Tripadvisor

Ranked #124 of 320 Restaurants in Encinitas
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

If you want an old-fashioned, diner meal, this is the place. The prices and the decor are from the 50 years ago! But that's OK. This is a charming, old-school place. Sit at the bar and talk to the locals or bring the whole family-there are huge tables and video games for the kids.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (76)

Reviewed October 29, 2019

25 years ago my best friend's husband brought all of us to eat at this restaurant and the meals were so reasonable and good i was impacted not only by the good prices but also by how good it was and how large the portions. As time went by her husband passed away and neither his wife of me remembered how to get to that wonderful place,we couldn't remember the name of the restaurant or how to get there since we are from out of town. Today as we were coming from Laguna Beach we started talking about it and she said captain's something was the name so we goggled it and finally found it, we were so excited to go, but didn't know what to expect since it has been 25 years, well we decided to go in and to our surprise, the meals were only up 1 dollar more I didn't know anything about the story of captain keno's but i thought it was a joke they were playing on us. Well the experience now was ever better,we didn't only get to enjoy the delicious food for such a low price, but we also got to meet the owner, the cook who has been there forever and the nice waitress and bartender who greeted us with a big smile and made us feel very special. My friend and I took a picture with them and walked out of there with a big smile and for a while we talked about it on our long way back home. It is incredible how humble,good hearted the owner is, and so is the cook and that young hispanic waitress. our experience was great. Coming back to captain Keno's restaurant is definitely in our plans from now on for many more hopefully years to come. Thank you all for your wonderful service.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 1, 2019 via mobile

Listen...if you don’t like Dives, don’t visit BUT if you want a casual bar and restaurant that is cheap and nostalgic, please visit! Yuppies can go down the street and pay ten times the cost of Captain Kenos! Fish nuggets, pasta, burgers, breakfast, lunch and dinner are above average yet ridiculously inexpensive! Visit before you perish!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

It’s cafeteria food served in unclean conditions. Nothing against old school kitsch but it’s got to be good and the place needs to be clean. If I were a starving student or surfer I can see how it’s a godsend to get a square meal for a very low price. So it serves its purpose servicing that community I suppose.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

I’ll be very bias about this Special place....I’ve been coming here since the early 70’s as a young surfer grommet growing up in North County....friends pooling our money together to get the breakfast special....then we would share them....so when I moved away....Gulf Coast and came back many years later I was anxious to get back and visit my eating spot! It did not disappoint!!! Great comfort food....ate here several times this trip....I still drift back in time and reminisce of the great times of surfing ...eating and visiting Jerry....A must stop!!!! Nothing fancy but the food and atmosphere is awesome!!!

Date of visit: April 2019