the door and there is a good enough sized kitchen, dining room and living room area. This opens out onto a private balcony. On one side of the villa is a guest bedroom suite (private bath) with two full size beds. This opens out to the balcony as well. On the other side is the master suite; about the only difference is the bed is queen size. This also opens out to the balcony. Each of these suits have their own doors/hallways; very private. We had guests stay with us one night and we never heard them!
We found the villa to be relatively modern (perhaps a recent renovation?) and very clean. Decently stocked with plates, glasses, pots, pans, etc. (although the maids put things in funny places!)
The resort did not appear to be very busy; as such, it was quiet. Also, the average age (at least from what we saw when checking in) of other guests appeared to be about 80. We felt young! There was a family in the villa next to us with two children; we never heard them other than when they were coming or going or they were out on their balcony the same time we were out on ours.
We had a nice view of the resort and our villa was close to a pool, lap pool and two spas (which we never used but from the looks of it, this particular pool area was never very crowded).
Also nearby were BBQ grills (which we did use) and newspaper stands (coin operated).
Like a lot of other reviewers, we rented a car and did not spend a lot of time on site; we mostly were here and there visiting friends. We did avail ourselves (several times) of a nearby Vons (grocery store) and Trader Joe's. If you go to Vons, definitely ask another patron to borrow their Club Card (if you don't have one); this saved us $35. Trader Joe's is great for produce, cheap wine and beer, and fantastic snacks.
While in the area, we visited the Wild Animal Park (highly recommended, especially if you have kids), Temecula (two times; love many of the wineries there) and several local restaurants (Stone Brewing Company is one I'd definitely recommend).
While at the resort, we spent a lot of time out on the balcony talking, sipping cocktails and smoking cigars (smoking is only allowed on the balconies, not in the rooms; a very good thing!)
We did utilze the in-room DVD player to watch a few NetFlix movies. It seemed they had decent T.V. channel options (we don't watch much T.V.)
We played golf one morning on site on the Fountains course. It was very reasonable; $100 for two people which included 18 holes, a golf cart and club rental. The course itself was nice enough; I'm not a fantastic golfer (yet) but my husband appeared relatively challenged. It certainly was a lovely day for golf!
About the only "bad" thing I have to say is that the bed pillows were not to my liking. But, hey; that usually happens every place I go!
As for reports of having to go on a tour/presentation, we just told them we were not interested and that was the end of that.
Next time we go (and we will return), we'll try to play more golf, perhaps hit a show (we did tour the "museum"; a bit lame) and perhaps utilize the pools!
I'd highly recommend this place; don't be thrown off by the negative reviews!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Empress5150
Reviewed October 16, 2008

We traded our Marriott timeshare for this place thru Interval Int'l. We couldn't have been happier with the place! The room was spacious (living area, full kitchen, separate bedroom and spacious bathroom) very clean and comfortable. They have outdoor grills available as well and provide all grill accessories needed. They offered plenty of activites for the kids as well as adults such as daily free golf clinics. Their golf course was nice and challenging. The recreation area/pool (called Boulder there are 2 others but ask for room near Boulder with the water slide) was great fun for all of us. The outdoor fire pit lit nightly was also lovely. Set up in the Mountains it was beautiful. Cool in the evenings a gorgeously warm every day. San Diego is 35 mins away, La Jolla & beaches 20 mins. The Wild African Safari park 20 mins. wineries all around. Anything we needed they brought at once. They also have their own theatre which has a broadway type show one night and a magic/comedy show another night. The onsite restaurant served great food but they also have a small store if you want to cook in your room which we did quite often. The "big" store is 15 mins away. They must be doing well as they are building on many more buildings. They do pressure you upon check in to sign up for the tour, which we did, then canceled. To tell the truth, my husband I said it wouldn't be a bad place to own as it is up and coming with so many activities for adults and kids.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank LisaPotts
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Perhaps the least accommodating, most unfriendly environment I've experienced with regard to a hotel/resort stay. They are adamant that check-in cannot happen until 4:00 PM (literally we tried checking in at 3:41) and they persist and persist that you take their 90 minute resort tour - aka sales pitch for a timeshare. We were here with a large group of people, staying in multiple villas, and they did the least they could to accommodate us. Food service was atrocious. The only fun part were the outside games.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We used our points from RCI to book this week-long vacation. Check in was Friday, 9/5/08. We were pretty disappointed that the "Small One Bedroom" as it's titled, didn't have a washer and dryer in the unit. The room was spacious and made for 4 people. We have to little boys, 3 and 1. They loved the pool at Bolder Springs. We stayed at Villas on the Green, which is the newer side. We liked it. Next time, we'd get either a 2 bedroom to invite family or a 1 Bedroom Villa for just the 4 of us. A Washer and dryer would have been very nice for a week-long stay.

Also, the housekeeping is one once, mid-week and they dont change your linens, but everything else they do. If you check-in on a Friday, the do a "Mini-Clean" on Monday. I didn't mind that too much.

A big negative is that you have to pay $9.95 for 24 hours of internet. You go pick up the ethernet cord at the front desk and charge the fee when you connect to the internet in your room. It's not WiFi either...you're stuck where the ethernet connects. I agree with another reviewer...now a days, wireless internet should be standard.

We went to Sea World and the Wild Animal Park. The WAP is very close, maybe 15 minutes away. Sea World is about 35-40 min away. We didn't find this to be a long drive at all. The resort is in a remote, but good location. We really enjoyed it.

The slide at Boulder Springs is a lot of fun, but you must be I think 42" to slide down it. You can buy flotation devices for adults and children, even for babies at the pool area in Boulder Springs. You can also exchange your wet pool towels for dry ones there. We drove around to different stores trying to find goggles and flotation devices when all along they sold them there in the pool area with the attendant...even the goggles and cheaper than at Sports Authority.

They have a market and Pizza Hut on site....the market has everything, a couple dollars over-priced, but closes at 8 PM, so be ready to drive somewhere else if you need anything. There is a Vons, Albertsons, Trader Joes not too far away.

Canyon Grille - we had dinner here on Sunday evening and the food was great. My husband and I both had the Prime Rib dinner and it was very good. We had the coconut shrimp to start and that was also very good. We would recommend having dinner there at least once.

That's about it...overall we liked it and will be returning, just to a bigger unit.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family