Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The nice thing about this hotel was the location. The hotel is only about two blocks away from all the shops and restaurants in Encinitas on HWY 101. Also, we could upgrade to an ocean view for only ten dollars more.
The pool was very nice for a motel. The landscaping around the pool was nice too. Although, they should have pool towels available at the pool. The jacuzzi and pool could use more cleaning too. Also, the ladies bathroom by the pool is always blocked with garbage - lots of garbage from the breakfast spot. It is kind of gross and creepy to get past all those piles of trash to get to the bathroom. Yuck! I kept thinking a rat would jump out or something.
The hotel could use some renovations but it as mostly comfortable.
The free breakfast was pretty bad so we ended up eating out every morning.
Parking is free and easy.
Another problem was the spiders! There were spiders in the room on the lights outside the room door - everywhere! We even had a spider run across our table at the Japanese sushi restaurant connected to the hotel. They definitely need to exterminate.
All in all we had a good experience and may return again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank beachmamaesq
Cbelt, Manager at Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Thank you for your comment. We are striving to improve our service and amenities here. I do invite you to stay with us again. Summer is around the corner and that is our best season here in Encinitas.

I look forward to having you as a guest once again.

Christina Beltran

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I was looking forward to a weekend away. I chose to stay here, one step up from the Quality Inn, and willing to pay for it, so I could have a nice weekend. I had booked a smoking room but once I arrived found every room had a huge balcony that allowed smoking so I asked for a non-smoking room, coz they're usually not as smelly. They kindly accomodated me, but the room wasn't ready. So they said to come back in an hour. I came back two hours later. The room still wasn't ready. I found this out by making my way to the room only to find the maid there. The man at the front desk had made a joke about storing my luggage and as I went back and forth from the lobby towing my luggage he made another joke (also, the key was programmed incorrectly once I tried to enter the room) . Once I got in the room, it was clean enough, for a motel but not what I expected from the BW. There were children's hand prints all over the sliding doors and the soap tray in the shower contained hair from a razor. ICK. I am sure it was because the maid was hurried and I told the guy at the desk that. But he assured me they had enough time to clean. Anyway, I probably should have stayed at the Quality Inn where I had lowered expectations.
The location is nice. But you do have to climb the hill to the hotel from the beach and hwy 101. If you take the path it's faster. But on several occasions I found homeless people camped out right next to the path.
The hotel is convenient but not worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2010

After comparing the Best Western and the Marriott (Solano Beach), we decided to stay here because it had ocean views. My only major complaint about this hotel (despite what I read in previous reviews) are the train tracks close by. It was loud. The train passed by numerous (at least 6-8 times) times a day and every time the whistle blew. We heard it as early as 7:30am and as late as 12:00am. We were traveling with a 9 month old, who is a light sleeper at home, but thankfully he never woke up. But, don't be mislead, it was very loud. Anyone who has trouble sleeping may want to consider a different hotel.

That said, this hotel surprised me. It was clean. The king bed was very comforatable. The continental breakfast was average. (I suggest St. Tropez for breakfast. Its a few blocks from the hotel.) The location was great. Easy access to downtown Encinitas and close to the highway. The ocean view was nice. The hotel balconies were set up so every room has a view. Sunsets were great.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Sassymandag
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We've been here several times before and had nice stays, but something must have happened with this location. This recent stay was admittedly during Spring Break, but supposedly this location caters to families and has a tranquil and peaceful environment. But this time was very noisy, we couldn't get good sleep, and the front desk didn't seem too concerned. Neither did the front desk when we checked out ... just a mild "oh sorry, that doesn't usually happen". Basically they had what seemed like several groups at the place, and people from those groups were running back and forth from room to room until very late at night. Talking outside our room very loudly, shouting, slamming doors every couple minutes. Sudden shouting and profanities at 3am right outside our room. Our young children and we were just trying to relax and rest for the coming day. A call to the front desk wasn't helpful, since apparently there was no security personnel, so I was basically asked to try to pinpoint where the noises were coming from. I wanted to rest, not wander outside in my pijamas to investigate issues with rowdy guests. So while this hotel itself and its location are nice, they don't seem very prepared to handle disruptive behavior and limit its impact on other guests who aren't partying until the late hours. We used to recommend this place to our friends, but not sure any more...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Sanguijuela
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western Encinitas while in town for a wedding in October 2009. The location was great. Close convenient drive to beach, restaurants, shopping...and walking distance to many of these, depending on how much you like to walk. Encinitas and surrounding towns and beaches are a great area with a quaint laid back feel. Drive between there and San Diego along the coast is beautiful. Service at the hotel was very pleasant and friendly. I was impressed by the cleanliness and hotel/room decor compared to some Best Westerns. Our room had updated furnishings, very comfortable bed, an ocean view, and above average free continental breakfast, for just over $100/nt. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the San Diego area, and in fact I am pushing to stay there rather than directly in San Diego for an upcoming business trip. My only rationale for an overall rating of 4 rather than 5 is that I wouldn't want to be misleading and suggest that this is a 5 star property but the experience and value were pretty much perfect.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2009

We stayed for 6 nights, attending a family wedding. The rooms were very clean & very spacious. The balconies all had a pleasant outlook & were quite large. The normal rooms had a small fridge, the suites had a kitchen area with cooking facilities & a larger fridge & the bedroom separate to the living area. The laundry room had 2 machines & 2 dryers & change & detergent was readily avaliable at reception. Also, a computer for guests use in the Lobby.

The pool area was really nice, breakfast was good. Its easy walking distance to Encinitas township & theres a Dennys at the bottom of the driveway, also a Wendys & gas station across the road.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there & would happly come back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I selected this hotel when my daughter was 7 yrs old - we took a trip just me and her.
Im a single mom so I wanted safe place- close to beach - close to stores- pool- relaxing balcany-jacuzzi. -- you dont really want to walk to beach with your boards- but you can if you had too.. we did it on the 1st year - but drove down ther in the following years- its fine.
but you walk up hill coming back and we were exhausted- from the all day beaching.

--- we have enjoyed our stays so much - this will actually be our 8th yr in a row to return.
its up on a bluff- you can see way out -- you have ocen view in most of the rooms - expecially on the 3rd floor- nice pool- just regular - but the kids have fun and alwayz seem to meet other kids, laundry if need be, little fridges in room, the beds rock- they are so so so comfortable. walk to few restraunts. drive to any attraction. nice - clean rooms
big balcanys-- and bigger public balcanys-- a train will pass buy and honk - but we like it.
just a nice nice family place-- close to a family beach with snack bar and showers-restrooms- -- great when you have kids of any age.. also a nice nice park you can walk too.. and see off the balcanys. ***** this hotel is definatly worth the stay-expecially w kids.............if you want a romantic setting - and have no kids with you it may be kinda fine- its a nice place, but usually few kiddos- and they get lil loud down at the pool.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Portofino Beach Inn - Encinitas

Been to Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach? Share your experiences!