“Relaxing and quiet”

Tuscany Hills Retreat
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed over the weekend. Front desk staff was very accommodating in relation to our check-in and check-out times, working around our tee time. Had one of the best massages! Soaking pools were amazing.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Asnaso

Reviewed June 9, 2013

There were many benefits to our stay at this resort. We got a great deal on the room, enjoyed the scenery, and loved the soaking pools. However, the room left much to be desired and made the benefits seems less valuable. We stayed in a deluxe mini suite. The reality of the room did not match the pictures online. The room was more than just dated. It was flat out worn down. The comforter on the bed had holes in it. The room was very humid. The walls were scuffed. There were weird smells and stains in every corner. It was the type of place that made me get out my disinfectant wipes before setting anything down. Needless to say, we were glad for the scenery and the soaking pools because it gave us an escape from the room. If the resort did a few inexpensive updates to the rooms, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindee W
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been reading all of the reviews and am so sorry for the new owner!! Yeah the place might be a lilttle out dated in some of the rooms but all in all it is a small quiet place and so beautiful to look at!! I guess people just like to have something to complain about, instead of seeing the beauty in things!! I however enjoyed my stay and cant wait for the new upgrades that they have planned when I was talking to the new owne, he has a lot of work ahead of him but the outcome of the place is going to be so great that I cant wait to book again!!

If you love nature and feeling like your outdoors come here its great!! yea they dont have a resturant onsite for you to order room service but thats ok just go next door or bring some food!!

It makes me sad that all these people haave been posting bad reviews because the place is great and the staff is so nice!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank SARA B
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I took advantage of a discounted promotion to try a new place close enough to Temecula where we were going to go wine tasting. We were looking forward to a relaxing stay in a 'resort' setting.

First impression: There was a large area off to the left of the lobby entrance that was basically empty. It would have looked nice if it were furnished with couches/chairs/tables to look like an inviting lounge area. We were greeted by a lady (forgot her name) who was very friendly and courteous but it was uncomfortable to sit down with her at a desk to fill out an old-style information card for our stay. I looked over and saw that there was a counter where you would normally check in at in a hotel so I didn't understand why we were sitting at a desk. Maybe she thought it would be more intimate and the 'personal touch' but honestly, I felt like we were about to be given a time-share presentation.

The parking situation was odd. You don't park near your room. The parking lot was up a short but steep hill or we were offered to park on the street, at the end of a cul-de-sac used by golf carts. That didn't seem very inviting so we parked in the parking lot. When we got to the room, we had some difficulty getting the key to work (the key is not a key card, but an actual key for a handle lock). When we got into the room, it was a bit stuffy but not uncomfortable. Using the room however was not as friendly for the following reasons.

Balcony area: There were old metal framed patio chairs & table on the balcony that looked like they have seen one too many seasons. However, the cushions were still in decent enough condition and comfortable. When we went to sit down to enjoy our golf-course view we were disappointed that at eye-level was a wide board for the balcony framing. We could only see a portion of the golf course through a less than wide open slot or the freeway above that wide board. There is only a glass door (not a slider but actual door) to the balcony and it is the only way to get any fresh air in the room (outside of having the front entrance open). There are no windows and no screens to keep the bugs out however. The wall-width curtains only open right down the middle and when you try to open one side, both sides open. There was no way to only have half of the curtains open and leave the other half closed. Very old fashioned.

The room ammenities: There was an old-style tv (no input/output connections to connect to) sitting on a small round table stuffed into the corner of the room. Next to it was the small refrigerator sitting on the floor with the microwave sitting on top of it. The cords to all these items were bulked up in the back and sitting over the floor heating vent. Usually in a resort they offer you real glasses or at least cups that are in plastic covers for sanitary reasons. Not here. They only offered cardboard style cups you would see at a 7-11 without any sanitation covers on them. Who knows who's been handling those! While there were wall plugs, there were none that were convenient for using a laptop or to charge a phone without leaving the phone on the floor (also unsanitary). My husband had to pull out the nightstand for us to use the plug behind it. While the furninshing are in pretty decent condition, they were old and outdated. The comforter was scratchy and they didn't have any additional sleeping pillows in the closet. I had to try to make do with a flimsy, thin pillow that I tried to double over to get good neck support. I could have used one of their decorative pillows, but again they were of that scratchy comforter material. And the walls need to have better sound insulation installed. We could not only hear the conversation of the people next door to us, but being woken up in the middle of the night by our neighbor's 'intimate moments' was very frustrating. They must have been newlyweds because we did not get much sleep that night.

