“Nice Tranquil Place, a bit far from San Diego” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resort San Diego

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Charlotte, NC
“Nice Tranquil Place, a bit far from San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family and I had stayed at this resort about 4 years ago and thought it was nice. So this time, a buddy and I left our families at home and went to San Diego for a 4-day tennis trip. We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite at the Villas on the Green section of this resort, exchanging through Interval International.

Located about 35 miles from SAN airport, away from most of the congestion of San Diego which means you will need a car to get around. Grocery store (Vons) is about 5 miles away but there is an onsite store and Pizza Hut Express. The grounds are quite nice, with pool, golf and tennis courts. Since our wives and kids were not with us, we did not use the pool or participate in other resort activities.

One of our goals was to play tennis for a couple hours a day and then visit San Diego area. Since we played early morning and it was chilly this time of year, we did not have any competition for court time. The 2 tennis courts were lighted with hard surface.

Likes
* Free parking
* Free Wi-Fi, reasonable speed, easy to connect without dropping connection
* Tranquility of resort
* Nice grounds
* Lots of outdoor grills
* Decent size room and décor

Neutral
* Distance to most San Diego attractions (no big deal for us)
* Appliances working but slightly dated

Dislikes
* Insulation between floors not great so can hear people upstairs stomping around
* Shower is very nice but lighting too dark
* Laundry machines not in room
* Dining chairs looked quite used and stained
* Sofa bed uncomfortable

Summary
Nice place for getaway, whether as adults or with children. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank KermitNC
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
KermitNC,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on the resort activities, location and features. It is great to hear you enjoyed your exchange visit / tennis trip here at the Welk Resort. We look forward to you returning for another fun filled vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Los Gatos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We exchanged 2-bdr villas in the Marriott Newport Coast and they gave us the very minimum possible in exchange, Smallest 1-bdr with NO washer and dryer and a master bedroom w/ view to the garbage dumps. Not only there was zero interest to accommodate any of our requests, the overall attitude was rude. Beware, expect the minimum.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Efi101
Dear Efi101,
I apologize for the challenges encountered during your exchange visit to Welk Resort. The exchange parameters are set up through your exchange company not by Welk Resort. We would not control what you placed into exchange and the villa exchange equivalent provided to you at Welk Resort by your exchange company. That being said, your concerns have been brought to the attention of our resort management team. That is not the impression we want taken away from a stay at our resort. I hope you will consider staying with us again.
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a truly beautiful resort. You can't imagine how nice it is to see blooming bromeliads outside in November. The room was spacious, clean and well supplied. The people were friendly and the gift shop had beautiful items at great prices.
I had a couple of issues. One was water. I live in the desert and maybe am oversensitive to this issue. I reported a dripping bathtub faucet twice but it never got replaced. It had been dripping a long time because the tub was discolored. There is also no recirculating pump so you don';t get instant hot water like you do in most hotels. It really bothered me to let the water run till it was hot.
The other issue was signage. It wasn't very good. I kept having to ask directions (which were poorly given.) The name of the section where I stayed was nowhere on any sign anywhere.
As beautiful as it was to stay there, I still wanted to go out and about. Everything is at least a half hour away, even on the freeway.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Mary D
Dear Mary D,
Thank you for staying here at the Welk Resort and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the wonderful review and the feedback from your stay with us. I also appreciate your positive comments and your thoughts on the areas for improvement. If you return to the area please be sure to stay with us again.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Lovely quiet rooms with full facilities. OK golf, a little pricey for what's there.
BUT pool area a disaster!!!Play area, pool& slide. Next is hot tub & what should be an adults pool, but no such luck. Hot tub (for 13 max.) filled with OVER 15 kids, some tossing football in the spot. NO PARENT or pool guard to control them!
The whole time there, the hot tub was filled with reckless kids, no supervision, & same for other pool. Went to overpriced "Broadway Style" show. Not worth $100 for 2 tickets. Nice Farmer's Market @ the sq. One overpriced restaurant on site, but other restaurants 20 - 30 minutes away, so they have you as captive. Prepare your own meals? Grocery store a distance away as well.
Next time, I will buy groceries before getting there & travel there other than school closes. It's removed from everything, but the site is lovely & very relaxing.

Room Tip: Don't come here during Christmas/ New Years period if you don't have kids!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank jerryatric
Dear Jerryatric,
I appreciate the feedback from your visit with us. It is great to hear you found our resort site lovely and relaxing. Thank you for choosing to stay at Welk Resort and for taking the time to post your review. We are a family resort and try to address the needs of all of our guests. We have five recreation areas at here at Welk. Our Melody Hill recreation center has a pool, hot tub and cardio room that are designated with an 18 and over age restriction. We look forward to you returning to visit us again.
Mattawan, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

These were the best equipped resort condos we've ever stayed. Welk grounds were beautiful. Several pools and recreation centers, usually one is each group of condos. Nice central location to many southern California attractions.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John V
Dear John V,
It is great to see your family enjoyed their vacation here at Welk Resort. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on our resort amenities and features as well as the beauty of the resort. Thank you for the feedback from your stay. If you return to the area please be sure to visit us again.
New Rochelle, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is my third stay at the Welk Resort in Escondido (first review). On my two previous stays, I had a two bedroom unit. Absolutely lovely. Well kept. And I find the resort staff very nice and helpful. The only complaint I've had in the past is the location. It really is in the middle of nowhere. Great scenery but without a car, there is nowhere to go. With a car it is at least a 10-15 minute ride to shops and restaurants. Not really a big deal (I always rent a car) but just wanted to point that out.

