“Nice Property”

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a very nice property, a little off the beaten path but lots to do. They have to many activities to keep everyone entertained. I do wish the water slide would remain open later. They even had a movie playing poolside.

Room Tip: The kitchen is very roomy and complete with everything needed to prepare your own meals.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Highland1,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on the resort. It is great to hear you enjoyed your vacation here at Welk Resort. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed at the Welk Resort May 17th-25th, it was a time share exchange, I read many reviews and was pleasantly surprised, it was a great visit. We had a 2 bedroom unit for two couples. Should have requested 2 king beds, One of the two bedrooms had 2 double beds. Unit 293. The condo was very spacious and bathrooms and kitchen beautiful. The grounds and pools all lovely. We visited downtown San Diego, the beach in Carlsbad, went to the Safari Park, shopping all very reasonable travel time from the resort. Many restaurants in Escondido and San Marcos to dine. Our children live in the area and came to visit with the Grandchildren and loved the pools and fishing pond. Golf was very affordable. Checking in was a breeze and no pressure to do a timeshare presentation. We will stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellady2003

Dear Travellady2003,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on our resort villas and features. It is great to hear you enjoyed your exchange visit and our resort amenities here at Welk Resort. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to you visiting us again when you come out to see your family.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just left the hotel with my family after a 2 night stay.
I just didn't like a few things about this hotel:
The wii-fi it's very slow not really worth using it.
Walls separating rooms paper thin.
Housekeeping every 3 days.
No re stock of toiletries, towels, coffee.
Nearest restaurant (other than the hotel's, closes at 2100) or gas station more than 5 miles away
I would prefer 2 queen beds instead of a king and a sofa bed
Pool area kind of dirty, small kids in the jacuzzi.
Things we liked:
Restaurant has very good food, would like to see the Buffett extended to more days
Workers very helpful from the front desk to the maids.

Room Tip: Great hotel for golfer and couples.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MarkE0668
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We took our family vacation here at the Welks and what a great time we had!! We had a 2 bdrm resort villa in Harmony Hill and could not have been happier! The rooms were awesome and so was the view. There were 6 of us total and we stayed comfortably. The kitchen was a great money savor and there was something for all ages all day long! The staff was always helpful and welcoming. I loved the grounds and the walks to and from activities. The night under the lights was a great all around evening for both my mom and my little ones. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading reviews but we would love to stay here again! Theres a great farmers market just down the road called Garden of Eden. I highly recommend it for organic produce and veggies! Some of the activities were not filled up ( i had my 5 year old signed up for the slumber party) and they had to cancel. After a very upset 5 year old cried they rescheduled and charged only half price for the mix up. She was the only child there but that didn't stop the girl from making sure my daughter had a great time. Only weird thing was we had ants coming out of the water spout in the master bathroom. Other than that the stay was excellent!!

Stayed: May 2014
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Stephanie M,
It is great to hear your family enjoyed their vacation here at the Welk Resort. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on the resort activities and features. It sounds like your family really took advantage of all of our resort amenities and activities. Thank you for the highlights and feedback from your stay. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This was our first time staying at The Welk Resort and I had been reading Trip Advisor reviews for months! I must say I wish I wouldn't have taken so many of the review to heart and I now realize that not every opinion matches my own. My husband and I had a 2 bedroom unit and it was just us, no kids. Lots of room!
We did take the time to call ahead and put a room location request on our reservation. We exchanged our home resort with Interval International and selected this resort due to some friend's wonderful comments about the property.
We arrived on a Saturday evening around 6pm. Check in was a bit slow but not that bad. We had 3 people in front of us and things moved along quickly. The check in staff was very friendly but the line was getting longer behind us so we were lucky to arrive when we did. I would suggest more check in staff at peak times.
I had read about the strong time share presentation push so I was prepared. We already have 2 time shares so have no interest in another one. We've seen way too many presentations so I was prepared to say NO and be strong. I passed on the presentation and that was that. No pressure after that point. I was relieved as that was mentioned in many peoples reviews as bothersome.
We had requested a nice view, 2nd floor, renovated unit. We were assigned Jubilee 212 and loved it! We were told only the baths and kitchen had been renovated which was fine with us. Our unit had a mountain, golf course and pond view plus it was an end unit!!! Everything was clean and worked well. Our beds were comfortable (which was another comments that I saw often).
We had awesome weather for our week which made it even nicer. We visited the pool but did not swim. The area was clean and tidy. We also went to the recreation room (even though we have no kids). I think if we had kids this would have been a wonderful asset.
We did not feel the nearest grocery store was a far drive as many people commented. We cut our week stay to 5 nights and headed down to San Diego to stay in a hotel, mostly due to people's remarks. I will never make that mistake again. My husband and I were sad to leave early and wished we could have stayed our full 7 days!

