“Pretty dreadful”

Souplantation
Ranked #196 of 303 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Healthy, Soups
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my first experience with Souplantation and it fell far, far, below my expectations.

For some reason, it is set up so when you come in the door you immediately are steered into the salad line, cafeteria style. It is typical, boring salad stuff, with NO meat. At the end of the line there is a cashier, so you wait while the people in front of you dig through their purses, wallets, pockets to pay for their meal. And the meal is not inexpensive, when you figure you are basically just getting a salad and soup.

You then get seated, and I went on the prowl for something with protein. Lots of bread, lots of pasta, baked potatoes, nothing really satisfying.

If you are looking for carb overload, then by all means come here. Otherwise, stay far away.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was a joke! Restaurant is just too small a space for this kind of a meal. Uncontrolled kids running everywhere, food everywhere, staff seemed short and hurried. We love vegies, but this was a real factory and there was not enough protein to make a satisfactory meal for us. We wont return to this one for sure.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have eaten at Souplantaion several times when I visit family in Encinitas. Have always had a wonderful meal. Soups are hot and delicious. Salad bar is great! And getting fresh baked chocolate chip cookies is a bonus. Keep up the good work, and hope to be back there soon!

1  Thank Roylene D
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Cafeteria style dining is OUT ! I find it depressing to even walk in the door. Food is way down from where they used to be, and I just don't think there is anything positive I could say about the experience except I didn't get sick from it !

Reviewed March 13, 2011

On almost every point of the last review. Is accurate!
Note: we enjoyed the Chula Vista and Rancho Cucamonga locations the review is only for Encinitas.
For us.... On Sunday March 13th 2011 at 730pm (day of the clock hour change) we must have gotten here at RUSH HOUR, cause we stood in line an extra 7 mins (done making salad) waiting, as each group ahead of us had to be seated... Due to a lack of adequate seating. The salad was fine... (What you would expect, after all it's SALAD!)... Everything else was BLAND !!! Where's the salt...? Gotta give it SOME taste.
2 Adult DINNERS with Drinks +tax = $27.14. WOW!!! (For Salad??)
Our Trips to "Pannera Bread" have never cost $25, but at least there we could take what we didn't finish, home with us. Ting ting from the kitchen heard today also. Kids running a muck, (but SP can't really be held responsible for that. Oh, it took staff 40 minutes to take our trays and first(and second round) plates from our table even though they were stacked neatly at the edge of the table.
So, in short: expensive and bland= won't be going back to them soon... Find a different SP location or go to Panera there is one at the forum shops down the street. Good luck with your experience

P.S. My wife wants to add that the restrooms were filthy!!!