“Tough one” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda de Vega

Hacienda de Vega
Ranked #13 of 338 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Escondido, California
“Tough one”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The spanish ambiance is unmatched in North County. One can have top shelf margaritas here in a beautiful setting. The food though, while good, is typical of what one could find in a number of tacos shops for 1/2 the cost, Being a full service Mexican restaurant, it doesn't really offer anything out of the ordinary for me to return without an "occasion.". Service I remember to be personable.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Temecula, California
“Could not disagree more!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I am not certain "if" posters are awarding their stars "based" on the property, if so ...that would be the ONLY aspect of ANY of the reviews that I would agree with.

The food in plain English was the WORST!!!

In plain Spanish "un desastre" !!!

Being familiar with authentic Mexican for decades and being a native Californian and knowing the Taco Bell versions as well....the food quality from this place was less than average :/

It was my husbands 55th b-day (this restaurant was highly recommended) therefore we were seeking something "special" we were so utterly disappointed that it wasn't even humorous. I felt that we were on "candid camera" hoping we were anyway so we could at least comprehend WHY the food was so BAD!!!

Drinks:
The "tamarindo margarita" was a disaster!!! Reminded me of tamarindo candy floating inside my drink with a fake after taste, not good.

The "Jamaica" version was much better but that's not saying much...as I am comparing it to the worst :/

I decided to call it quits and play it safe so I ordered a "michilada" how can one screw up a beer!? Of course that was good! Thank goodness.

Food:
Bean & cheese burrito had a nuked taste to it ...horrible. My 10 yr. old grandson could not even choke it down. Why serve this stuff!? I don't get it!

The tortilla soup was UGHHHHH where do I start to describe this catastrophic concoction :/ I sent it back! It tasted like FULL on PURÉE ....no reason to serve this to anyone!

My husband was so frustrated we threw in the towel, raised the white flag and called it a night!

*Point of attention:
This restaurant has a very cool outside waterfall and terrace ...the hacienda itself holds a warm welcoming quaint feel ....however to bad the FOOD is a nightmare!!!

Sad, a hacienda with such potential is housing an owner and a chef that is clearly asleep at the wheel :/ it happens ...come on guy's wake up!!

*Note
As a business owner myself (aware of many pitfalls) at the end of the day we must be honest and fix what's not working.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank billionsandnocure
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Amazing Outdoor Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Located in an out of the way location with a great outdoor dining vibe. All dining is outdoors with some covered and some not. Great outdoor seating area for drinks. We had a large party of 25. All our food arrived correct and hot. GREAT, GREAT Margaritas. Good food and great service.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I pretty much always get the plate and I'm never disappointed. Large servings, amazing, friendly staff, nice decor, and amazing blue margaritas! Ooh the fajitas were also amazing, as well as the coconut shrimp. The sweet corn mash stuff is always a great semi-dessert too!

Vista, California, United States
“Cinco de Maio”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

The restaurant is located in an old hacienda and you can feel that as you walk through the gardens and into the house. All dining and the lounge are outside and the setting is fabulous. There are several small fire pits and one long rectangular one, quite unique. The dramatic waterfall and pond add to the ambiance.

The food and drink are just average. So go for the atmosphere, have a cocktail during Happy Hour and some appetizers and then home or somewhere else for dinner. Prices are a little overstated.

• Visited May 2014