“Bad experience at Dixon lake” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 53 things to do in Escondido
San Marcos, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Bad experience at Dixon lake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

In April 2014 I went fishing here for the first time. I ended up with no fish and a 46 dollar parking ticket. Fishing is poor. I have 55 plus years of fishing experience. At Dixon lake i tried to catch fish with nightcrawlers, a major brand of floating bait and a silver lure for six hours. I never got even a bite and never caught a fish in that 6 hours.!! They gave me a 46 dollar parking ticket for parking in a SIGNED PRIMITIVE AREA behind two other vehicles, on a semi- paved,semi- dirt un-repaired road. There are NO signs that show valid permitted parking in the Primitive Area. I parked under trees for shade leaving VERY AMPLE room for any possible traffic. The road here is about 45 feet wide.!! Some (FEW) parking signs in this primitive area have " arrows" to indicate DO NOT PARK, BUT most signs do not have arrows.. There is VERY poor signage in the Primitive Area in my opinion!! This is a major PARKING TRAP in my opinion and I have over 50 years of driving experience with no parking tickets for maybe 25 years. Roads in this Primitive Area appear to be NOT REPAIRED for maybe 40 years with uncountable rough potholes. Not good for your vehicle. Also, another car about 3 pm was parked directly in front of a NO PARKING sign , 200 feet from my vehicle. And that car was also parking directly in front of a water hydrant !! There is no water at or very close to the picnic tables and giant squirrels are everywhere in the picnic area. It is a little bit upsetting to see so many fat squirrels. I am a USO volunteer and served drinks and food to warriors at Camp Pendleton in early 2014. I am a good citizen but I cannot recommend Dixon lake.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank JOHN334188

Escondido, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Camping & fishing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Good family spot. There is hiking trails (watch out for rattlesnakes), camping (but no pets nor fires) and trout fishing. I haven't fished yet but plan to this year!

Visited October 2013
San Diego, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Ringing in the New Year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We got invited to camp here for the first time for New Years Eve. The site we were at had a beautiful view of the lake on one side and the city of Escondido on the other. Kind of cold, but we had a lot of blankets. (no electricity unless you choose a site with full hookups)

They allow 2 vehicles and 4 adults/4 Children per site. We had 3 vehicles and 5 Adults, so we had to rent two spots. (still affordable) We only used one spot though, we used the other for parking and put all our tents on one spot.

On the plus side the sites are far enough away that the neighbors don't bother you, BUT when camping with friends that can be a negative I suppose.

There is group camping which we might check out for a bigger group when it's warmer.

We didn't stay long enough to enjoy the lake or the hiking. I would stay two nights next time because check out is too early to do anything fun if you only stay one night.

The only big bummer.. you can't have a WOOD fire. :(

Visited January 2014
1 Thank PaulaJeanSD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tons of fish...just don't count on catching any!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband went fishing for a day with his boss. They didn't start until 9:00 am they stayed until 5:00pm and all they got was a sunburn. So when my darlinf husband told me , I knew I could do it better...LOL So the next Saturday morning we got up at 4am went to Walmart got many kinds of bait we got 6 types of line and multiple lures and sunblock...and off we went. We got to Dixon at 6am ready to fish my dh boss came also...we sat there all day!!! Two bites..and they escaped the hook both times. The license office says that they are not fed, yet the fish are not interested in bait, lures or marshmallows!!! This review is not about my pride, this is a typical experience at lake Dixon...just ask the locals

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jaidynsmama
Escondido, California, USA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice leisurely hikes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

We are intermediate level hikers and the trails around here are pretty leisurely. The campgrounds are well maintained and it's a nice place for picnicking.