“Could be so much better”

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Could be so much better”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I am taking the unusual step of writing this view before we depart as I am interested to see how the management respond.
We got off to a bad start In that our room was not ready on time and had not been properly prepared i.e. dishwasher not emptied, mould on the shower curtain, surfaces not cleaned, etc. We were offered alternative accommodation but in wanting to avoid the hassle of moving we asked for the place to be given a thorough cleaning.
There are tiny handprints on the bedroom sliding door mirrors from previous residents who presumably had a small child with them. So it seems that we are still waiting for the accommodation to be cleaned as agreed with the duty manager.
The furniture is rather shabby e.g the sofa is in poor condition with the seat cushions being threadbare and damaged.
Last night the BBQ by our place did not work and is presumably out of gas. I reported this at the time and was told that it would be replaced. There are plenty of alternative BBQs to use, so no great drama. But this morning the BBQ in question has been cleaned but still does not work.
The gym is relatively small and popular first thing in the morning. Two out of four treadmills have been out of order for most of our stay.
On a positive note the resort is kept clean and tidy and seems to be a great place for families; the adult only pool provides a quiet environment to relax.
The concierge was very helpful in arranging a whale watching trip for us, which is greatly appreciated.
In overall terms we are accustomed to receiving far better quality service, which has been disappointing. Despite this we are still enjoying our stay but it could have been so much better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank howlett365

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a surprisingly good time on a last-minute vacation at this resort. We enjoyed the activities--fishing, tennis, swimming and relaxing. The magic show was a hit too. The down-side was that restaurant is only so-so and the resort isn't close to many other restaurants. We did not participate in any of the time share sales pitch.

• Stayed July 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a great resort. There is something for everyone. 8 swimming pools, 2 water slides, open Market, movies, golf, shopping. The villas are very well payed out. The kitchen is large. Bathrooms are wonderful! The entire villa is laid out well. Walking track, fitness center.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dickerson1,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review regarding your stay here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for all the positive comments about our facilities and activities. Please be sure to visit us again when you return to the area.
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently traded a timeshare week from Colorado to the Welk Resort in Escondido, Ca north of San Diego. Being that it is a bit out in the country I thought I might not like it. I was wrong. It was a wonderful setting amoungst the mountains. E Z freeway access, beautiful grounds, pools, waterslides, kids water splash park, golf course, tennis courts, restaurant, spa services, hot tubs, and small convenience store.

If you wanted to go to the Pacific Beaches it was an easy 30 minute or less drive to Oceanside. A bit farther to San Diego.

The one bedroom condo was large, 2 years old, tastefully done in a mountain theme with stunning views, 2 gas fireplaces, jetted tub, double bath sinks, HUGE walk in 3 head shower, washer/dryer, full kitchen complete with all eating / cooking untensils. Just a delightful condo.

Bear in mind this is a timeshare resort. For those of us who trade units etc you only get housekeeping mid week. Not sure what they do for the paying guests. We could have additional housekeeping upon request and additional fee. However, they will bring towels, soaps, etc as needed complimentary.

The only downside is they will contact you at check-in and again call you in your room offering a golf cart tour of the property and a gift of movie tickets, credit voucher in the hopes you will buy a timeshare week from them. I declined as I bought my timeshare on E Bay several years ago for just a dollar ! I just pay my annual owners dues of $700. Quite frankly this has worked out very well for me with affordable costs. Where can you stay in a nice condo for a week for only $700? That's only $100 per night. Timeshares generally are a VERY BAD INVESTMENT.

So over all the Welk Resort is great in all aspects. Next year I have a reservation on the coast at Dana Point. However, I may return to Welk Resort again in the following year !

Happy Travels !

Room Tip: The newest condos are up on the mountain off Welk View Street. However, people told me the older un...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
rssingnl,
Thank you for the wonderful review of Welk Resorts. I appreciate the glowing remarks about our location, amenities and activities. Please come visit us again soon.
Lehigh Acres, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just got back from a weeks stay here. The unit was large (it was actually a handicapped unit which we are not handicapped) 2 bedroom with 2 bath. Nice porch with great view of the mountains. We stayed at Harmony Hill which is close to the rec center. The Rec Center is fully equipped with lots of stuff to keep you busy, Foosball, ping pong, pool table games etc. Also have tennis, basketball, fishing pond, shuffle board and more. The activities were great. Lots of them. My kids did the casino/poker night which they could win gift cards from various places like Amazon. There is a charge for all or most of the activites. Wish it was cheaper or provide more free activites. The casino night was 10 each and then my younger daughter did teen dance night which was also 10. They have golfing classes also for a fee. They do push to do the tour but we didn't. They ask you to do it upon check in and then they will also call you. They say it is a no pressure tour and the 80 will be given up front or tickets to attractions or for use on site. We exchanged from our time share and this is the first time share that was available through rci and they had good reviews. Our unit was clean and had everything you need. The pools were nice. We have stayed in a lot of time share so the pools were nothing out of this world but they do have 2 with slides. We ate at pizza hut the first night. They wouldn't deliver after 8 for some reason. They also have Canyon Grill which we didn't visit but looked nice. We didn't visit the theater either. We took a trip to La Jolla beach which I would recommend. There are caves there and tidal pools. Also go to the top of the mountain which has a great view. I would also recommend Mission beach if you have kids, teenagers or anyone really. Lots of stuff going on there, it is congested but there are tons of shops and restaurants. I would recommend the Welk resort. It makes you feel like you are kind of out in the middle of nowhere but there are lots of things to do within the resort and around the area. We also dined at the Ali Baba restaurant and enjoyed that too.

