“Get your Greek On”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We like Greek American Restaurant and have been going there for years. I disagree with the reviewer who had a bad experience with the owner. We have always had a nice experience with the owner, Rita. It may be that the other reviewer had the grandmother as the server, which is a different experience. It is not that she is rude, I think she is just overwhelmed sometimes and can be a bit short. This is a family owned place and we think that the food is very good, but pricey, which is why we don't go more often. We love the saganaki and we love the gyro plates and the chicken kebobs. The baklava is awesome as well. I think that this restaurant, like so many others, is struggling with the bad economy and is not as crowded as it once was, but the food is definitely authentic and good. For a less expensive alternative, try them for lunch as they always have specials.

1  Thank islascaribe

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Went for lunch with some friends--two of whom are Greek. We liked some of the dishes, thought others were not high caliber. Biggest disappointment was the avgolemono soup--it tasted like Campbells--no rich chicken and lemon flavor, mushy rice. The Taramasalata did not have the slightly briny, sharp flavor we like--it was sort of chalky, as if white beans had been mixed in. The hummus was good, but not lemoney; the skordalia was quite good. Gyros was really nice--but the salad it came with was not that Greek and not so good.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I left my native Greece many years ago and l have missed my mama's coooking. I tried to recover my Greek palate at various Greek restaurants in the States and most of them do a good job but it wasn't until l tried this place that I recalled the culinary memories of my youth. The secret is Cretan chef Manolis who prepares everything from scratch using authentic Greek products, something that justifies the fact that menu prices are not as low as fast-food prices. So, you get what you pay for. To Americans not familiar with Greek cuisine I heartily recommend to start dinner with a spectacular, and healthy and calcium-rich, Saganaki (for two).

Reviewed January 13, 2011

The woman who runs this is an unstable psychopath who can not accept making a mistake on an order, and who has the patience of a flea, I would not recommend this place, despite many favorable comments, these people are shills and wouldn't know good food or service at any cost.

Literally this place is overpriced and owned by a crazy woman.

2  Thank virgofoodie
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Very charming place with excellent, authentic Greek cuisine. Since this is family-operated, you are treated as a special guest. We have eaten here a couple times already and definitely would like to return on our next visit to Encinitas.

1  Thank Sanguijuela