“Different than the zoo”

San Diego Round-Trip Theme Park Transport: San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Ranked #1 of 54 things to do in Escondido
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Step into an adventure like no other at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park! Your exciting safari experience includes seeing herds of rhinos, giraffes, antelope, zebras, and more roaming natural habitats, a choice of guided safari expeditions, and beautiful walking trails to see exotic animals. Come experience the excitement of getting up close and personal with rare Sumatran tigers at Tiger Trail, the Safari Park's newest experience!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited on Christmas Day thinking it would be empty. Well not empty at all, but not as crowded as summertime. the best was watching the gorillas open their Christmas gifts the staff set up, tree and all.
This park concentrates on conservation and preservation of endangered animals.
If you go, stay around for the once-a-day Cheetah Run. There is nothing quite like witnessing a cheetah, the fastest mammal, running at full speed.
The trails are great, the rides are great. We did a Segeway tour that will no longer be available beginning in 2013, but we loved it. We were able to get up close to the animals.
We are thinking the "Snore N Roar" camping experience might be a fabulous thing to do next time we visit. You get to sleep overnight in tents in the park.

1  Thank DenverCyn
There are newer reviews for San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The reviews already posted about the park give a good impression so I won't be redundant. The conservation mission of the park is admirable and the tour guides are well-informed. My daughter and I chose this park for one of our outings because it offered a zipline tour. I can honestly say that it was the most fun I've had in years. The views, the sensation of flying, the value for the money was all exceptional. You can go to YouTube and see it for yourself. On the way up to the platform, the tour guide explained the great conservation efforts of the park, including saving a herd of elephants that would otherwise have been destroyed. I had no idea, and after hearing about how the money is used I was less reluctant to part with mine in the park.

It was fun to see the little kids get up close to the goats, etc. in the petting zoo and to watch them talk to the interactive zebra (who actually makes expressions when he/she talks). Towards the end of the day I could see that many of the children were tired and just not into it anymore. So maybe a half day with little ones would be better. The park is spread out so you'll get your exercise going up and down the pathways. But there are plenty of places to stop and rest if you need to do that.

1  Thank CAtriper
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Traveled to Safari Park for Christmas break with just my wife and I.

Positives - HUGE, extremely clean, ridiculously family friendly, up-to-date, the wild animal tour is possibly the best animal experience of all time outside of the actual wild, the bird sanctuaries are amazing, very friendly staff.

Negatives - park is almost TOO spread out, little pricey.

GO TO SAFARI PARK, almost better than San Diego Zoo

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is the best zoo/animal park we have ever visited. The safari ride is fantastic, taking you across the beautiful plains and land which house the larger animals and a great diversity of wildlife. The trails are also lovely, and we enjoyed the shows offered at different times throughout the park. If I had to choose between here and the San Diego Zoo, I would choose here every time. We were blessed with great weather, but if it's raining, remember a poncho or umbrella. Nearly everything is outside.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having already been to San Diego Zoo, I was not sure that the Safari Park was going to better it. Wrong! This is an amazing park, in a wonderful setting, with a strong focus on the conservation work that is taking place. Be prepared for lots of walking around to make the most of your trip and don't expect the animals to be quite so much on show as at the zoo: the enclosures are bigger and more akin to natural environments. It is not a cheap day out, but well worth it and your money is supporting such good work.