“Many Great Vegan Options”
Review of Native Foods Cafe

Native Foods Cafe
Ranked #56 of 302 Restaurants in Encinitas
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I loved the extensive Vegan menu, which was not just limited to salads and cold selections, which is tends to be the case in lots of Vegan cafes.
I love the hot food selections such as..The Soul bowl , Butternut polenta bites, among others. The Azteca salad was good, however It would have been better with a better selection of lettuces..( was mostly ice-berg and romaine )
The Vegan chocolate cupcakes were divine and piled high with delicious creamy chocolate frosting. I'm looking forward to returning and eating my way through their menu!

There are newer reviews for Native Foods Cafe

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was my first vegan restaurant, and I went with a group. After reading the menu, I was a little confused. It said they had meat, until I read a little more closely what the meat and dairy actually were. I guess I just don't understand why a vegan would want to "pretend" to eat meat and dairy. I have to say, I had a southwest type salad with beans, chicken (?), lettuce, tomato, cheese (?), and tortilla strips. I have to say that if I didn't know the chicken wasn't chicken, I never would have known. The salad was very good. Then I got this beautiful cupcake - carrot cake with cream cheese (?) frosting. The frosting was a little different texture, but it tasted like cream cheese! Later found out it was tofutti. The sweet potato fries were killer good! Nice and crispy. Several home made drinks that were fruit based. I had the watermelon mint, and it was very refreshing.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Due to health concerns my husband is moving towards vegan. While I do not eat much meat I do like dairy and some fish.
We went to Native foods last week and I was very pleased.
The menu was extensive with fresh faire offered.
The salad and I and the barbecue "chicken" bowl my husband had was chocked full of a variety of fresh veggies. I tasted the "chicken" and was pleasantly surprised at the taste and texture.
I will go again and perhaps try a "meatball" sandwich.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere is very open, inviting. All the staff were super nice and everything was freshly made. I can't say it was the best thing I ever had but it was a pretty decent meal after a week of eating on the go. It would be especially inviting to those who are vegetarian, vegan or looking for a gluten free meal!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This restaurant is located in a neighborhood shopping center next to a Ralph's supermarket and near Trader Joe's. They are open for lunch and dinner with plenty of seating available so there's no need for reservations. The prices are around $12 per person. The food is healthy, fresh, appetizing and creative. The ambiance is casual, busy and happy although sometimes noisy. (Outside on the patio is better for conversation.) Definitely kid and even dog-friendly. The menu changes with the seasons and each holiday brings on a special dish. Desserts are lovely and non-guilt provoking. We've joined their buyers' club in order to get a freebie every so often. We're so thrilled to have a reliable vegan restaurant in the neighborhood!