Bathroom: Overall the bathroom was old but clean and I like that they had the curved shower rod for the bath curtain. But the bathroom was inconvenient to use, The toilet was close to the wall and then there was all this open space in the other corner. A useage rack or table of some sort would have filled in the space and given a place to put your bath items on. There was no trash can in the actual bathroom area (only in the vanity area). Note to hotel managers...please have a trash can where women can easily dispose of their sanitary needs instead of making us set it on the floor to be thrown away later (ewe!).

Grounds: This is probably the best part of the resort. I thought the grounds were pretty, all-be-it limited in size, and I loved the colorful flower gardens. We didn't take advantage of the pool, hot spas, or fitness room so I can't comment on those.

Service Ammenities: No there is no room service (very unusual for a 'resort') and walking to the establishment next door is going down a dirt path with some wood stump steps. It would be very slippery/muddy if it were raining. My husband and I walked over to check it out but didn't stay because it wasn't very inviting. We drove down the street to the near-by RV campsite general store to pick up some munchies. When we booked this trip we had imagined being able to relax in the morning on the balcony with some coffee/fruit/pastries. Instead we were up at the crack of dawn, showering and packing to get out of there.

Overall, I'm surprised at the rates they would charge for this. When I think that I could pay about the same amount of money and be able to stay at one of the nice wineries in Temecula with luxury bedding, room service, fireplace and soundproof walls I wonder why anyone would stay here. I hate being so harsh but to call this a resort is misleading. Even with the discounted price, I feel my money would have been better used staying at a name brand hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cr8ed1
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had a trip planned for me and my wife for a mini "vacation". When we got there we couldn't find the place because its under renovation...so look for "The Castle". The "resort" is anything but a resort, more like an average motel with nice scenery. The pictures for this place are COMPLETELY misleading and whoever is writing the other reviews for this place are probably staff in some way...if you looking for an average place then this the spot for you. The only thing we liked was the hot tub.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank JThrasher
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Okay, it's kind of a cute throwback to the 50's, maybe 60's. Apparently it has changed ownership since there is a recent name change, but there has clearly been no attempt to upgrade anything.

Let's start with the lobby-central area. The main building is huge, and empty. There is a desk for check-in, a counter that doesn't appear to have any use, a table that has a couple of brochures, and a giant empty space of maybe 300 square feet. Looking at the hotel map, there is a kitchen adjacent to the giant empty space. There are also a couple of rooms (meeting rooms?) and a sauna/spa area. Out on the patio is a big, old, deep pool, 9-1/2 feet deep - don't make 'em like that anymore. There were five cheap plastic lounge chairs and a couple of tables and chair sets. Two vending machines and an ice machine. One or two women work the lobby and manage the property.

Our room, I mean our junior suite, consisted of a fairly large rectangular room with a balcony overlooking the golf course - nice. It had a desk that was 24 inches deep, a 19 inch box television which was a little too small and too far away from the bed to provide maximum viewing enjoyment. There was a comfortable chair in the other corner, but no light source near it. And, wedged between the TV and the desk was a microwave stacked on a refrigerator. Bathroom was tucked behind the main room - thus the suite designation. Good water pressure in the shower. Toilet paper was a reach.

