“crossed off my list of Turkish places”
Review of Bird House Grill - CLOSED

Bird House Grill
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
San Diego
“crossed off my list of Turkish places”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The iskender kebap at this place has been problematic for years. I was first astonished when I saw they poured ketchup over my kebap instead of the special tomato sauce which is a must. Being a Bursa native - home of Iskender kebap - that was beyond blasphemy. Nevertheless, I went back after some time to see if anything had improved. Alas no. In fact, when I confronted the owner about using ketchup, she vehemently denied it, and served the kebap with hastily prepared canned tomato sauce. What is going on with this place? The problem is that the customers have been mostly non-Turkish, and clueless as to what they should expect. Even the chicken shishkebap was wrong. Deeply disappointed.

2 Thank Biber10

San Diego
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No good anymore”
Reviewed August 12, 2007

After getting more customers, things changed for this store.
1. Food is not as good as before (it seems they hired new cooks who doesn't know their food well)
2. Price up 30%
3. No credit/debit card, cash only.
This restaurant was good enough for me to come back many times from UTC area. But it is now not good for me to go back anymore.

1 Thank GoodandFun
san diego
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Something different”
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The food at Birdhouse restaurant is superb! From the philly cheesesteak after a day at the beach to a more authentic turkish dinner like the famous iskandar plate, you can't beat this place. Fridays and Saturdays they even have belly dancers! I suggest taking in a bottle of wine (no corkage) and enjoying the atmosphere that puts you in a small village in Turkey for an hour or two. Seating is limited, so call ahead or get there early.

I am getting hungry just writing about this place!

1 Thank Adayatthebeach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great food”
Reviewed November 29, 2005

A delightful authentic turkish/greek restaurant. No ambiance, just very good food. Very reasonable prices. Family owned. We understand they are looking for a new location with more seating anywhere along the coast.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member