“Fantastic surf school for kids”

Leucadia Surf School
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: At Moonlight Beach. 16 years in operation since 2002. All equipment, softboard and wetsuit, included. Year-around beginner surf lessons and summer surf camps for adults and kids. Fast results, surf on your first time out. Experienced Instructors, easy waves. Our city permit location is at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, California. We are a fully insured and permitted surf school.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed August 7, 2015

My 8-year-old son had a free day while we were in the San Diego area, and Gerry allowed him to join in for a day of the usual 5-day surf camp. He had a wonderful time! Thanks to the wonderful instruction, he got up and was surfing with no problems and in no time at all. Full wetsuit (provided) kept him warm. The lessons begin with a short on-beach instruction, then they get them right into the ocean for a total of 3 hrs. Gerry Kantor, the owner, is super easy to work with. It can all be arranged by phone, payment is simple, and the instructions for where to meet, etc., are spot-on. We will definitely be back for more lessons, and next time allow more than a day. My son is hooked!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"beginners"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2015

We had a family reunion and everyone went to surf camp. There were 10 siblings and cousins together in the camp. Some of the kids could surf, some couldn't. It didn't matter. Everyone was having fun. And everyone learned something over the week. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: August 2015
Gerry7753, Owner at Leucadia Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2015

You say some surf and some didn't? No, everyone surfed. There was one who was having trouble, and his mom pointed him out to me, then I had instructors with him constantly until he was up to speed with the others. Then there was Little Charlie from Knoxville, who was having trouble, but I saw one of my instructors get Little Charlie up a couple times at least, and his dad got a couple photos. It would be great if little Charlie's dad posted one of those. Thanks for bringing your whole crew to our camp, it was great having you. I have a photo of you and the other parents taking photos of your kids, which I will post. Thanks again for having your family reunion at my camp, and thanks for the review. ---Gerry

Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

Excellent service. Everybody in our family (44, 43, 13 and 9 year old) got good advice and was able to get up and surf ! Special thanks to Lauren !
Excellent service. Tous les membres de notre famille (44, 43, 13 et 9 ans) ont surfés ! Un merci spécial à Lauren !
The Ouisurf gang.

Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

My older kid did camp two years ago we came back this year as my two nine year olds wanted to do it. It's the same great camp that we did 2 years ago. Gerry the owner is just the nicest man you can meet. I will be back if my kids need lessons again.
The ratio of instructors to surfers is approx 3 to 1, which is excellent. The instructors are so helpful to my 9 year olds they help them carry there boards at all time and when there getting tired going over the waves they put them on the board and drag them out. For younger kids this really optimizes there energy.
I was worried my daughter who is not a beach lover was not going to like it they made her feel so good she loved it.
My 14 year old did two days during the week as he felt he needed a refresher, it gave him the confidence boost he needed.
The instructors are really nice so friendly and helpful. George was there two years ago and is a really good guy with lots of experience. I was also really impressed with Lauren also.

Date of experience: July 2015