Since I've had a great experience with my two previous visits, I chose to return. This visit I reserved a one bedroom unit. Here was the shocker. The design of the unit has a large room that is the living room, dining room and kitchen. You then walk through a door that is off where the living room meets the dining room. The door leads into the bathroom. So how do you get to the bedroom? Walking through the bathroom. And there is NO door between the bathroom and the bedroom. In other words, if someone is in the bedroom you have ZERO privacy while in the bathroom.

If you plan on visiting this lovely resort, and what I just described would make you uncomfortable, make sure you see a floor plan of the unit you're going to occupy.

In addition, I have a suggestion for the resort (assuming they read our reviews). The morning after I checked in, I decided to sit on the deck. When I went to open the glass sliding door, it was unlocked. In other words I was in the unit all night with the sliding door unlocked. Suggestion: As part of housekeeping's duties in preparing a unit for the next guest, have them make sure the sliding door is locked.

Room Tip: See review. Get a floor plan of the unit you want to reserve if having no door between the bedroom a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jaynyc2
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Jaynyc2,
Thank you for repeatedly making Welk Resort your destination of choice. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. I have brought your concerns to the attention of our Resort Management team and our housekeeping group. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon and having the chance to exceed your expectations.
Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is our third stay at this timeshare resort, having been given a week by a timeshare owner. Each time we've stayed in a different section. This time we were in Troon, near the Boulder Springs Clubhouse and Rec Center -- the one with the water slide and kid play area.
Our room was on the ground floor, with a spacious deck overlooking a green area and a circle of other apartments. We only had one really major problem - the first night a group of young women checked in above us and were immediately extremely loud with booming bass music and later in the day obvious sounds of loud partying. As we had three small children in our unit, it was unacceptable. We had to call security three times - finally the last time around midnight with a request to security to either move them or move us. In the morning, the group moved. We also had one smaller issue with no sheets on the hydabed, and it took three calls over the space of three hours to get that resolved.
But other than that, the staff has been nothing short of accommodating, and the unit has been just tremendous. Great location to walk across to the pool or to walk to other areas. The unit is so fully stocked you can't even imagine what's not here - down to a flyswatter!
We used the barbecue area which was great -- only later found the barbecue tools in the kitchen.
We alos spent a great deal of time at the Broadway HIll pool and clubhouse, as there were rarely people at that pool and it gave the kids the chance to have the pool to themselves. There's also a lap pool there for adults.
Only problem I found as an adult, was that the pools were not heated this time of year enough to my liking. I found them to be too cold for me to spend any time in, though the kids were ok most of the time. They only complained twice that it was too cold and then they went in the hot tub.
One child in the party did several crafts ($3 each) and my son did the build-a-sundae event twice ($4 each time - a little steep).
The clubhouses were so clean and really tricked out with things to do - air hockey, pool, foosball, movies, games - this place is very accommodating and thinks of everything.
Be forewarned in January - each week a different pool closes for maintenance - this time it was the major big pool at Mountain Springs, which we would have loved to been at all week. But there are so many other choices. We never got to go fishing - which is a good deal at $4 an hour rental. There's a basketball court we're trying today.
The concierge has great directions to places like Julian and Legoland.
We did not have time to eat in the restaurant this time, but in the past have really enjoyed the treat and good food.
We did the Monday farmer's market, which was fun and lively and though it lacked generally in "farmer" food (very few fruit and veggie tables), it had so many other things for sale we had a great time looking around.
My bed in the one bedroom was a king which was very, very comfortable. The hydabed was old and not so comfortable with the springs, so we took the mattress and put it on the floor, then folded a comforter over the top of it to add cushioning, and that was fine.
Today it looks like rain so we will probably go to some of the other clubhouses to look around.
I enjoy this resort so much, and would come back anytime.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, be sure to inform the booking folks.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nora W
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Nora W,
It is great to hear your family had a great vacation here at Welk Resort. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on our resort activities and features. The on-site activity information you included is great. I am glad our resort team quickly handled the challenges encountered during your vacation with us. It sounds like your family really took advantage of our resort activities. Thank you for your wonderful review. We look forward to your return visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
BEST WESTERN Escondido Hotel
Lakehouse Hotel & Resort
Lakehouse Hotel & Resort
#1 of 4 in San Marcos
4.5 of 5 stars 652 reviews

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!