Room Tip: I hear some of the units like the Mountain ones are smaller. We were lucky and stayed at Harmony Hi...
1 Thank laurenh33
Laurenh33,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. Thank you for the highlights and details provided on the resort activities and features. I also appreciate you including the local activity information in your review for future guests. It is wonderful to hear your family had a chance to get together and have a great vacation here at Welk Resort. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you return to the area.
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Horrible. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE. We went for the time share presentation and were told that it would be 90 minutes and we ended up being there for 3 1/2 hours. It was the same typical time share draw where they make you seem like you are getting a good deal and pressure you into buying something on the spot. Part of me actually believed them, but the one main draw back with what they are selling is if you look more into the properties you can switch your time share with most of the places I want to go are not even in there. Anyway the first time share person who was with us for most of the afternoon seemed friendly and helped the time go by faster, but then the actual sales rep came over he was horrible. I do not remember his name, but I will say that it was a lot to do with him that made us really not want to buy here. He was very unpersonable and was just direct and to the point and was in no way willing to negotiate at all on price. It is all about coming up with numbers that after you leave there you realize made no sense. The other huge disappointment was that we went to the time share presentation being told we were going to get a three night trip to Hawaii with airfare, but when looking at reviews before we went I found out that you really only end up with about one full day there with the times the flights come in and leave. So we asked to switch to the other gift which was supposed to be three nights in Catalina with boat tickets. I was also told that if the gift did not involve airfare then you were able to go any day of the week including weekends. Well after the presentation we were given our gift and it was one night in Catalina and has to be used midweek with a bunch of restrictions. When I saw this I said this is not what I was promised and was told that they could not do anything and I was given a small slip of paper with a number on it to call. Well I have been calling that number daily and leaving messages and I have not received one call back. I don't even think someone listens to those messages or answers the phone.
The resort itself was not that great either. It was very overcrowded and the amenities were average at best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank PhillipRivers
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Welk Resort, we appreciate your taking the time to let us know of your experience. It is only through important feedback such as this that we have the opportunity to make improvements to our Guest experience.
It is our sincere wish for all our Guests to leave feeling they have been treated with honesty and kindness and we apologize for having failed in that effort. If you will contact me directly with your full name and phone number I can locate you in our system. If there is anything I may do for you in the future please feel free to contact me directly at the email address below.
Kind regards,
Helen Denton
Helend@welkgroup.com
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked this resort based on other reviews. When we got to the "hotel" it turned out to be a time-share resort. Their whole push to sell me a time share was very upsetting. I had an ill 14 year old with me, and they seemed to be checking in all of the "freeby" time share people before anyone else. We arrived at 11:30 AM, and did not get our unit until 4:00PM. I know that 4:00 is their listed check in time, but I sat in the lobby watching dozens of people on the "special" get checked in while I waited with a ill child.

After I finally got to check in, they had the nerve to tell me that I had to go wait in the line for the time share specialist to talk to me before I could get a parking pass to get into the gated area of the unit. Only after I told them three times that I was not interested in the time share tour, did they finally give me the pass, and that was with a frown.

The ultimate insult was that our unit was not cleaned the first day, and I stopped the maid to ask her why. She told me that it was not "your day". When I asked the desk person why the room was not cleaned, she told me that ROOMS ARE ONLY CLEANED EVERY FOUR DAYS" I AM NOT KIDDING YOU!!!! At least she did agree that it was not right that they don't tell you that when you are booking a room, but she could do nothing about it.

So if you want a time share forced down your throat, this is your place. If you want a nice place to stay for a vacation, go on down the road.

Room Tip: If you want to buy a time share, this is your place. If not, don't bother.
5 Thank KATHY R
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review and allowing us the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. We apologize that a room was not available for your early arrival, our front office team should have offered to provide keys to access our 5 recreation centers, some of which have lounges for guests to be able to either read, use the computer or watch TV. We offer daily housekeeping services for a nominal fee which is stated on all reservation sites. We are disappointed that our housekeeping team didn’t mention and no one contacted you. We are able to keep our rates low by not including daily cleans and allowing those who would like to pay for cleans to do so.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
#5 of 19 in Temecula
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#8 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!