“Campy, Beach City, Great Food, Excellant Service”
Review of Le Papagayo

Le Papagayo
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Papagayo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 314 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Leucadia Boulvard
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a restaurant that I have always wanted to try and finally did. It will now become one of my favorites for a drive to the beach area and have breakfast or lunch at Le Papagayo. The food has such a healthy, fresh selection. My son had the crab omlette with avacadoe, served with the best potatoes I have ever had. I can't wait to go back and try other items.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

perfection on a plate for low price and quick service. There was also seating outside or inside. we did not attend the live blues music, but it was advertised for saturday night.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Francois makes every dish special. We love to go with a group and share the variety of appetizers. If you go on a Friday and want to be separated from the live music, ask for the downstairs room.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This place looks great and has the food prices to match a hip beach area restaurant. But it is all just looks. The inside area smells of toilet (only slightly less than the very unclean toilets themselves). The table and seats were not cleaned and we had to dry the beer off our seats before we sat down and mop up random food mess from the dinner table. We had to ask twice for the complimentary bread basket and our water was never refilled. The free bread and passable (just!) pesto were the only thing I ate as the vegetarian paella was literally inedible. Upon seeing the full plate of paella remaining, and being told that it was inedible, the wait staff offered little apology and did not appear to alert the chef to the problem. No alteration was made to the bill to reflect that we'd not been able to eat any of our dinner. Wow. Wow. We will not be going back!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well, to be sure, this was not my first time to Le Papagayo. I've been working down each item on its extensive menu with my friend and co-worker for many, many weeks. I'm often introducing this remarkable culinary experience to others with a personal agenda ... the more people, the more variety of taste-bud-exploding delights for yours truly.

This time, I dined solo ... but don't get me wrong ... it was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had solo!

Every Tuesday is happy hour ... all night long! They offer a great sampling of various tapas at very reasonable prices! So I'm here every Tuesday night ... but I've been known to come back on some Wednesday evenings, too!

I begin with a glass of their Home-made Sangria. It's sweet as I've mentioned before, but it's an essential offset with the fresh berries and fruits in the glass which continues to enhance the sangria one gulp at a time. And nothing else goes better with dinner!

My starter was the Lobster Bisque, which comes with truffle oil. It's rich, but not overly so. The flavor of the ocean is brewed in every drop. Le Papagayo offers warm sourdough bread with their home-made pesto ... (Let me just say, you could dine on this alone!) ... to every table ordering entrees. That pesto is to die for! Spoonful after delicious spoonful ... my mini-bowl is draining. As I finish, I use the bread to sponge up every last drop. (I would have licked the bowl, had the bread not done such a wonderful job.)

Next came my entrée, which was the Lamb Shanks. (I've not had either the soup of this entrée, so first time tasting both.) It was braised and stewed and then presented on a hot cast iron skillet with Le Papagayo's signature fresh veggies, on a small bed of garlic mash. There were two large shanks ... and this dish is easily a two person shared meal ... but I couldn't get enough! The lamb meat easily separated from the shank bone. It was moist, super tender, and offered remarkable chew and flavor. There was just a hint of the gelatinous fat that came from all the braising. Here again, I really enjoyed the Home-made Sangria. If I were more into wine, this would have been a great dish to accompany a full-bodied red wine.

I ate every morsel of the lamb shank! And I sucked the marrow out of the bones!! And then I used my fork to scrape the cast iron skillet ... if I could have deglazed it, I would have easily consumed another basket of sourdough bread sans pesto!

You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. I can't even offer you my favorites because I'd basically be re-writing the menu. My advise: bring lots of friends. Get at least a "pitcher" of Home Made Sangria for every 3 diners. And order up and down the menu with balance. The Flatbread (brie, cumin poached pears & arugula with sangria sauce), Shanghai style ribs, and (on Tuesdays) the Spiced rub lamb chops with two salads: Papagayo (roasted beets, avocado, tomatoes, goat cheese on chopped romaine w/ a sangria vinaigrette) plus Heirloom tomatoes (when they offer it) is a fantastic testament to balance. Then all you have to do is pick "From the Farm" and "Daily From the Boat" to complete your masterpiece of shared dinning!

Executive chef, Doug Moric is a wonder .. and owner, Francois is the ever gracious host ... wearing multiple hats. Everyone on the team has been tremendous ... from the servers to the waiter and waitresses ... just a fabulous team.

2  Thank changrcc