Welk Resort San Diego
$98
ComfortInn
$79
Best Western Escondido Hotel(Escondido)(Great Value!)
$120
$69
$62
$149
1,727 results
All reviewstime sharesan diegorec centercanyon grillbedroom unitfull kitchentimeshare tourfarmers marketharmony hillwhelkstimeshare presentationmountain villaair hockeyboulder springsparking passtimeshare exchangewasher dryer
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I am taking the unusual step of writing this view before we depart as I am interested to see how the management respond.
We got off to a bad start In that our room was not ready on time and had not been properly prepared i.e. dishwasher not emptied, mould on the shower curtain, surfaces not cleaned, etc. We were offered alternative accommodation but in wanting to avoid the hassle of moving we asked for the place to be given a thorough cleaning.
There are tiny handprints on the bedroom sliding door mirrors from previous residents who presumably had a small child with them. So it seems that we are still waiting for the accommodation to be cleaned as agreed with the duty manager.
The furniture is rather shabby e.g the sofa is in poor condition with the seat cushions being threadbare and damaged.
Last night the BBQ by our place did not work and is presumably out of gas. I reported this at the time and was told that it would be replaced. There are plenty of alternative BBQs to use, so no great drama. But this morning the BBQ in question has been cleaned but still does not work.
The gym is relatively small and popular first thing in the morning. Two out of four treadmills have been out of order for most of our stay.
On a positive note the resort is kept clean and tidy and seems to be a great place for families; the adult only pool provides a quiet environment to relax.
The concierge was very helpful in arranging a whale watching trip for us, which is greatly appreciated.
In overall terms we are accustomed to receiving far better quality service, which has been disappointing. Despite this we are still enjoying our stay but it could have been so much better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank howlett365
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a surprisingly good time on a last-minute vacation at this resort. We enjoyed the activities--fishing, tennis, swimming and relaxing. The magic show was a hit too. The down-side was that restaurant is only so-so and the resort isn't close to many other restaurants. We did not participate in any of the time share sales pitch.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a great resort. There is something for everyone. 8 swimming pools, 2 water slides, open Market, movies, golf, shopping. The villas are very well payed out. The kitchen is large. Bathrooms are wonderful! The entire villa is laid out well. Walking track, fitness center.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dickerson1,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review regarding your stay here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for all the positive comments about our facilities and activities. Please be sure to visit us again when you return to the area.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently traded a timeshare week from Colorado to the Welk Resort in Escondido, Ca north of San Diego. Being that it is a bit out in the country I thought I might not like it. I was wrong. It was a wonderful setting amoungst the mountains. E Z freeway access, beautiful grounds, pools, waterslides, kids water splash park, golf course, tennis courts, restaurant, spa services, hot tubs, and small convenience store.

If you wanted to go to the Pacific Beaches it was an easy 30 minute or less drive to Oceanside. A bit farther to San Diego.

The one bedroom condo was large, 2 years old, tastefully done in a mountain theme with stunning views, 2 gas fireplaces, jetted tub, double bath sinks, HUGE walk in 3 head shower, washer/dryer, full kitchen complete with all eating / cooking untensils. Just a delightful condo.

Bear in mind this is a timeshare resort. For those of us who trade units etc you only get housekeeping mid week. Not sure what they do for the paying guests. We could have additional housekeeping upon request and additional fee. However, they will bring towels, soaps, etc as needed complimentary.

The only downside is they will contact you at check-in and again call you in your room offering a golf cart tour of the property and a gift of movie tickets, credit voucher in the hopes you will buy a timeshare week from them. I declined as I bought my timeshare on E Bay several years ago for just a dollar ! I just pay my annual owners dues of $700. Quite frankly this has worked out very well for me with affordable costs. Where can you stay in a nice condo for a week for only $700? That's only $100 per night. Timeshares generally are a VERY BAD INVESTMENT.

So over all the Welk Resort is great in all aspects. Next year I have a reservation on the coast at Dana Point. However, I may return to Welk Resort again in the following year !

Happy Travels !

Room Tip: The newest condos are up on the mountain off Welk View Street. However, people told me the older units are extremely nice as well.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

rssingnl,
Thank you for the wonderful review of Welk Resorts. I appreciate the glowing remarks about our location, amenities and activities. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just got back from a weeks stay here. The unit was large (it was actually a handicapped unit which we are not handicapped) 2 bedroom with 2 bath. Nice porch with great view of the mountains. We stayed at Harmony Hill which is close to the rec center. The Rec Center is fully equipped with lots of stuff to keep you busy, Foosball, ping pong, pool table games etc. Also have tennis, basketball, fishing pond, shuffle board and more. The activities were great. Lots of them. My kids did the casino/poker night which they could win gift cards from various places like Amazon. There is a charge for all or most of the activites. Wish it was cheaper or provide more free activites. The casino night was 10 each and then my younger daughter did teen dance night which was also 10. They have golfing classes also for a fee. They do push to do the tour but we didn't. They ask you to do it upon check in and then they will also call you. They say it is a no pressure tour and the 80 will be given up front or tickets to attractions or for use on site. We exchanged from our time share and this is the first time share that was available through rci and they had good reviews. Our unit was clean and had everything you need. The pools were nice. We have stayed in a lot of time share so the pools were nothing out of this world but they do have 2 with slides. We ate at pizza hut the first night. They wouldn't deliver after 8 for some reason. They also have Canyon Grill which we didn't visit but looked nice. We didn't visit the theater either. We took a trip to La Jolla beach which I would recommend. There are caves there and tidal pools. Also go to the top of the mountain which has a great view. I would also recommend Mission beach if you have kids, teenagers or anyone really. Lots of stuff going on there, it is congested but there are tons of shops and restaurants. I would recommend the Welk resort. It makes you feel like you are kind of out in the middle of nowhere but there are lots of things to do within the resort and around the area. We also dined at the Ali Baba restaurant and enjoyed that too.

Room Tip: I hear some of the units like the Mountain ones are smaller. We were lucky and stayed at Harmony Hill which was a nice size.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank laurenh33

Laurenh33,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. Thank you for the highlights and details provided on the resort activities and features. I also appreciate you including the local activity information in your review for future guests. It is wonderful to hear your family had a chance to get together and have a great vacation here at Welk Resort. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you return to the area.