Room Tip: Jubilee 212 was awesome! The building has nice views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sara G,
Thank you for staying here at the Welk Resort and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the highlights and comments on the quality and condition of our resort and villas. I am glad to see you felt you had a great exchange experience. Thank you for your excellent review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort when you return to the area.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have traveled the world and stayed simple resorts as well as 5 stars resort. I’m not very difficult to please but I do expect honesty and good service. Of all the places I stayed, Welk resort is the highest in my list to NEVER stay again. We booked a one bedroom suite but upon our arrival, we were informed there was issues in our room and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom instead. The lady in the lobby said they will call our cell phone the next day if they need us to move out of the 2 bedroom to the 1 bedroom we booked. The following day, we went to the pool area of the resort. There are multiple pools but only the newer pool was worth going to. The the other pools appeared to have unclear dirty water.
While we were in the pool, we called the lobby to check if we had any message since no one called our cell phone to check if we need to evacuate the 2 bedrooms and move to the one bedroom. Later in the afternoon, we came back to our room and there was a family waiting to get in. When the lobby and the office was called to clarify the misunderstanding, we were informed that the lobby staff attempted to call us several times. The staff blamed us for the confusion. We showed the security our cell phone to show NO phone calls was received. We also informed them WE even called the office for any message. We were rushed to repack and move out of the room. No apologies was given.
After reading several reviews it seems this resort over books guest and frequently gives them room they did not reserve. Then they turn around and blame it on their customer. I just can’t stand dishonesty. I would rather stay elsewhere. There are better resort to stay at in San Diego area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank travelgirlrn70

Dear travelgirlrn70,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review which gives us the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Welk Resort. I understand your frustration with your room change experience. I apologize for an inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. I have brought the matter to the attention of our resort management team for review. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and hope you will consider giving us another chance to change your impression.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

The Welk resort is a well maintained resort situated in Escondido which is a short drive to the attractions in San Diego or the Wild Animal Park (also in Escondido). As a place to stay, it is clean and comfortable. The grounds are very pretty.

If you are traveling here for a resort experience however, you may be disappointed depending upon what you are looking for. As the name would imply, the Lawrence Welk Resort was build in another time for a different generation. That generation however was younger at the time of its construction of course. As a result, the shows, decor, food were oriented towards an octogenarian group but the facility was not (lots of stairs, lack of handicap upgrades, etc).

So onto the pros and cons list:

Pros
Location: very close to San Diego, Wild Animal Park, etc without being in the center of it all
Short drive to many restaurants
Quiet, safe and friendly resort
Restaurant, pool, golf, a couple shops and theater on site
Lots of activities (focus: children and an older generation. This is great for ages 8-12 and perhaps an absolute perfect fit when several generations are coming together). There are some fun things for those in the middle years if you like something on the quiet side.
Daily shows. (Not something I would drive a far distance to see but was fun. The one woman comedy show put on by an actual nun on Catholicism was very entertaining. They also had some small productions of musicals.)

Cons
I placed "Quiet" on the Pros List but for some this could be a Con too. It is very quiet.
Shops - a couple shops with clothes adorned with sequins. (No joke)
Coffee shop/store was sparse and the "Starbucks" sign means Starbucks coffee - no lattes, etc
The restaurant menu appears similar to Carrows or Cocos. If you are not familiar with these think 50's diner. I cannot attest to the food though as the menu was as far as we got.
TVs were very, very small. The tvs were as wide as they were deep - 14 inch in the living room and perhaps 18 or so in the bedroom. Luckily I am not a tv watcher but if I was, I would have been extremely disappointed and frustrated.

So the Welk Resort is a great place to go depending upon what you are looking for. If you are looking for a very quiet, laid back, safe spot from which to venture out to San Diego or just kick back with a good book or go golfing. This is a great spot.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with anyone with issues with stairs, you will need to ask for rooms that have e...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TheMadScalpel

Dear Themadscalpel.
Thank you for staying here at the Welk Resort and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the your review and the feedback from your stay with us. I also appreciate your positive comments and your thoughts on the areas for improvement. If you return to the area please be sure to stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Tuscany Hills Retreat
Tuscany Hills Retreat
#13 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!