“Good stay”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Escondido, California
“Good stay”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Before my trip when haywire here, the room and time was great. Very clean and refurnished/modeled rooms which always appeals to me the most. Good service, good rates and very pretty area to be in. Safe, too. Great for a family stay. I recommend to someone wanting a great room with no doubts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank emr542
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I appreciate the feedback from your stay with us here at Welk. I am glad you enjoyed this part of your visit. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a kids paradise. Nice pools with water slides. Plenty of room and pools for people to spread out.
Rooms are nice. I stayed at their smallest unit (1-bedroom) with kitchenette. Bathroom was huge and beds are comfortable.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pchen0
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
It is great to hear that your family enjoyed the on-site features and activities during their stay here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to your return visit.
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We traded some Intrawest points for week in late March. I was admittedly a tad hesitant with the booking expecting a lot of blue hair and accordian music, but came away from the week suitably impressed. Customer service was extraordinary from check in through to departure and our one bedroom suite very clean, comfortable and well appointed. Lots of activities throughout the day for the whole family including golf, ice cream sundae-making, poker night, farmer's market, s'more's night, ping pong tourney etc, etc - all of which were very well run. Special kudo's to Josh for his extra efforts as activities coordinator. We played the executive course twice and quite enjoyed the layout - fairways may have been a tad dodgy in some spots, but greens were fast and consistent. Pool and hot tub amenities were also excellent. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kings Villas complex on the third floor which was quiet and had a great view of the cou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed our on-site activities and amenities during your exchange visit here at Welk. I appreciate the highlights, feedback and recommendation from your visit with us. We look forward to your return visit.
Whittier
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is really a hit or miss kind of a place.

Rating Excellent - Let's start off with being called on a weekly basis by different people asking with I would like to come out and "see what is new at the Welk Resort". – Very nice and polite people.

Rating Excellent - Having been there before and having my nephews for the weekend I decided to go ahead and schedule a presentation for the weekend of March 30th. – Helpful in scheduling the date I needed and even more helpful in rescheduling when I found out I needed to work on Sunday and had to reschedule the presentation for earlier.

Rating Terrible - When I arrived it was a zoo, I waited for about 20 minutes to check in, I was then told by the young lady at the front desk that I did not have a reservation. I presented the email sent to me and she told “Oh, you’re one of those, your reservation is handled by the concierge department, you need to go over there”.

Rating Poor – I then walked over to the concierge department and showed them my email. I was told that I need to check-in at the front desk. When I told her that I had actually tried to check in and was told that they did not have my reservation, the lady told me to step to the side next to the bathroom and wait there. Another person came out and apologized and said she would go ahead and check to see what the problem was to have a seat in the lobby and she would be right back. When she returned she said that I need to get back in line (another 20 minute wait) and check-in.

Rating Poor – Second try at checking in. This time my name was found in their list of guest, but then I was told to wait that she needed to go and talk to her manager. No reason was given of why she needed to go and talk to the manager – guess I really don’t have a reservation. She returned and gave me a room.

Rating Excellent/Terrible/Excellent - Finally, I have a room. Drove to the building, no parking, no problem there was parking a little farther down the hill. Opened the door to my room just to startle the elderly lady cleaning my room. She apologized for the room not being cleaned, and told me the room had been left to filthy that it would take her at least another 30 minute to clean the room. I returned to the front desk and told them that the room was dirty and that I had been told it would take another 30 minutes to clean the room. She apologized and said she needed to check with her manager to see what room was clean. I guess that is what the previous person was supposed to have done. I was given another room. Got to the room and this time it was clean.

Poor – It seemed like I can now start a nice weekend stay. Wrong…. All of a sudden someone opens the door to the room. No knock first just opened the door to leave the extra pillows and sheets I asked for. OK, the rest of the evening my nephews and I had fun making dinner and the watching TV. 10:30 PM, loud knock on the door, startled me and woke up my nephews. What/Who could it be? Someone delivering sheets, blankets and pillows. Who knock that hard on a door at 10:30 at night. Really, it took them 5 hours to deliver the extra sheets, blankets and pillows I had asked for. 11 PM neighbors yelling and running around. By this time I was so tired that I did not call the front, maybe they would wait another 5 hours to come and pound on my door to see what was wrong.

1 Thank Marta C
WelkResortsTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Marta, we appreciate your taking the time to post a review and also allowing the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. We apologize that your experience during check in was handled inappropriately and for all the confusion related to your reservation. Your feedback regarding these challenges has been addressed with the appropriate managers. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you and your nephews our Welk superior customer service.
pennsylvania
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Traded into this property through II, read some good reviews and read some bad ones also. Don't listen to the negative reviews. We loved everything about this resort. Well not everything...little hard to get around at first as everythinbg is spread out, but once you find your way around no problems. Clean, well appointed, comfortable. Nothing to knock.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank pahepners
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I appreciate the feedback and recommendation from your stay. It is great to hear your family enjoyed their exchange visit with us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We hope you visit us again in the future.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We get this resort through Interval International and I have to say that we were not sure what to expect. We read the reviews here so we requested a 2nd floor room, which worked out great. The 2 bedroom unit was great. My kids loved the pool and movie night. We also loved the grounds. We loved the resort and are already talking about when can we return.

We were contacted a few times the first 2 days about taking a tour of the property but it seems they realized we were serious about not doing it so we stopped getting request.

The resort has a Pizza Hut and Marketplace. The Marketplace is expensive so try to get what you need at the nearby Vons.

My only negative is the distance to San Diego. It took us about 40 minutes to reach downtown.

1 Thank Ravens67
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the feedback from your stay. It is great to hear your family enjoyed their exchange visit with us. I am glad to to hear you are looking forward to your family returning to visit us here at Welk Resort.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For the most part, we enjoyed our entire time on this resort. We weren't trying to do a "presentation", but they insisted and made us a pretty good offer. We went on the presentation. I clocked it from the time the presentation started (even though we checked in at 8:30am as instructed). Someone came and got us about 8:45am, so not a big deal.

After our 90 minutes were up, I insisted that we were not interested and that we would like to get our gifts and continue. Keep in mind, we were very explicit in our desires to NOT attend a presentation. So we were ready to go after the 90 minutes.

She (I don't want to say her name. I don't want to get her in trouble. She was nice enough, just a little over zealous) checked the time and at first, attempted to state that the 90 minutes was not up. But after looking at her records, we had gone over 90 minutes. I had to threaten to walk out. At that point, she asked if we would sign a paper stating that we had gone on a tour.

After we reluctantly went through that process, we were on our way. Our vacation beyond this point was GREAT! They have just about everything you could think of on the resort. Kids pools, adult pools, activities, crafts, ice cream, farmers' market, etc. Everything is on the resort. We went to see a show at the theater and were VERY impressed. This has been our best family vacation by far! Our room was a 2-bedroom villa and was immaculate.

I was a little disappointed that the grill wasn't working, and nothing was done when we called for assistance. Someone did come out, but didn't do anything. We eventually got it working by using a lighter and a paper towel.

I recommend this place for families! It could be for anyone, but it is really a great place for families! What an enjoyable property...

Room Tip: Look at the resort map before selecting a room. There is one available online. Although most every...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed our on-site activities during your stay. I appreciate the highlights, feedback and recommendations from your visit with us. We look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#13 of 16 in Escondido
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!