Now for some constructive criticism: 1) There is no pool towel service. I asked, she said use your room towels and we will replace them later. I guess that's how they did it in the 60's. 2) There is a refrigerator and a microwave, but there is no market within miles. They could easily stock a corner of their empty space with basic hotel groceries, sundries, and gifts, and I'm sure the two ladies in the lobby could find time to sell stuff to guests. 3) The golf course next door has a perfectly fine sports bar/restaurant that they could maybe have a stronger relationship with, maybe even room service? They do keep a menu in the lobby, but why not put a menu in each room? In fact, there is no literature whatsoever in the room. I asked the lady if she had any information, brochures, discount coupons, etc. on the many local breweries and wineries. No such luck. 4) The "fitness center" has certainly seen better days (in the 60's). Maybe they could upgrade some of the equipment and vacuum up the cobwebs. 5) There is no jacuzzi (but there is a sauna, go figure), and they have five "soaking pools" in the garden area, which are kind of like mini-hot tubs and didn't look that appealing. 6) Parking is not far away, but it's up a fairly steep hill, making it difficult for the infirm and aged, which should be a target customer demographic. In fact, the landscaping could be improved to make the luggage trip to the rooms easier without having to negotiate a few small flights of steps.

Weighing the pros and cons, and considering all the alternatives in the area, I would not stay here again unless they make some effort to upgrade the facilities and improve the services. I believe the place has a lot of potential, but it's a little too unnecessarily rustic for my (wife's) taste.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mhanna4
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed at this "resort" for 3 nights. Our reservation was made about a month in advance for "The Villa", a 3-bedroom unit located on the Tuscany Hills Resort property, with the first night paid in full when we made our reservation. The day we were supposed to arrive I phoned the Resort to ask them a question, and was greeted by a recording saying the number I was calling had been disconnected. Same result when I phoned their fax number. I was in a panic thinking we were without a place to stay! My husband was in the area, and I asked him to go over to the Resort to see what was going on. Turns out - as their sad story goes - the property had recently been sold. My husband spoke with the new owner, who told him that the previous owners would not leave the property, that they were fraudulently taking reservations, and that our reservation money had been paid to them, not the current owner. If we wanted to stay there, we would have to pay...AGAIN!!! Our credit card company is currently investigating the claim, and for now the original charge is on "HOLD". We ended up staying 3 nights in the "Villa", a 3-bedroom unit on the property, which we paid $300 or so a night for - somewhat pricey for Escondido. For the price we figured the "Villa" would be amazing, which it is not. The unit itself is dated and dark, in need of a good cleaning, a LOT of light bulbs replaced, and some renovations, especially in the kitchen. There were plenty of plates, but many were broken, few matched, and many of the dishes had been put away without being washed. In the bedrooms we found inexpensive linens, the cheapest comforters, and bathrooms that needed a good cleaning. You shouldn't have to wonder "what IS that all over the bathroom wall?" Fortunately there were 3 bathrooms in the unit, because we ran out of toilet paper and had to take a roll from the upstairs bathroom. The first night we were there we put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door so we wouldn't be awakened early in the morning. We forgot to take it down, and as a result never received cleaning service that day. OK, our mistake...but no one from Housekeeping even bothered to phone to see if we needed anything. We didn't leave "The Villa" at all that day, so I know for a fact that no one followed up. For what we paid, "The Villa" was a huge disappointment. But what was most upsetting was phoning the Resort and not being able to get through, then learning that our deposit was not going to be honored. The new owners had all of our contact information, but never bothered to try to reach us to let us know what had happened. This is a small operation, and the whole time we were there, we only saw a handful of rooms occupied. It's not like they were overwhelmed and couldn't find the time. Previous reviews of this property when it was Castle Creek Inn mentioned poor service - the new owners don't appear to be any better.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank LindaBernieBoo
SharylAnn, Manager at Tuscany Hills Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Let me begin by apologizing for any confusion with regard to your reservation. The previous owners not only fraudulently booked reservations, but when they were finally removed from the property by law enforcement, the had also removed all records and any information about who might have booked the property. That included your contact information. Needless to say, this created quite a mess.

As to the housekeeping staff not checking with you, our policy is to honor the request of our guests. When a "Do Not Disturb" sign is placed on the door of any room, our staff is under strict orders to honor that request unless their is an emergency. We always respond to the needs of our guests and had their been any request made during you stay, it would have been attended to very promptly.

The new owners of the resort have been making upgrades and improvements to the resort as quickly and efficiently as possible so as to bring the highest quality and most comfortable accommodations to all of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
#14 of 16 in Escondido
Welk Resort San Diego
Welk Resort San Diego
#2 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Tuscany Hills Retreat? Share your experiences!