My family and I had stayed at this resort about 4 years ago and thought it was nice. So this time, a buddy and I left our families at home and went to San Diego for a 4-day tennis trip. We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite at the Villas on the Green section of this resort, exchanging through Interval International.
Located about 35 miles from SAN airport, away from most of the congestion of San Diego which means you will need a car to get around. Grocery store (Vons) is about 5 miles away but there is an onsite store and Pizza Hut Express. The grounds are quite nice, with pool, golf and tennis courts. Since our wives and kids were not with us, we did not use the pool or participate in other resort activities.
One of our goals was to play tennis for a couple hours a day and then visit San Diego area. Since we played early morning and it was chilly this time of year, we did not have any competition for court time. The 2 tennis courts were lighted with hard surface.
* Free parking
* Free Wi-Fi, reasonable speed, easy to connect without dropping connection
* Tranquility of resort
* Nice grounds
* Lots of outdoor grills
* Decent size room and décor
* Distance to most San Diego attractions (no big deal for us)
* Appliances working but slightly dated
* Insulation between floors not great so can hear people upstairs stomping around
* Shower is very nice but lighting too dark
* Laundry machines not in room
* Dining chairs looked quite used and stained
* Sofa bed uncomfortable
Nice place for getaway, whether as adults or with children. Would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary WiFi access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, new for 2016 state of the art fitness center, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego