“Neighborhood Gem”

Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Neighborhood Gem”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We love Cenotes. Great place to run down the hill for a quick bite to eat and meet with friends. Everything is yummy and they are particularly friendly to gluten free diets.

• Visited April 2014

“The best!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Everything here is great - food and service. It gets really crowded though. Be prepared to wait, it is worth it.

• Visited April 2014
Escondido, California
“Tostada + Cenote style = cold salad”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Awhile ago I decided to search online for the best Mexican food in Escondido. I saw very positive reviews about Cenote Grill. I decided to have dinner there and invited my brother. I ordered a Margarita. A waiter asked whether I wanted salt or not on the rim. I said no salt. A waitress arrived to the table with our drinks including a salted rim for me. I said nothing. Under specials I ordered a tostada and decided on the half size. When the waitress brought the food to the table I thought she brought the wrong order. My brother recognized his order but he looked at mine and said 'did yours come with a side?' Looking at my food, I said 'I don't even know what this is'. The waitress said it was the tostada that I ordered. Everything including the meat was cold. It was a salad, not any type of tostada that I had expected. I expected a warm tostada with beans and rice on the side. Perhaps they should list the dish under salads. Otherwise, they could provide pictures so that the customer realizes what they are getting. My brother ate his entree but barely touched his beans or rice. He earlier mentioned that he hadn't eaten since breakfast. He should have been hungry, so the rice and beans must have not tasted very good, because that isn't like him.
What a disappointment. I shared the message above with the restaurant.
The owner/chef responded. He apologized, explained that my order was correct except the beans and rice should have been hot. He added "The type of food we serve is Mexican, but there is a lot of menu items that are presented in a different way than typical Mexican restaurants... If you do decide to come back, please note that we will not charge you for a entrée you do not like or we will switch it out for something you like better. Our servers can offer many suggestions and the kitchen will modify entrees to your liking."
One visit was enough for me.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Aimee W
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Saw a review so decided to try it. Chips and salsa were warm and tasty. They passed our first test. I had the chile relleno burrito with half red and half green sauce and wife had the carne asada chile con cueso. Best ever! Place was packed but they hustle to give good service. Will go there again when we come back to this area.

• Visited February 2014
“Superb..”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Lovely spot, really good authentic and flavoursome Ethnic food, with some really tasty house creations. I loved the choices and varieties available. Guacamole is top notch as are the soups and I can still taste that spinach salad. Full of locals which everyone knows is better than any recommendation. Nearly always a wait but never too long and well worth it.
Really lovely team running the shop, very personable, I can't wait to return on my next trip to North county.

Visited February 2014

Been to Cenote Grill? Share your experiences!