“Great way to learn to surf”

Leucadia Surf School
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: At Moonlight Beach. 16 years in operation since 2002. All equipment, softboard and wetsuit, included. Year-around beginner surf lessons and summer surf camps for adults and kids. Fast results, surf on your first time out. Experienced Instructors, easy waves. Our city permit location is at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, California. We are a fully insured and permitted surf school.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 22, 2015

Gerry and his team kept their promise of getting everyone standing up on their boards on the first day. Motivated by their success, the kids (11, 12 & 15) were eager to keep surfing for the five-day surf camp. He has a low instructor-student ratio, so it seemed as though there was always someone to help the kids catch a wave. His young instructors kept it fun for the kids.

My husband & I also gave it a go and were surprised to find that we too were able to get up on the board (more than once!) during our first morning out there. Gerry took the time to explain some options for me, so that even with a bad knee, I could stand up. He also makes sure to choose a board that suits each participant's size and ability, and gave us the attention we needed in the water.

Gerry's open and easy-going manner put everyone at ease and ensured we all had a great time. The only downside would possibly be the range of ability among his instructors: some were fantastic, making sure to give you the pointers you needed to get up and giving you a push of the right strength at just the right time. A couple were less in tune with their students' needs. Having said that, most of the instructors were great and the kids quickly learned who to avoid.

Date of experience: July 2015
in 8 reviews
"beginners"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed September 25, 2015

Gerry is professional and well versed in teaching beginning surf, but he treats you like you've been best friends for years.

You can tell his first goal is to keep everyone safe. He goes over and repeats many times simple tips to stay safe and ways to make progress after the lesson. But overall, it was a fun day and he kept us laughing. It's been weeks since my lesson, and I'm still surfing. Thanks Gerry!

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank Pepper D
Reviewed August 7, 2015

My 8-year-old son had a free day while we were in the San Diego area, and Gerry allowed him to join in for a day of the usual 5-day surf camp. He had a wonderful time! Thanks to the wonderful instruction, he got up and was surfing with no problems and in no time at all. Full wetsuit (provided) kept him warm. The lessons begin with a short on-beach instruction, then they get them right into the ocean for a total of 3 hrs. Gerry Kantor, the owner, is super easy to work with. It can all be arranged by phone, payment is simple, and the instructions for where to meet, etc., are spot-on. We will definitely be back for more lessons, and next time allow more than a day. My son is hooked!

Reviewed August 7, 2015

We had a family reunion and everyone went to surf camp. There were 10 siblings and cousins together in the camp. Some of the kids could surf, some couldn't. It didn't matter. Everyone was having fun. And everyone learned something over the week. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: August 2015
Gerry7753, Owner at Leucadia Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2015

You say some surf and some didn't? No, everyone surfed. There was one who was having trouble, and his mom pointed him out to me, then I had instructors with him constantly until he was up to speed with the others. Then there was Little Charlie from Knoxville, who was having trouble, but I saw one of my instructors get Little Charlie up a couple times at least, and his dad got a couple photos. It would be great if little Charlie's dad posted one of those. Thanks for bringing your whole crew to our camp, it was great having you. I have a photo of you and the other parents taking photos of your kids, which I will post. Thanks again for having your family reunion at my camp, and thanks for the review. ---Gerry