“Great Experience”
Review of Maui Surf Academy

Maui Surf Academy
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Maui Surf Academy beginner and first time surfers are our specialty! Whether you've tried it a few times or never at all it's no problem. We can accommodate surfers of any level and personalize classes to suit your learning needs with beginner through advanced training. Our patient and skilled instructors will take you from the sand to the sea and be with you every step of the way.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Have to say I was initially hesitant of heading out for lessons, since its always seemed something that I may not enjoy as much, but I have to say that after my great experience its truly changed my perspective and respect for those who do surf. I was recommended by some coworkers to give this place a try, and if I can to ask for Matt. Not knowing what to do and also being my wife was interested in trying as well, but it was a risk since shes not much a water person, she still opted to try it out since I wanted to. I have to say happy wife happy life as they say. I contacted Maui Academy on a last minute effort to see if I could get a lesson with my wife the following day, and low and behold the person who responded back was Matt. Now mind you I have never surfed and thought it was something I may not enjoy as much and getting my wife to enjoy this would be a shot in the dark. Needless to say, fastforward the next day, we are at the park waiting for Matt to arrive and within minutes of meeting Matt we felt very comfortable and actually amped up to get this lesson started. He was very patient with us and was very personable, made it feel like we were hanging out and learning with a friend and not just a client, which made it comfortable for my wife as well. Lets just say, she so out surfed me and within minutes with Matt she was catching waves left and right, and I was still searching for my first. But thats the thing, I was not down about it, because seeing my wife happy and trying something out of her realm and enjoying it was worth the experience. Matt was very professional and as noted he was teaching us how to enjoy this new adventure, rather than make it a task. After a few times out with Matt, I was able to catch a few waves and it was an amazing feeling. People walking along the beach were commenting that my wife actually was doing very well and had great form, and thats thanks to Matt and teaching us methods that worked for us. My wife was even inquiring about how we should go about finding the right place to continue to learn this sport and what to look for in a board. Not sure if it was the great weather or experience in learning to surf, but i have to say at the end of our lessons, we were laughing, happy and just enjoyed our lesson with Matt. He is very knowledgable and friendly and treats clients like friends and that makes things easier when your trying to get situated and just trying to learn something. I will surely go back and refer others who want to learn to surf to reach out to Maui Academy and ask for Matt, you wont be disappointed. Thanks Matt for a great time out on the water and giving us a great experience that we shared together on the water.

There are newer reviews for Maui Surf Academy

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our family of two college students and two adults booked a two hour lesson while vacationing in San Diego. We are from central Illinois and arrived at the lesson with absolutely no knowledge of surfing. Matt is an excellent instructor. After a few minutes of instruction on land, we were in the water surfing! Matt brought surfing to our individual levels and was so encouraging and fun to be with. We never felt awkward or uncomfortable. If you are reading this, you are probably considering surf lessons. Look no further, surf lessons at the Maui Surf Academy were the highlight of our trip.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Matt said he could do that for me and he did. I surprised myself! My grandson who lives in San Marcos takes lessons from Matt and loves every second of it.

Two of my other grandchildren will take lessons from him this summer
while they are visiting from Alaska and Texas.

Signed,

A happy grandmother!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Had a two hour private surf session. Matt was my instructor. I stood up the first session! Matt is a superb instructor, with a wealth of knowledge; very professional and patient, emphasized safety, and is a gentleman. He kept the instruction simple and it worked! He provided the wetsuit and board. I signed up for four more lessons at the discounted rate before the day was over! I am a female, in my late 40’s. Thanks, Matt!!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I'm from Massachusetts and was traveling with some coworkers for customer meetings just north of San Diego. We realized we had an afternoon off so on a whim we decided to take a surfing lesson. Never tried it before, but have always wanted to. Matt stepped up on short notice and took us out for a lesson. We had an amazing time and both of us not only got up, but rode a handful of waves all the way to shore. It was the best time. Matt is a great teacher and takes a genuine interest in his clients' success...I highly recommend Maui Surf Academy.