“Sunday Breakfast/Brunch not their best”

UNION Kitchen & Tap
Reserve with OpenTable
UNION Kitchen & Tap is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 314 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: J Street
Description: UNION Kitchen & Tap offers New American Cuisine in an inviting, warm, and comfortable restaurant setting. The frequently changing menu relies heavily on organic, local ingredients and offer a variety of options to choose from including seasonal salads, hearty sandwiches, and a number of signature dishes for meat eaters and vegetarians alike. UNION Kitchen & Tap also offers a full complement of local craft beers, small vintage wines, and signature cocktails.
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have been here a few times in the evening and it's a busy place with somewhat spotty service but the beer and food is quite good. We tried the Sunday Breakfast/Brunch and while the breakfast pizza ( more like breakfast on thin pizza ) was quite tasty the coffee was nothing short of awful. We also noticed of the people willing to brave the rancid coffee would often find the self-serve pots were almost always empty and the wait staff never seemed to check on them without prompting. It's a fun place to go but go for the beer and the noise and you will enjoy your visit, if you are expecting good service you will be disappointed.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Amazing hamburgers and great salads. a very fun place for lunch. Great service too.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

This place is bringing up the hipster class in Encinitas. The atmosphere here is very cool and trendy. The menu isn't very big, but the food is very good (except brunch). They have a fantastic beer selection and make great craft cocktails. The main bar area has huge windows that open up to bring in the warm coastal climate. This place gets very crowded at times, but is worth checking out.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I have been trying to eat here for a year or so now. My boyfriend and I would go surf at Swami's and on the way back home try to get a table at Union at around 6:30pm but were always met with an hour plus wait. This time I was with a friend, stopped by at 5:30pm and no wait!

We ordered the soup of the day, which was a seafood bisque, the Watermelon Salad (red & yellow watermelon, arugala, avocado, ricotta salata and a sherry shallot vinaigrette), the Original Flatbread (grilled figs, Laura Chenel Goat Cheese, and balsamic onions) and side of their bacon mac n' cheese. The soup was phenomenal, especially after getting out of the cold ocean water but the watermelon salad and mac n' cheese were just okay. The flatbread was delicious...a perfect blend of sweet, salty and tangy.

The service was attentive. The atmosphere and people-watching were entertaining. Overall, I'm glad I didn't give up on trying to get a table at UNION.

1  Thank sdsurfkitty
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We came to Union for a laid back, casual brunch - the antidote to the expensive & crowded Easter buffets.

What we ordered: beignets, breakfast flatbread, brioche egg in a hole, chicken & waffles and finished with the peach crumble & bourbon pecan gelato. Everything was delicious with the breakfast flatbread and bourbon gelato being my favorites.

I read some of the reviews & we didn't encounter any of the 'bad' critiques: we had reservations for 11:25 but I arrived a little early & was seated right away; food came quickly and it was piping hot; the prices were reasonable and service was excellent. Ask for Max - he was our awesome waiter!

We will definitely come back.

1  Thank srv2sd