“George and Debbie takes care of you like family!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed the view of the ocean from our room on the third floor. We felt so welcomed having arrived from Sweden. The motel is walking distance to the beach and restaurants. The Moonlight Beach is a wonderful beach to take long walks along, bare feet in the water...Encinitas is a good place to come to to recharge your body, mind and spirit.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Rbfearon
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Rbfearon,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I've said this before, but once again, "we have met so many new and wonderful people as guests" and we treat people like they treat us, so the family attitude seems to go both ways. This is why we consider The Moonlight Beach Motel a unique property that so many new and return guests have come to expect with there stay here. Your description of Encinitas can't be put any better.

We look forward to your return ... cheers, geo & deb ...

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I surprised my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a amazing stay, close to everything. Great Bakery and Bubby's gelato was outstanding. The best mexican restaurant was a little hole in the wall La Especial Norte also walking distance. Also walked in the morning to the beach with coffee in hand. If you want to take a drive there is Carlsbad outlets, La Jolla and Belly Up Tavern. We are from California but it's nice to play tourists every now and than. We stayed in room 307 what a beautiful view of a full moon at night. My husband made us breakfast in the morning. Would love to stay there again. Thank you for the flower left in our room, sweet touch.

Room Tip: 3rd level great view:)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Purplelevis
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Purplelevis,

Happy Anniversary ... may you have many more at the Moonlight Beach Motel ...

"We are from California" Yes being a local and a tourist can be very fun! It makes you realize how lucky we are in Southern California and how many things there are to do in the Encinitas and North San Diego County area ... The Birds of Paradise are back in bloom, and Deb knows how to put that little extra touch into a first impression so naturally.

See you next year for 21 ? We hope so ...

cheers geo & deb ...

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Contrary to another review, the manager, George bent over backwards to make our stay as comfortable & welcoming as possible. He & his wife Debbie were amazing! We (2 60-plus couples) were struggling to find longer-term accomodation in the area, & had decided to spend one night in a Motel. We came upon Moonlight Beach Motel & secured the last room. It was fairly dated (hence the lowish star-rating) but had everything we needed, & was very large & clean. There was a constant supply of free coffee in reception, but George kindly provided us with our own percolater & trimmings. He showed us a range of restaurants when we asked about eating out, & we chose one of his recommendations, "The Tavern", where we had an excellant meal. We had the offer of beach chairs to watch the sunset from the nearby beach. Overall, this is a motel, not a 5 star hotel, & what made it a great experience for us all was George & Debbies attentiveness.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MDKR
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

MDKR,

Thank You for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and your kind words.

I was so glad you were able to take the two bed suite for the two couples since we didn't have two rooms left that night. Kind of like "summer camp" LOL

We hope your adventures continue in the USA ...

cheers, geo and deb ...

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Last week we needed to escape the heat in Menifee so I booked a one night stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel. We stayed in room 304 which commands a great ocean view. The room was roomy and the "mini-kitchen" well stocked with dishes, pots and pans as well as utensils...oh, did I mention the balcony complete with table, chairs and umbrella? There is also a great patio and BBQ area for guests. George and his wife were friendly and most helpful. We look forward to another visit!

Room Tip: Rooms from to the left left of and including #304 (facing the ocean) have the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda L
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Linda L,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Moonlight Beach Motel on TripAdvisor.

Yes ! we had a lot of guests escaping the heat from CA and AZ this year, and we have been very lucky to have had one of our best weather summers in years ...

We hope we don't have to wait till the next heat wave to see you now that you know the motel :^)

cheers, geo & deb

Reviewed August 12, 2012

But if you're looking for a nice little spot right on top of a very good beach this is it. Go for a 2nd or 3rd story room on the west side, great view. Everyone was very friendly and tried to accommodate as much as they could. This isn't the place if your looking for a lot of amenities but if your like us & just want a clean, quiet, comfortable place to stay between trips to the beach, this is a great choice. Our room even had a proper kitchenette with a full size fridge and all supplies (other than food). No expensive eating out necessary.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theblueroan
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

theblueroan,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor ...

“It's not the Taj Mahal”
Well you have put us up against some tuff competition !
But you have the right idea of what The Moonlight Beach Motel is all about !

Keeping the “kichenette’s” stocked with all the amenaties is not easy,
It seems with families in different rooms forks and plates have learned to walk from room to room But we always tell everyone, if you don’t have it we will try and find it ASAP !

I can’t say anymore except "thanks" and we look forward to your next return …

Cheers geo & deb

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had issues with George the manager the last time I stayed at this motel, but decided not to say anything at the time

I have been trying to book a room for my wife and I for about a month now, George has been very weird and unresponsive, and has told me I can not book a room anymore, which is very weird, I attribute this to my speaking out about a few things on my last stay, there was a lot of construction last time I stayed, I told George I never knew it was as bad as it was going to be, he became very upset with me when I pointed out that construction was not part of my vacation, my car was constantly dirty from dust and other construction debris, George seemed to care less when I informed him I was not happy. We ended up leaving, and figured George would be gone as he seemed like he could care less and was very angry generally, we thought (naively) that George was on his way out. We were wrong, George is still the manager for some strange reason!!

I have stayed at this motel many times, well before George came on board, I think the owners (not George) can do a lot better for a manager in my opinion, I have decided not to stay at thismotel until George is no longer with Moonlight Beach Motel. I have no problem with this Motel or theowners, my problems are with George and his awful attitude.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kleeottorogers
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

This is my third attempt to respond to this review. It seems there are different rules for truthful responses to slanderous reviews. With that said, I leave it to the Trip Advisor readers to read all the true and honest reviews of the management at Moonlight Beach Motel. Please feel free to contact us personally if you have any questions about this review. I would be glad to tell you the truth.

geo.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We booked a couple of days and the mangers were so very helpful in answering questions about the property and area. The rooms was a bit dated but very comfortable and clean and the view from our room was wonderful even though it was a block or so from the beach. My daughter and husband were able to play their acoustic guitars quietly on the balcony at night enjoying the sound of the ocean and the sea breeze. My daughter enjoyed walking to the beach and was thrilled that there was a boogie board she could borrow and we enjoyed the access to restaurants as well. George and Deborah were very accommodating, even when we checked out they were so kind to hold the guitars in the office while my daughter had a afternoon surfing lesson. We defintiely will go back, hopefully for a longer visit next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank R M
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

RM ...

Again and again I have to say "Thank You for taking the time to review your experiences in Encinitas and The Moonlight Beach Motel on TripAdvisor. It keeps giving travelers an idea of what Encinitas and The Moonlight Beach Motel is all about.

"The rooms was a bit dated but very comfortable and clean"

"dated" ? yes, a bit rusty and dusty at times ... but when your 400 + / - steps to the beach, and the ocean, that's the price buildings and rooms pay ... it's not easy, but Thanks for saying "clean"

Yes, all the guests that take surfing lesson's at LeucadiaSurfSchool. come home happy,
Moonlight Beach is a nice place to learn to surf ...

We're just upset we missed the "acoustic guitars concert, quietly on the balcony"

cheers, geo & deb

Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach
Portofino Beach Inn - Encinitas
2 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Ocean Palms Beach Resort

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!