“Great week of camp!”
Review of Maui Surf Academy

Maui Surf Academy
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Maui Surf Academy beginner and first time surfers are our specialty! Whether you've tried it a few times or never at all it's no problem. We can accommodate surfers of any level and personalize classes to suit your learning needs with beginner through advanced training. Our patient and skilled instructors will take you from the sand to the sea and be with you every step of the way.
Encinitas, California
“Great week of camp!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My son is 8 years old. He had no experience surfing. The staff to camper ratio allowed for all 8 of the kids at camp to get up on their first few attempts. A very efficient lesson on land and right to the water! The kids had a blast. Their confidence in the water grew each day. The instructors were skilled and great with the kids. Many shouts of encouragement and congrats could be heard! Relaxed atmosphere, huge smiles, requests to get back in the water (after hydrating, snack and reapplication of sunscreen) and a very happy 8 year old surfer. I highly recommend Matt and his team to all.

Visited July 2013

San Marcos, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“MAGICAL DAY IN THE SURF”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had never surfed in my life, but had always wanted to so I finally scheduled a private lesson with Matt.
Setting it up was simple over the phone, he had a good vibe from the get go, very straight forward explanation of what to expect and where to meet.
Matt showed up 15 minutes early and ready to go. He suited me up in a wet suit and we headed down to Swami's. Unlike what I had seen on TV or the internet where you spend on hour on the beach getting talked to, Matt explained clearly what to do, then we hit the ocean within minutes.
We paddled out and he explained what to do simply as we floated in the water getting comfortable with the board and ocean. After some in water instruction he turned my board to the shore and gave me a push and I picked up speed, he shouted "Stand Up", which I did! No kidding the very first time I tried to stand up I actually did and it felt amazing. The first 4 times I tried to stand up I did, with some nice crashes, until he taught me how to dismount better. The rest of the day I was up more than down (it can be tiring) I highly recommend Matt and Maui Surf Academy. I did not expect to be able to learn how to surf so fast and to love it so much. Great instructor, great experience. You have to do it.
Kyle Aug 12, 2013

San Diego, California, United States
“What I really liked about my first lesson with MSA”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I booked my lesson but I was super delighted by Matt who was very helpful and skilled at teaching me things about surfing that made me feel more at ease and confident in the water. I had taken some lessons with other schools before but by far, Matt and MSA made my experience the most fun! I found that Swami's Beach is a great beach to learn at as well, and so with the right instructor, that's a killer combination right there.

When I'm learning something new, having fun and learning from someone who is personable, knowledgeable, and patient is a huge plus, and this experience makes me feel even more enthusiastic about getting better at surfing.

I'd definitely recommend MSA to anyone, young, or old, for surf instruction.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Matt and one of his instructors worked with our four kids (ages 8-13) for two hours. Each kid was up on his second or third try. Huge smiles on everyone's faces. We can't wait to do it again.

Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Lesson!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Matt is a great surf instructor, and a really nice guy. He worked with everyone in my group until we all were surfing.

Visited July 2013