“Great burgers ”

Ranked #49 of 350 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Diner, Mexican, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: San Diego North County's Ultimate Restaurant for Avocado Lovers is NOW OPEN in Historic Downtown Escondido. California Avocado Grill offers a variety of California Cuisine highlighted with fresh avocados. Come try our Crab Stuffed Avocado on the Half Shell, Guacamole, Chicken Avocado Cashew Salad, Curry Thai Tacos or Custom made Avocado Pistachio Ice Cream on one of our two outdoor patios or in our main dining room along with our select wine and unique craft beers. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

If you can get there when they are open definitely try their burgers. Awesome eclectic mix of types. Only downside is that they seem to have odd hours and days when they are closed.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Went here for the first time during Cruisin' Grand. This restaurant has been here for 3 years, stopped by for a quick dinner with my wife, split a salad and a sandwich. The atmosphere was friendly, the staff seems like they are all family, and worked together well. The food came out fresh, it was good, not great. The avocados were very good ( would hope so from a restaurant that has avocado in its name). It was really nice for them to split our plates for us, and the owners/staff were very friendly. I would definitely try this place again, the avocado ice cream sounded really good,

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was my 2nd visit to California Avocado Grill in the last 6 months, and both visits were the same. The name of the restaurant would suggest innovative and creative use of avocados, but it just isn't so. On both visits, I was with a group of 6, each of us ordering different dishes. The salads were very typical mixed greens with shrimp or chicken, with the avocado feature simply being slices of avovado and a bit of avocado oil as the base of the dressing. My grilled caprese sandwich was also nothing special, with the ciabatta bread no better than I can buy at my local chain grocery store. The biggest disappointment was the chicken tortilla soup, which was served bordering somewhere between room temperature and lukewarm. The gaucamole garnish in the soup was good, but no better than any local restaurant that has guacamole on the menu. All in all, there is just nothing about the menu or food that entices me to return.

The service, though was just downright aggravating. I wish I could chalk it up to the waiter having a bad day, but it was the same waiter with the same service flaws as my prior visit. Two members of our group asked to share a beer, to which the waiter responded with a snippy tone. And then we waited...and we waited...and we waited for that beer to be served. Meanwhile, we watched the table next to us be served two rounds of beer. When we flagged the waiter down to remind him that we were still waiting for the beer, he again snapped at us, with a "give me a break" tone. The beer arrived soon after. The highlight of the service was that the food arrived promptly. The downside was not everyone at the table had utensils or napkins. Through the meal, we had to ask for water refills. At the end of the meal, the bill arrived--the waiter never asked if we wanted dessert or anything else. We did order dessert, and it arrived with two spoons. Who serves dessert to a table of 6 with two spoons? My impression in both experiences at this restaurant is that they don't know service basics, don't want to be serving (bad attitude and tone), or just don't care.

On the plus side, the restaurant has a good downtown location and offers outdoor seating. However, those perks are just not enough for me to be a repeat customer.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was the second time we have stopped for lunch at the California Avocado Grill. Both times we were very happy with our choice. The food was very good and plus being healthly. The service was also good. It was quick and reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Loved the food! Had the tortilla soup and the bratwurst. Wonderful, innovative, and delicious ways of using avocados. If you are an avocado lover (like I am) you will not be disappointed. Will definitely be back.