“Go for the Soups.... Affordable place with decent food”
Review of La Especial Norte

La Especial Norte
Ranked #31 of 302 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I read a few of the comments and I'd say my objective opinion is it's NO WHERE nearly as bad as some of the negative comments post about and it's not nearly as good as some of the ones raving about how authentic and great the food is.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. It's a nice place and the food isn't bad at all. The tacos are pretty good. Nothing near the "best quality or authentic" like some are saying. There are better places. But I thought the chips and salsa were totally great. And the soups here is what you would come for. Their selection of soups was impressive.

I come here when I'm hungry for a chicken tortilla soup. They excel at that here. The place is very affordable. I came with my friend yesterday and we split the lunch bill. We both put in our credit cards and they had some change back. I asked her why there was change and she said the minimum credit card charge was $10 and our bill was only like $9.74 each so they were giving the change. LOL. That's how affordable it is.

I thought the service was prompt and the place was full and many times is full. It's good for a quick bite to eat or a soup.

1  Thank saintba
There are newer reviews for La Especial Norte

Reviewed July 7, 2013

When the kids were small, we camped every year in Carlsbad and this was always our one night out. It was always fantastic, authentic, homemade mexican food. The soup rocks!!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went here as a large group and they ended up putting us at different tables, it worked but would have been better sitting together! They ran out of strawberry & mango margaritas which was a disappointment too. The food was just ok, nothing great. It wasn't bad, but I've had much better mexican food! I've heard the soup here is great, so maybe stick to that!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have been here annually for about six years and had found it to be reliable for most dishes. Not this year! What should have been a basic Mexican meal was below standard --- bland taste, poor value, lack lustre service. It used to be that the soups were always a cut above the norm. Not this time. Too bad. Sorry to see this place on a downward spiral.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the place! We've been going here for 30 years. They have one of the best Chicken Soups in town. Two bowls, a large cabbage salad (very tasty), 2 orders of refried beans and salsa with chips and you're set for about $20. I always have one of Felix's Margaritas while I wait. This is a family business and all the kids went to school locally. Be aware that they take the month of February off for a family vacation. Everyone used to go down to central Mexico where the family comes from, but since the Cartel violence they've been taking time to visit the sights in the States. Great place & great people.