“So so Ocean Inn”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Thousand Oaks
“So so Ocean Inn”
Reviewed September 4, 2006

First room they gave me was not cleaned. Second room just had a small TV. Bathroom fixtures were primitive. Cheap soap, shampoo, etc.. Continental breakfast had no decaf and plastic wrapped pasteries. Maybe not overpriced for the area/season but definitely not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tstevens_21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed March 20, 2006

For the price that you pay, it has all that you need. We stayed 4 nights and never had any problems or complaints. Our room was comfortable and we found the staff to be accomodating for our needs. Most hotels at this price don't have microwaves and refrigerators in the room, this one does. A nice place to sleep after touring the surrounding areas and beaches during the day.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 17, 2006

Don't stay at this hotel!!!

I finally know what a one star hotel is. Management was rude and inexperienced. I was quoted a difference of $7 to upgrade my single room to a double during my check-in. When I checked out the following morning, I was told that I was charged $44 more. Confronting the manager was useless because he says that he is the only one in charge. He tells me that there is no use complaining. The excuse that he gave me was that the person who checked me in was new to his position and that I was quoted the wrong price. I wasn't even given a receipt of my overcharge and was told to leave. At any decent hotel, I'm sure that this would have been considered a customer satisfaction issue and I would have been credited the difference.

Observations that I made regarding this motel includes squeaky uncomfortable beds and damp towels from prior use. It does have the basic accommodations though. But if anything breaks or malfunctions, you're out of luck. Management is closed from 10pm to 7am.

Even if this were the best hotel, I would never stay at a place with such appalling bad customer service.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2005

This is not a fancy motel...it's a decent place, we were there for 5 nights, our room was clean, there's a little stove and refrigerator. We used it as a home base as we explored La Jolla, Ramona, Encinitas, etc. We'd come home at night to a clean room and sleep well. It's not a motel you go to "hang out". You go to sleep, wake up and sally forth, come back and sleep.
The walls are a bit thin, we heard the apparently large person in the room above us walking around very clearly. I ran the a/c fan for white noise since we were on the ground floor by the parking lot. I think most rooms face the parking lot, it's a U-shaped complex. If you're a light sleeper, this might not be the place for you. It wasn't very busy when we stayed so it wasn't an issue, except the one evening someone stood near our front door talking on the cell phone...hard to ignore.
The one thing I would caution, disregard the continental breakfast & coffee unless you like over-processed junk food in cellophane. The coffee was not good, only Cremora-like powder for "whitening" your coffee. I always prefer to eat breakfast out anyway, but some people count on cutting costs w/ continental. It was minimal, to be kind. I think there was some fruit, banana, apple. There is a donut shop just north of the motel, walking distance, that opens early. We never tried it, but it might be worth trying if you like donuts for b'fast or just want to try their coffee. Otherwise, you'll have to drive into town for breakfast, cook your own. or skip.
Regarding cooking, no pots & pans...not sure what the deal with that is, if they have some available and all you have to do is ask or if you have to procure your own. I wasn't interested in cooking so didn't check. I did use the frig for wine & juice. It's one of those little frig's.
Location - drive north, drive south, it's just beautiful. Wonderful area to use as base. You're close to town, but I wouldn't say you're walking distance to the center of Encinitas (which is a cool little town, btw). It's north of town and it starts getting a just a little dark and, dare I say, nearly skeevy in the area of the motel. Not to say I felt scared staying there...it's well lit, the manager's office is right there where they can see everything. It's just that strip of the main drag that it's located on has fallen into some decline. and I wouldn't go walking down the road at night. I never tried walking to the beach from there, so can't comment on that aspect.
I give it a 4 star, not because it's so fancy but because it's great for what it is. A VERY reasonably priced place that's clean, strategically located, friendly management, has a frig for my adult beverages. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank Mantatoo
Reviewed September 6, 2004

Don't stay at this hotel. Below details our experiences with this hotel during our stay from 8/29-9/02/04.

Ocean Inn‘s definition of a kitchenette is two burners, a mini fridge, a tiny microwave (I didn’t know they made them that small), and a sink. Our kitchenette was void of all household items. When I went into the main office to inquire about things to cook with and eat on she directed me to a cupboard filed with dirty pots, pans, and dishes to meet my needs. They didn’t have any utensils so I had to make due with flimsy plastic fork and spoons. I was able to gather basic cooking items and but they didn’t have a coffee pot to spare (thank goodness for Folgers crystals).

I washed our dishes with a package of shampoo plus conditioner (hotel supplied), a large hand towel served as a dishrag and I dried the hopefully clean dishes with a towel, which was intended for my husband to use after his morning shower.

Upon entrance, the room appeared clean. But after an evening of making veal parmesan (note it took 22 minutes for the water to boil for the pasta), I sat down and noticed my feet were BLACK from the carpet . My family tried to blame it on my Birkenstocks but then they noticed that their feet were black too. I took a sip from my mug of cabernet (no glasses were available in the cupboard of horrors) and tried to get the black soot off my feet.

Ocean Inn’s full-service breakfast that consisted of bread, prepackaged danishes, Tang, coffee, and bruised fruit of the day (the day I went in it was pears).

The TV will remind you of why it’s better to keep it off during your vacation. We had the luxury of using two remotes, one for changing the channels and another for the volume. We were constantly pushing the wrong buttons and turning the TV off. We estimate that the cable box is circa 1991.

Other Significant Observations:

1. The bathroom is cozy and has one of those delightful mini tub / shower that would suffice for a six year old. When entering the light wouldn’t turn on but the fan did. After five minutes the light would magically turn on, but by then the duty was done.

2. The ceiling fan is covered in moldy, grimy, dust. My daughter was afraid to turn it on for fear of getting mold/dust thingies on her and the bed.

3. Square footage is limited. There is enough room for two people to eat at the table, but the third must be banished to the bed. Having three people stand at the same time made it quite closterphobic.

Things to bring if you stay at the Ocean Inn:

* Blow drier
* Pot, pans, plates, cups, glasses, silverware, dish soap, dish rag, limited supply of food, and nothing that needs to be baked.
* Socks (old ones, unless you have stain-mastered your socks)
* Breakfast
* Sense of humor

Overall this is the worst so-called hotel I have ever stayed at. Management was rude, advertising was deceptive, price gouging of government employees evident, dirty surroundings, and crappy breakfast. I give it one star because it does have air conditioning and it’s ½ mile from the beach.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed June 16, 2003

We stayed at the Ocean Inn during Christmas vacation of 2002. It is only a short drive to Legoland. The price was very low for such a clean, well-kept room. We have three children and requested a rollaway. It was a little crowded but considering the price, it was well worth it. There was a light breakfast which was very nice.

11 Thank Occasi0nalTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea

Been to Rodeway Inn - Encinitas? Share your experiences!