“The best surf school in North County San Diego”
Review of Maui Surf Academy

Maui Surf Academy
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Maui Surf Academy beginner and first time surfers are our specialty! Whether you've tried it a few times or never at all it's no problem. We can accommodate surfers of any level and personalize classes to suit your learning needs with beginner through advanced training. Our patient and skilled instructors will take you from the sand to the sea and be with you every step of the way.
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Had a 2 hour lesson with Matt from the Maui Surf Academy at Swamis today. It was easily the best surf lesson i have had here. I have now experienced 3 different schools in the area and Matt is both the best surfer and the best teacher i have yet met.

He is great at getting you out, good at helping you get going but the difference is that he is a true waterman - taught and grounded in the Hawaii surf traditions it is more than a lesson in how to stand up it is a lesson in how to read the ocean, how to be patient, both immediate things which help you progress and an ethos which will help for the long term. I would thoroughly recommend Matt and his services, It was killer. And i locked in a rail and tracked along a wave for the first time! Stoked.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 23 reviews
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 2, 2011

A friend of mine set up a private lesson for me with Matt Allen while I was in town visiting. I had never been surfing before and was a little nervous. Matt made me feel completely comfortable in the water and eased my nerves. I was able to stand up on my third try. Matt is incredibly personable and provided good tips throughout the lesson. I will definitely schedule another lesson with Matt when I come back to the Encinitas/Solana Beach area.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Couldn't have been a better experience! Matt's patience,skill and confidence helped this 62 year old late blooming "surfer girl" achieve #1 on her bucket list . Matt helped me adjust to accommodate my knee replacement and actually get up on second wave.When the student is ready, the teacher appears ! I can't recommend Matt and Maui Surf Academy highly enough!

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We gave my son a series of SUP lessons for his birthday. He is 13 and though he was eager to learn, he was a little nervous about taking this step. He was opposed to a group setting. So I began looking for recommendations. I called our local surf shop and they highly recommended Matt at Maui Surf Academy. Matt was extremely professional. He was a great communicator and it was easy to set up a lesson. He was fair and easy going, yet I confident that I could trust him with my son. I totally felt that my need for assurances about my child's safety were heard. My son had a great time and was very excited about SUP and surfing. He felt a great sense of accomplishment and enjoyed Matt's company, as well as his instruction. I would not hesitate to recommend Maui Surf Academy to friends. Matt is personable, friendly and warm. All of his gear was new and was included in the price of the lesson. I did some price comparison and found that Maui Surf Academy was competitively priced with other surf instruction offerings. We were so happy with the level of attention we received, that I actually think it is an excellent value.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband was attending a conference in Carlsbad and we found the Maui Surf Academy online. I was hesitant to book with a company I did not know as I would be surfing for the first time with my children while my husband was attending meetings. Matt accomodated all of us. He provided everything we needed beach side. He and his wife were wonderful with my children. We ALL got up several times - ages 44, 8 and 11. We felt comfortable the entire time and had a perfect afternoon surfing. Thanks Matt and Maui Surf Academy. We would recommend you to anyone.

Been to Maui Surf Academy? Share your experiences!