“Trying Hard”
Review of Belle Marie Winery

Belle Marie Winery
Ranked #22 of 54 things to do in Escondido
More attraction details
Owner description: Not just a winery but also a venue for parties and weddings along with tasting rooms and a demonstration vineyard with 29 different grape varieties from around the world.
Escondido, CA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Trying Hard”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Try to support this local winery in Escondido. They specialize in reds but have other choices too. Grapes generally come from the Guadalupe Valley in Mexico. No estate wines that I'm aware of -- insufficient space. Nice picnic area amongst the orange trees.

Visited June 2012

Surprise, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“My Best Winery”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Belle Marie was my wife's favorite and I have to say mine too. We even started a membership in their wine club and are members to this day. Just an excellent winery, wonderful staff and very educated wine makers..love it!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank James M
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Enyoyable and educational”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Tasted a lot of great wines and drank a lot more at an event here and was pleased to wake up the next morning with no headache. My wife normally has one after a single glass and had no problem either. I learned the typical wine has 360 ppm, these have only 4 ppm of nitrites. I am from the midwest, but visited several other wineries in California and this one was my favorite. They can accomodate large groups of well over one hundred.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank drillerboy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Old and New World Wines Unite, Happily”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We've been vintage club members at Belle Marie, just north of Escondido, for several years now. Winemaker Mick and his assistant Jeff, who craft both "new world" (Belle Marie) and "old world" (Chateau Dragoo) style wines, never disappoint. Our most recent tasting included two lovely whites – a Viognier and a blend, a dry rose, and quite a lineup of dry, interesting reds. Besides our club wines – 2008 Tempranillo, 2007 Zin, and 2005 Maestro (80% Cabernet, 20% Nebbiolo), we brought home a delicious and afordably priced 2003 Barolo. It's always a pleasure to visit with Marie in the tasting room.

The winery is easy to get to from San Diego - about a 40-minute drive up Highway 15. There are picnic tables beneath lemon trees.

Visited August 2011
Houston, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Had an Awesome Time!”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Now first let me say that they do not have a Tour of their Winery.......we were hoping for that. But, we had such a great time doing the Wine Tasting that is was OK with us. There was a large group there ahead of us who did the wine tastings and bought a couple bottles wine. Then they had a picnic lunch out into the garden area afterwards and enjoyed the views. What a perfect idea to do! We came in with 6 people to our group. Alan was our host that day. He is extremely knowledgeable. Look for him if you can. He told us each story behind each wine we tasted. His taste references to each wine was right on point. My favorites were the Raspberry Champagne, the Apropos, the Muscat Canelli, and the Malbec.