“Tasty and reasonable”

Swami's Cafe
Ranked #41 of 297 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“Tasty and reasonable”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great value for money, especially the fresh juices! The menu is extensive with lots of vegetarian and healthy choices.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Natakali

Encinitas
“POOR customer service & MEDIOCRE food”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I’ve never written a review on TripAdvisor but this is how bad our experience was. I’ve always wanted to go to the Swami’s off Coast Hwy, so for my eldest daughter’s 7th birthday, I thought we’d give it a try & sit outside to enjoy the beautiful day. The reviews did say “family friendly”. My girls were getting close to being hungry so I asked the gal at the register who took our order, Amber, if there is any way they can bring out the girls’ food first when it is ready. Reasonable request. I’ve asked this many times from many restaurants & customer service focused establishments, & those who see adults with young kids, get it. Amber said all the food comes out at once. Amber is tall, blondish to dirty blondish hair, overweight…you won’t miss her. She might be in her 30s, but maybe she just looks old for her age.

We sat outside & waited patiently. I went back in after 15 min to check on our order, & Amber h&ed me the smoothies. I went back in a 2nd time, then before going up the 3rd time, I checked my receipt to see what time Amber had rung us up. It had been 40 min, so I went back in because by this time, my bday girl & my 4-yr old were complaining & very hungry. I asked when the food would come out. Amber said there was a huge order for s&wiches placed right before mine & that is why it was taking longer.

I went back outside, then the 4th time, 50 minutes later, I went back in. I tried to get Amber to underst& that my girls are now starving. No apologies, no going out of her way to see what she can do, absolutely no customer service skills, she just repeated that the food would all come out at once, & was starting to get offended I was even asking. I offered to help the server behind her check if my food was on the counter because I could see it was piling up behind them. Amber then started to raise her voice at me, creating a scene, & said, “I don’t know what else to tell you. They have all these s&wiches to make, & they will bring out your food when it is all ready. Others DO wait longer than 40 minutes. ” I replied with, “Not for my birthday girl,” again trying to make her underst& this was supposed to be a special lunch. She then said, “Well, they must be spoiled,” then she actually mocked me & said, “Not for my birthday girl.” Being the 44-yrd old, patient, underst&ing, generous mother I am, I let it go & simply said, “It’s clear you don’t have children.” When I asked her for a manager, she said there is no manager, then when I asked her for her name, she ignored it. When I asked her again, she said “That is not your concern.” This gal obviously was more stupid than I had originally thought. Wanting to check on my girls, I went back outside.

The 5th time I went back in, 55 minutes later, I carried my 4-yr old on my side to see if non-sympathetic, no-compassion, customer-service-lacking Amber would finally get it. No luck. A nice older gentleman, who must have seen the exchange earlier, came up to where I was st&ing & asked, “Are you not getting any service?” I said I just want my girls’ food so they can eat because we’ve been waiting for almost an hour. He said straight out, “I would just leave if she keeps talking to you that way.”

The Hispanic server behind Amber asked what I ordered so she can pull that out right then & there from the top of the counter. I told her so she helped me outside with my orders while Amber just kept flapping her lips. I noticed she made a mistake on my order & didn’t specify no bananas in the oatmeal when I clearly asked her to not put them in. Oh yeah, everybody in line saw all that happened & could hear from outside. After another trip back to help the server carry my order out, there were to women who sat next to us & in unison said, “OMG, that woman was so rude to you. I can’t believe she was talking to you that way. That was so wrong.” & they tried to make up for it by proceeding to wish my daughter a happy birthday.

The eggs, pancakes, bacon & oatmeal were bl& & cold. After our meal, I went in to get a box for the fruit & told Amber she had great customer service & thank you. She actually followed me out the door, came to our table & said, “Are you threatening me?” I told her I wish she would leave us alone so my daughter can enjoy her birthday since you’ve already ruined her experience here for her. She then said she had the right to kick me out, then I told her I would be going to Yelp to write a review. She said, “Oh, of course. That’s for people who have nothing else better to do.” Anyway, after she walked away, the two same women from before again repeated how aghast they were with this woman.

Sufficed to say, I will never go back to that Swami’s location, & after tasting the food, I won’t be giving the other locations a chance. After this incident, not only am I making a phone call to the owner, but am personally telling all my clients I refer to establishments in Encinitas to stay away from Swami’s on the 101.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank tribythesea
Copenhagen
“Come here almost every day”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The food here is perfect for what it is, but the staff, they're the best. They are so friendly, helpful, and they let you hang and do your thing. It's a place that makes you feel home immediately.

Visited June 2012
San Diego, California
“want the original surftown feel”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is the place....local as it gets and the full on socal surf culture feel dude!!! hit it and eat it !!!

• Visited May 2012
Carlsbad, California
“Very good breakfast.”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Food is very good and good value.
Don't care for new counter ordering.