“Well worth a visit.”
Review of Stone Brewing

Stone Brewing
Ranked #2 of 54 things to do in Escondido
More attraction details
Owner description: Stone Brewing was founded in 1996 by Steve Wagner and Greg Koch in North County San Diego, CA. It is the largest craft brewery in the southwestern United States and has been named "All-Time Top Brewery on Planet Earth" by BeerAdvocate magazine - TWICE! A recently announced $26.6M expansion plan (that includes a hotel among other lofty ventures) is underway, as are developments to become the first American craft brewery to open a brewhouse in Europe. The adjacent Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens plays host to countless wildly popular beer and dining events, and is the largest purchaser of local, organic produce in San Diego County, including a growing amount from their own Stone Farms! In addition to promoting ethical eating, the restaurant boasts a lush one-acre outdoor garden as well as a line-up of 32 rotating taps and 100+ bottled craft beer selections for guests to enjoy.
scotland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our group of family and friends stopped here on our way to San Diego, recommended by our son and new daughter-in-law. Even though I am not a beer drinker, I found the tour and tasting very interesting and enjoyable. The $3 charge for tour and tasting, with souvenir glass was a real bargain. We had pre-booked lunch in the Bistro, after the tour. We sat outside at a table for 10.
Service, food and overall ambience was first class. The garden area was very picturesque and I only wish we had more time to stroll around all of the garden area.

Visited August 2013

Santa Clarita, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hop Heads Heaven!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Its taken me a little bit to finally write the review for this garden of dreams & beer!!!
If you are a hop head like me....this will be your heaven!!!! A Beer Geeks Comicon!!!

Me & the boyfriend tried to make our way over here for the beer tour the last trip up to Encinitas back in May (LA in the house!!!!). Since we were noobs we thought it was cute to try & roll up to their LAST beer tour @ 6pm 10 mins before and think we were gonna get in for the tour & tasting...if i were the beertender i would have laughed in our faces but he nicely explained the tours sell out in the afternoons and fill up QUICKLY!!! im pretty sure he laughed at our noobness as we sadly walked away with no beer in our tummies and pain in our hearts from not being able to partake this round....till we meet again Stone...we WILL have this dance.

Fast forward to the next month...our hotel was in encinitas by moonlight beach so our first stop before EVEN checking in was head over to Stone Brewery in Escondido to purchase tickets for a tour that day (about a 20-25 min drive). OH WE MEET AGAIN STONE!!! and this time...we are doing it right. We arrived @ the brewery around noon & saw that 6 outta the 7 tours were already sold out and that included my beloved 6 o clock tour (perfect to grab dinner after the tour & beer)....but as i ran to the front i asked with a small tear in my eye "please dont tell me your 6 o clock is REALLY REALLY sold out (sometimes smiling can move mountains)" the barkeep looks at me and says..."hmm just 2???" and whips 2 tickets out of secret compartment beneath the register (mountains moved lol)!!!! THANK YOU MY GOOD SIR!!!! WE MADE IT!!!!
And it was the greatest...EVER!! $3 gets you a tour around the brewery...knowledge about the home brewers that started it all and where some of our beloved tastes came about. There are tours running throught the day 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 PM. You can purchase a ticket for anyyy tour throught the day but my advice is get there EARLYYY they really do sell out quick. I mean come on..you get to go behind the scenes and after, taste 4 different beers including a new release & an awesome tasting glass...our new release we were lucky enough to taste the Ruination 10!! Ruination is already a fave of mine so them having this anniversary version was delish!! I took a growler home of it OF CORSE!!!

Just walking amongst the beautiful HUGEEEEEE garden with waterfalls and chairs strewn all over...its very private & probaly the most beautiful place EVERRRR to enjoy an amazing craft beer. $1.50 tastes is the perfect way to get your drink on & enjoy everything Stone has to offer!!! Feelin Hoppy & Leavin Happy!

Visited June 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Stone in San Diego”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There is now a Stone Brewery in San Diego (Liberty Station near the Airport) and it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! There is outdoor seating with a little fountain/river thing running through the outdoor area. You can order beer samplers, and so my friends and I did a bunch of flights of different beers from Stone and from other microbreweries (they have beers from all over the world in addition to their own), and the food was very good as well. I had the chicken tikka masala, which wasn't very tikka masala-like but WAS incredibly tasty. We bought several growlers to take home, and the Cali-Belgique is fantastic. All in all, an excellent lunch.

Palm Desert, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth the modest price.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Excellent brewery tour and enjoyable "tasting" at the tour's conclusion for modest price. The restaurant is worth the visit and the garden dining area lovely. A varied menu but the quality didn't measure up to the descriptions for all items. Overall, very enjoyable.

Carlsbad, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Not your average brew pub.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Seemingly having decided to hit EVERY brewery restaurant in the U.S it was only a matter of time until I went to Stone. After all I love their beer so I figured why not go to the source and eat while I'm at it.
I must first of all state that this is not a place for a few beers and some sliders. Stone is far more civilised for that, maybe a bit too civilised. The menu is eclectic and the food very tasty but you will not find a ten dollar burger to accompany that pint of Arrogant you have been craving. The food is pricey for a brewery but well worth the expense. I started with Quail knots (basically a quail version of chicken drumettes) and at 4 pieces for $11 I was hoping they were good. They were better than good so I don't mind paying for quality that my taste buds thank me for.
Second, the place is always busy so if you feel that the staff is inattentive that is probably because they are trying to please a couple hundred people all at once. My advice is watch the fire and water fountain over the Koi pond or stroll through the garden and enjoy the atmosphere. Try to make a reservation if possible to avoid the hassle of waiting.
Third, visit the gift shop. Maybe a t-shirt is not why you went to Stone but the fact they do sampling in there too probably is why you went.
You want cheap and fast go get a McMeal somewhere else, if you want culinary delights and some of the best beers in the United States go here.