“Small But Special”

Ranked #160 of 348 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Diner, Mexican, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: San Diego North County's Ultimate Restaurant for Avocado Lovers is NOW OPEN in Historic Downtown Escondido. California Avocado Grill offers a variety of California Cuisine highlighted with fresh avocados. Come try our Crab Stuffed Avocado on the Half Shell, Guacamole, Chicken Avocado Cashew Salad, Curry Thai Tacos or Custom made Avocado Pistachio Ice Cream on one of our two outdoor patios or in our main dining room along with our select wine and unique craft beers. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoy the freshness, varied spices, and savory blends, that are added to each dish: my favorites are both the unique tacos, all the sloppy good burgers, and the ​grilled avocado caprese sandwich... the little salad, or soup you get with most are a treat as well... the unique avocado pistachio ice cream is my pick for those who have to have dessert.

This is a small mom & pop type place, so don't expect anything large or extravagant, but everything is kept very clean, and brightly decorated, with lots of 'al fresco' seating, which I like... the Owner, Alex MacLachlan is often on premises too.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Delicious sandwiches, salads, and soups. Everything includes avocados to make the meal a true Southern California treat. Friendly services and casual bar atmosphere. Outdoor seating plentiful in back. Also European style sidewalk ambiance.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Save your money! My wife and I went and were dissatisfied with the food and service and the limited menu! I admit the backyard patio is a nice area - but food and service-wise-BLah!!! You can find better food and service steps away at a handful of other restaurants on Grand.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Although the menu looked fresh and we wanted to like it this place failed on several counts. Ordered Mahi Tacos, as did my sister in law. Others ordered Chicken Tacos and a burger. Everything arrived EXCEPT for my sister in law's tacos. Hers arrived about 15 (or more) minutes later. The waiter brought food to the other three in our party and it grew cold as we waited for hers to arrive. She insisted we eat....and so we nibbled. But by the time hers came everyone was finishing theirs. No appologies, no offering free dessert or to "comp" her plate. Nothing. The burger looked good and definitely was a better value than the "tapa" sized tacos. A side salad came with the tacos, which was about 3/4 cup of mixed green very heavily dressed. Dressing was good but our salads were swimming in the dressing.Tacos were dripping with dressing and couldn't really tell that there was any fish in them as everything tasted heavily of cilantro sauce.Perhaps one or two ounces of fish were on the tacos. Couldn't really tell because it was so heavily shredded/chopped that is had no mouth-feel and blended in with the chopped vegetables in the cold tortilla. Will not return.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I eat here every chance I get. Food is terrific w fresh guac and salsas, good wine selection and great staff :) The chefs love what they fo, you can taste it!

I often dine here as part of weekend Me time following a massage a block away at Bellissima. The entire Grand Ave has all independent small-bizs and has a nice feel; it's a beautiful place to stroll :)